Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 06-25-2005, 09:20 PM   #16
Ninetales
Deactivated

Ninetales is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Probiotics info

My son was helped by HSOS - homeostatic soil organisms. Made by Garden of Life, I think the company is called.

However, some health experts say that you ideally should not take any kind of probiotics for a variety of reasons, one of which is that every individual has his own peculiar ratio of intestinal bacteria based on his/her diet. They recommend that no matter how sick our guts may be, it is much better to feed whatever few bacteria are there with substances that encourage the quick proliferation of these few healthy bacteria. A common supplement for this purpose is F.O.S. made from chicory root or dahlia. One other objection to supplementation with any kind of probiotics is that it can take an awfully long time for the probiotics to actually implant themselves in the lining of your guts and establish themselves.
Ninetales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 11:18 PM   #17
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

hmmm......that sounds like pharma companies talking to me.....I don't believe that probiotics react the same in every body...but adapt to it. I take the Garden of Life ones....They are good.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 07:44 AM   #18
Ninetales
Deactivated

G'mornin', Cobluegirl. The info on how probiotics work (or not) came from (the late) Robert Gray, a real expert on bowel function and cleanout of old wastes that have been there since Day 1. He wrote an exhaustive book on this topic. He formulated a bowel programme made by Holistic Horizons. Believe me, friends, this formula does everything it says it will. (No, I'm not selling this or anything...just was very impressed.) He was the one who stated that probiotics, not being matched to your particular strains, take forever to implant. And even the Garden of Life literature says you should take their product for a long time (they are admitting this process is s-l-o-w). And the other probiotic companies don't even talk at all about implantation, as far as I can see, and please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:29 AM   #19
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetales
G'mornin', Cobluegirl. The info on how probiotics work (or not) came from (the late) Robert Gray, a real expert on bowel function and cleanout of old wastes that have been there since Day 1. He wrote an exhaustive book on this topic. He formulated a bowel programme made by Holistic Horizons. Believe me, friends, this formula does everything it says it will. (No, I'm not selling this or anything...just was very impressed.) He was the one who stated that probiotics, not being matched to your particular strains, take forever to implant. And even the Garden of Life literature says you should take their product for a long time (they are admitting this process is s-l-o-w). And the other probiotic companies don't even talk at all about implantation, as far as I can see, and please correct me if I am wrong.
hmmm did you mean to say that GOL says NOT to take it for a long period?? What is the title of the book? I would be interested in reading it.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
Old 06-28-2005, 10:33 PM   #20
Ninetales
Deactivated

Garden of Life recommends that you take their probiotic product for a long time. They don't come out and say it, but that is because it takes so long for probiotics to implant (to make a home in your gut once and for all).

The book by Robert Gray is entitled The Colon Health Handbook and is about 68 pages, if I remember correctly.

Nevertheless and notwithstanding any of the above (sounds like a lawyer, right) the Garden of Life product is a very, very good type of probiotic indeed.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:27 AM   #21
CakeLady

This is all new to me, but DH has some intestinal problems (pain, gas, etc). I am sure he would love to know I just said that.

Anyway, can anyone recommend a specific brand and a place to get some. We are in AZ and I wonder if Sprouts or Henrys (both are farmer market type health food stores) or maybe Whole Foods. I don't know. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:03 PM   #22
PurpleButterfly
Rose Garden

PurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond repute

Culturelle is one of the best and is available at most drug stores. Be sure to store it in your fridge.

Fighting for my life against Carcinoid Lung Cancer
PurpleButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 07:06 PM   #23
Katherine

We're learning more about keeping bowels cleansed and healthy, too. I'm totally new to all this, but dh has used some bowel cleansing products made by herbalist Dr. Richard Schultz. I won't provide a link b/c he does sell products and his site and published materials are peppered with "colorful" language here and there. But he seems very knowlegeable and gung ho about healthy bowels. It's interesting stuff. You can just google his name and you'll find his website.

I have never used probiotics.. still assimlilating all these different "natual living" ideas.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:11 AM   #24
Zoesmama

Good to know about the ear infections I did not know that. I have been giving acidophilus for bms and did when she was on antibiotics for ear infection. Although she only seems to get bm problems the first couple days on them(only been on 3 times twice was ear infections). Next time I think I will try acidophilus before rushing in to see dr. for antibiotics.

I've always been a big yogurt eater and now that I think about it they seemed to disappear on own, I did get ear infections chronicly since I was a child. They have lessened since I stopped drinking a lot of milk I'd say in junior high. I know they have linked ear infections to cows milk.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:25 PM   #25
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

There are lots of ways to treat EI's instead of antibiotics and if she is getting them lots..that is a good indicator of an allergy...could be milk...could be something else.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

Old 08-07-2005, 08:31 AM   #26
Lilly_of the_ Fields

Regarding taking probiotics for a long time so they can take root - any indication of how long?

I took some for a few weeks, but its obviously not been long enough as I'm back to how I was before - bloating, wind, sugar/carb cravings, pimples and (bizarrely, black bags under my eyes). I'd had dental surgery a few months ago and took 2 courses of antibiotics afterwards, one of which was Flagyl - Metronidazole - which I know kills off "intestinal life forms" ( lol) as it is also prescribed for giardia and colitis (amongst other things). Wish I was back to my old self, as I feel like I need to be turned inside out and hosed down!
Old 09-18-2005, 09:12 AM   #27
~yogamom~
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Just a mom trying to figure it out like everyone one else!

~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleButterfly
Culturelle is one of the best and is available at most drug stores. Be sure to store it in your fridge.
Here's a second vote for Culturelle. I swear by that stuff!
~yogamom~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 12:12 PM   #28
JJsMom
Rose Garden

JJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes all this info is a bit overwhelming. I need to look into this some more, my ds has allergies and I would like to be doing everything I can for him, but sometimes I feel like I get obsessive about his health. I have started to learn about health, but there is just so much to learn, my head is swimming!
Gave birth to my J-bird 10 yrs ago (ds)
Homebirthed my LuLu 7 yrs ago (dd)
Homebirthed my Punkin' seed (and Great Grandma's namesake) 4 years ago. (dd)
And had our newest arrival, JellyBean 2 years ago. (dd)

I still miss my Great Grandma every single day. I'm not ready to take her picture out of my avi. She feels closer this way.
JJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 11:41 PM   #29
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJsMom
Sometimes all this info is a bit overwhelming. I need to look into this some more, my ds has allergies and I would like to be doing everything I can for him, but sometimes I feel like I get obsessive about his health. I have started to learn about health, but there is just so much to learn, my head is swimming!
yeah I feel this way too...and it doesnt' get any easier the more you learn...then everyone changes their opinions...and it starts all over again.. critical thinking enters the picture..lol

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

Old 01-07-2006, 03:47 PM   #30
joyfulmomof2
Rose Trellis

joyfulmomof2 will become famous soon enough

I am trying to understand all of this too. If I take acidophilus or eat yogurt with live cultures, you are saying that helps ear infections, etc. and will replace the need for antibiotics?

Homeschooling my two sweet kiddos:

Dino - 10 & Princess - 7
joyfulmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote