Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
SubarbanHippie

Unhappy Spanking for Accidents

I was heartbroken when lurking at another forum I joined (I think just prior to finding this one) and I read a woman saying she spanks her baby (a baby, mind you, not an older child) for spilling his drinks and moving during diaper changes. I remember I once harshly scolded my son for spilling some orange juice and my mom witnessed it. Not a proud moment for me, but I had been really frazzled prior to that and I lost my cool. Anyway, my mother pulled me aside in private and said, "you really shouldn't crush his spirit like that for an accident just because it put you out. Do you bawl out your husband, because he spills his coffee all the time?" And she was right. Why am I willing to excuse my husband's and my own "oops" moments, but spank or scold my son for having them? Being a child he should be more excused, because he doesn't have the awareness or motor skills of an adult yet.

My mother said when she was growing up she was spanked for wetting the bed or throwing up anywhere but in the commode, even when she was very young. To me, spanking a child for accidents just because you don't like messes, therefore, your child making a mess is somehow a sign of willful disobedience makes my skin crawl. It took every ounce of my will to simply log out and not respond with something that wasn't very Christlike. Seeing that the "spank for literally everything" mentality seems to be prevalent at that site, I can't foresee myself ever going back. It hurt me so terribly to think of some little eighteen month old baby feeling very embarrassed over spilling their food or drink and having their mommy inflict physical pain and further shame and then lecturing them on how it's sinful for them to make messes.

ETA: Mods, if my post is out of line or comes across as gossiping, please feel free to let me know and I will gladly edit, or delete the thread. I don't want to fan any flames, but this is a subject I know I've struggled with as a mother and one I really had to pray about and train myself out of doing (although I never spanked for accidents, but I did scold), so it really hurts me when I see someone coming up in that same way.

Last edited by SubarbanHippie; 04-17-2012 at 09:45 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
3boysforme (04-17-2012), blondie (04-18-2012), danou (04-17-2012), Zooey (04-20-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 04:40 AM   #2
raining_kisses
Deactivated

..a little child, born yesterday, A thing on mother's milk and kisses fed... ~"Hymn to Mercury"

raining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanking for Accidents

It is so hard to witness or know stuff like that happens.
raining_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:00 AM   #3
WI Mama05
Rose Garden

God, you've got this!

WI Mama05 has disabled reputation

I've unfortunately witnessed this first hand. It's SO and WRONG if you know anything at ALL about child development!
WI Mama05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:30 AM   #4
happyhousewife
Rose Garden

Constantly striving to be a gentle mother.

happyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to all

I think it is wonderful that your mom took you aside and gently spoke truth in love to you. I have never spanked for accidents either but I have scolded too. (not my proudest moment ) I have grown so much through the years and I am so so so very greatful for this forum of loving mamas that have helped me. I am a better Mama because of GCM!

So glad you are here MrsJacks!
Mama to
DS1- 13, DS2- 9, DS3- 6

happyhousewife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to happyhousewife For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (04-19-2012), momyshaver (04-18-2012), Peridot (05-13-2012), SweetCaroline (04-18-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 05:53 AM   #5
momyshaver
Rose Trellis

Grace is for mamas too!

momyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud of

that is hard to witness

What sort of response did the poster receive? Did anyone have any feedback for her or was her action validated?
momyshaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
mrsd
Rose Trellis

mrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond repute

How sad that this happens. Fast forward ahead 60 years, the child is grown and caring for an elderly parent. The old lady is shaky and spills some juice...the child slaps her. That would be elder abuse.
mrsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:05 AM   #7
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

It makes me sad too.

When I hear about children bing spanked for wetting themselves, or vomiting, I ask the person how they would feel, if, in their old age, they are slapped for losing control of their bodily functions, because in reality, it probably could happen.

I usually get and the person moves on.

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
momyshaver (04-18-2012), PaperMomma (04-18-2012), rjy9343 (05-13-2012), Zooey (04-20-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 07:25 AM   #8
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute

I was a clumsy, fast-moving child with not-so-great fine motor skills. Some of my worst memories have to do with being "punished" for spilling my drinks.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HuggaBuggaMommy For This Useful Post:
Peridot (05-13-2012), Snugglebugmom (05-07-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #9
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

That is truly upsetting to witness. I understand needing to process that verbally!
Quote:
What sort of response did the poster receive? Did anyone have any feedback for her or was her action validated?
I know--I can't help being curious about that, too, HOWEVER, for the sake of our guidelines in the UPP forum, rather than discussing the course of a conversation on some other forum, let's focus on our own experiences, our own realizations on this topic, or how we might approach this if it were to come up with a friend.

I really LOVE the wisdom your mom shared with you, MrsJacks. Were you able to "receive" that from her at the time she shared that, or did it take awhile to sink in?
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to katiekind For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (04-18-2012), momyshaver (04-18-2012), Zooey (04-20-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #10
hey mommy
Rose Garden

I am so hopelessly in love..

hey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond repute

My FOO spanks for potty accidents. It's horrifying and I'm glad I don't have to watch anyone do it. It's heartbreaking. I don't remember if my parents did or not though... I know my sister did.

I get annoyed with spills of often and it's no my proudest moment. Sad to say, I do get angry about them sometimes. But i'm often the one who has to remind my DH that it was just an accident, kids spill, and it's okay. Everything can be cleaned.

It is horrible to read about/see others doing it, especially when you can't do anything about it.

Janice (ISFP), single-mommy to Cias(11) Samuel( 4) and 2 babies in heaven

Scully: You know, there is life on this planet.
Mulder: I've seen the life on this planet, Scully, that's why I'm looking elsewhere.

A

Check out my NEW facebook page.
I am now a Plexus Ambassador.
hey mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
blessedmamaofmany
Deactivated

I love my life.

blessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond repute

random:

My mom told me the same thing once

When I got upset at my oldest as a toddler for spilling, my mom gently took me to task. "Would you yell at a friend who came over and spilled?" Point made!

Also,
blessedmamaofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blessedmamaofmany For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #12
SubarbanHippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiekind View Post
I really LOVE the wisdom your mom shared with you, MrsJacks. Were you able to "receive" that from her at the time she shared that, or did it take awhile to sink in?
My mother is very good about taking me aside and telling me, ever so gently, "hey, you're making the same mistakes I did, and I screwed up royally. Don't be like I was". Sometimes it stings and I resist, but I always pause later and re-think my tools. This particular incident, with the orange juice, it made me feel so bad I actually went to my son in tears and asked his forgiveness for sounding so angry about him accidentally spilling his juice. He was so cute. He said, "awwww don't cry. People have bad days some times and I need to pay more attention when I'm drinking anyway".

He's a wonderful young man.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
FlyingBlueKiwi (04-21-2012), Hermana Linda (04-20-2012), Llee (05-12-2012), PaperMomma (04-18-2012), Peridot (05-13-2012), Tasmanian Saint (04-23-2012), Zooey (04-20-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #13
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

That is wonderful. Well, as the parent of grown kids, I am sometimes in a position to wonder whether to bite my tongue or say something, you know? I'm glad it worked out and it sounds like you have a wonderful mom and ARE a wonderful mom yourself.
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to katiekind For This Useful Post:
Hermana Linda (04-20-2012), Zooey (04-20-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #14
SubarbanHippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiekind View Post
That is wonderful. Well, as the parent of grown kids, I am sometimes in a position to wonder whether to bite my tongue or say something, you know? I'm glad it worked out and it sounds like you have a wonderful mom and ARE a wonderful mom yourself.
Thank you I know it's hard for my mom. She was raised in an abusive home. She had very definite ideas on how she wanted to raise us entirely the opposite of how she was raised. Sadly, when my grandmother was evicted from her apartment when I was just four years old and she came to live with us, she gave my mom a lot of frustration and pressure to discipline us the way she discipline my mom and aunt. Oftentimes my mother was extremely stressed, unhappy and short-tempered. She has expressed her regret so much, it hurts me that she cannot forgive herself.

We're very close. We have had our battles, but we can say anything to each other, hash things out, and then cry and hug later. My sister and her don't have the same relationship, so my mother is much more reticent to give advice to her about her mothering.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
katiekind (04-19-2012), Zooey (04-20-2012)
Old 04-20-2012, 10:28 PM   #15
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my! Some of the members here were in your mother's shoes. You are an example of gently parented child grown up.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
Peridot (05-13-2012), Reva (05-24-2012)