Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 03-17-2007, 05:47 PM   #1
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone have "The Joy of Cooking" ? I need the shortcake recipe.

I have this cookbook but it's packed away in storage right now. I'm making raspberry shortcake for Simon's birthday party tomorrow but the shortcake recipe that I always use is in The Joy of Cooking. Since we're having company, I don't want to try out a new recipe, if you KWIM.

If you have it, could you please post the list of ingredients and the baking time and temp. (that won't violate copyright). I'll figure out the rest.

(If you feel like putting the directions in your own words, that'd be great but don't feel like you have to.)

Last edited by Soliloquy; 06-18-2017 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Title
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:18 PM   #2
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone have "The Joy of Cooking" ?????? I need a quick recipe from there!!

I hope this is it...it's just the dough recipe? Its with the biscuit recipes, called ""fluffy biscuits or shortcake dough."

450 degrees for 10-12 min.

Sift together:
2 c. cake flour or 1 3/4 c. all purpose flour
2 1/2 t. baking powder
1 1/4 t. salt
1 T. sugar

Cut in:
1/8-1/4 c. butter

Then add:
3/4 c. milk or cream

Stir the milk gently into the flour mixture with a fork. Knead dough lightly on a floured surface for 1/2 min.

Does that sound familiar?

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 05:40 PM   #3
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone have "The Joy of Cooking" ?????? I need a quick recipe from there!!

I never thanked you Kelly.

I was searching Google for this recipe because I got rid of this cookbook and this thread came up!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (03-25-2017), Llee (07-27-2019), Singingmom (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 05:53 PM   #4
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

I am a minimalist and have literally 3 cookbooks. 1 is "joy of cooking" Got it for my wedding and it has certainly been well used.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (03-25-2017), Quiteria (03-26-2017), Singingmom (03-27-2017), Soliloquy (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 06:24 PM   #5
Singingmom
Administrator

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, how funny! I was reading your OP thinking, I have Joy of Cooking, I can check. Then I saw my reply...from 10 years ago! We've been sharing life for a long time. I got mine for my wedding too, 2sunshines.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (03-26-2017), ECingMama (03-25-2017), Quiteria (03-26-2017), Soliloquy (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 06:34 PM   #6
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

I also got mine for my wedding.

I can't imagine parting with it. Use it frequently!
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (03-26-2017), Quiteria (03-26-2017), Singingmom (03-27-2017), Soliloquy (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 10:03 PM   #7
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Mine was falling apart and so many pages were missing it wasn't worth keeping.

I do still have The Settlement Cookbook & The Silver Palate Cookbook, though. I need to get another copy of Joy of Cooking!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (03-26-2017), ECingMama (03-26-2017), Quiteria (03-26-2017), Singingmom (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 08:14 AM   #8
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

I got joy of cooking for a wedding gift too! From my best friend.

My mom got the joy of sex from her mother for her wedding gift. Awkward!!

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (03-27-2017), Llee (07-27-2019), Singingmom (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 02:40 PM   #9
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

My mom got the joy of sex from her mother for her wedding gift. Awkward!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 03:21 PM   #10
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I feel like I'm missing out on a good cookbook. I'll have to see if I can find it in the library.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (03-28-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 03:26 PM   #11
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post
Wow, I feel like I'm missing out on a good cookbook. I'll have to see if I can find it in the library.
Julia Child said to own it. I was glad I already did when I read that. :nerd
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
charla (03-27-2017), Llee (07-27-2019), Soliloquy (07-13-2017), Sparrow (03-28-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 08:33 PM   #12
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Making this again. I really need to order a new book.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (06-18-2017), Singingmom (06-19-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 01:58 PM   #13
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Default Re: Anyone have "The Joy of Cooking" ? I need the shortcake recipe.

I still haven't ordered the cookbook! Making this again for dh's birthday! Seriously, it's the best shortcake. Smother it in macetated raspberries and whipped cream.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:51 PM   #14
Singingmom
Administrator

I saw this thread come up and thought, she must be making that recipe again!

I opened my JOC the other day to the same worn out spot to make drop biscuits.

The Following User Says Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (07-16-2017)
Old 07-26-2019, 06:33 PM   #15
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Summer of 2019. I'm making raspberry shortcake again!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (07-26-2019), Lady Grey (07-28-2019), Llee (07-27-2019), Singingmom (07-27-2019), The Tickle Momster (07-26-2019)