Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 01-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #361
Barefoot Bookworm
Rose Garden

Barefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yelling Support Thread

Err, whoops. Didn't realize this was in a public forum.
Lamb (12),
Miss Mousie (11),
Billy Goat (9),
Wren and Hedgehog (5)!

Last edited by Barefoot Bookworm; 01-18-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Barefoot Bookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #362
slingmamaof4
Rose Garden

slingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant future

subbing

Custom Photo Cards. PM me for details!

slingmamaof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #363
Learnin'2B
Rose Trellis

Learnin'2B is a name known to allLearnin'2B is a name known to allLearnin'2B is a name known to allLearnin'2B is a name known to allLearnin'2B is a name known to allLearnin'2B is a name known to allLearnin'2B is a name known to all

I hate Mary Poppins.

I have my good days and my bad with shouting and raising my voice. I have a hard time determining what is a good firm Mommy-means-business-voice, and where it becomes shouting.

Yelling and hitting was the norm growing up, and then there's Mary Poppins. She makes me feel bad. She never raises her voice at all and the kids do what she says and she sings them a song and la lalala....lies. It's all lies.

Wife 2/9/2003-3/14/2012
Goo-Goo 9/17/2004 (corn free, peanut free)
Sweet Stuff 4/3/09 (dairy free, oat free, nut free) Pretty Girl 12/8/10 (egg free, nut free, dairy free, oat free until further notice) Little Man 12/23/14 (gluten and dairy free)

Messianic Bible Project for Jews: www.messianicbible.com
Endtime Bible Prophecy Ministry: www.endtime.com
Gospel For Asia: Reaching the most Unreached www.gfa.org
Learnin'2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #364
simplegirl
Rose Garden

She's a good girl, loves her Mama, loves Jesus, and Kentucky too

simplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond repute

To me firm is more monotone, and all "nice" is out of it, not mean, but not sugary at all. And the voice is not elevated. I can feel yelling rising out of me. And then, when I'm screaming, it's like an explosion
Coleman 2007
Josie 2018
simplegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simplegirl For This Useful Post:
gpsings (01-26-2012), Kiera (02-03-2012)
Old 01-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #365
shaslove
Rose Garden

shaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplegirl View Post
To me firm is more monotone, and all "nice" is out of it, not mean, but not sugary at all. And the voice is not elevated. I can feel yelling rising out of me. And then, when I'm screaming, it's like an explosion
Had a couple of these this weekend
shaslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #366
green_momma2007

Subbing to this thread. I definitely need help with the yelling. Some days I have to stop myself because it seems that literally every word directed at my boys is yelled at them.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:35 AM   #367
Elspeth
Rose Trellis

Hold on tight and pretend it's a plan.

Elspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina+5 View Post
I became a yeller when I moved spanking off the table. That was a HUGE wake up call for me that I was finding an outlet for my feelings in spanking.
That's what I've realized too. I fuss way too much at my boys for things that they can't help doing.

I've been here at GCM off & on. I'm still finding my way through GBD, but yelling is an issue I have when my patience levels drop, and it needs to be remedied.

Last edited by Elspeth; 01-25-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Elspeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:48 AM   #368
swimming with sharks
Rose Garden

swimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond repute

A totally craptastic week and I lost it on the oldest boy this am as he started throwing legos in a fit of rage at the littlest. Bad combo, exhausted, weathered, momma bear.
'Dragonfly' 6 yo ds
the new kid is 3.5 yo ds
always remembering the one I didn't get to hold

Mary has been healed by the blood of the lamb

swimming with sharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #369
Ellen
Deactivated

Ellen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realize this was a public forum either. Could we have it moved?
Posted via Mobile Device
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ellen For This Useful Post:
jmom1984 (01-26-2012), Naked Camper (04-17-2012), schmamy (01-31-2012), shaslove (01-30-2012)
Old 01-26-2012, 05:23 AM   #370
Daria_Aleksandrovna
Rose Trellis

Daria_Aleksandrovna has a reputation beyond reputeDaria_Aleksandrovna has a reputation beyond reputeDaria_Aleksandrovna has a reputation beyond reputeDaria_Aleksandrovna has a reputation beyond reputeDaria_Aleksandrovna has a reputation beyond reputeDaria_Aleksandrovna has a reputation beyond reputeDaria_Aleksandrovna has a reputation beyond reputeDaria_Aleksandrovna has a reputation beyond reputeDaria_Aleksandrovna has a reputation beyond reputeDaria_Aleksandrovna has a reputation beyond reputeDaria_Aleksandrovna has a reputation beyond repute

I was filing loads of papers on the floor (yeah, smart move while DS1 awake and running about - but there was a reason).

DS1 was trying to cross papers several times. I screeched at him to Stayyyyyyy Baaaack!

Then DS1 said 'I want to hold you, mummy'. (he said that for the first time...)

DD1 (born Mar'15 )

Last edited by Daria_Aleksandrovna; 01-26-2012 at 05:26 AM.
Daria_Aleksandrovna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daria_Aleksandrovna For This Useful Post:
canadiyank (01-26-2012)
Old 01-26-2012, 06:02 AM   #371
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

jenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond repute

I have two girls who yell at each other at the drop of a hat, get into screaming matches, and then the toddler joins in on general principle, and if I want them to hear me I have to be VERY VERY LOUD. So what do I do?

ETA: I am yelling things like, "YOU ARE IN YOUR FIGHT CORNER AGAIN. NO, I DO NOT CARE WHO STARTED IT. YOU, GET OUT OF THAT CORNER AND GO TO YOUR ROOM. YOU, GET OUT OF THAT CORNER AND SIT ON THE COUCH. NO, NOBODY GETS TO STAY IN THE FIGHT CORNER. I WILL TELL YOU WHEN YOU CAN MOVE." (One goes to some corner or other, the other follows and gets all up in her business, and the next thing I know my ears are ringing.) Five minutes later, they're up and playing again.
Wife to John, December 18, 1999 ~ Mother to Sophia, March 13, 2004 ~ Mother to Eva, June 10, 2006 ~ Mother to Matthew, December 21, 2009 ~ Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will lift me up.

Last edited by jenny_islander; 01-26-2012 at 06:06 AM.
jenny_islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jenny_islander For This Useful Post:
gpsings (01-26-2012)
Old 01-26-2012, 06:31 AM   #372
gpsings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

ORANGE you glad I made a new avatar? :D

gpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a huge Supernanny methods fan, but I like to watch her, because her manner with kids is so good as far as voice control and schedules/ time with them. In one episode, she stood on a step and shouted down at a father to show him how it came across to a child. Scary. I do like the idea of 1 clear warning and follow through...I just need an idea for 'follow through' that doesn't involve calling a child naughty and putting him in a shameful spot. Thats the hard part.

---------- Post added at 06:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny_islander View Post
I have two girls who yell at each other at the drop of a hat, get into screaming matches, and then the toddler joins in on general principle, and if I want them to hear me I have to be VERY VERY LOUD. So what do I do?

ETA: I am yelling things like, "YOU ARE IN YOUR FIGHT CORNER AGAIN. NO, I DO NOT CARE WHO STARTED IT. YOU, GET OUT OF THAT CORNER AND GO TO YOUR ROOM. YOU, GET OUT OF THAT CORNER AND SIT ON THE COUCH. NO, NOBODY GETS TO STAY IN THE FIGHT CORNER. I WILL TELL YOU WHEN YOU CAN MOVE." (One goes to some corner or other, the other follows and gets all up in her business, and the next thing I know my ears are ringing.) Five minutes later, they're up and playing again.
I have that problem a LOT. I've been toying with the idea of adding a chore that they have to do together...such as picking up dog mess in the back yard, or scrubbing the walls in one room I'm getting ready to paint, etc. Making them work together? Does that sound like a recipe for disaster?

Gretchen
ENTP
Wife of Kevin
Blessed AP, Homeschooling mama to:
Aneliese age 13, Breena age 10, and Caden age 7

gpsings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:23 AM   #373
schmamy
Rose Garden

schmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond repute

I just snapped and yelled at my DS over lunch. I'd really like to share more and work through the issues, but no way on a public forum. Any update on the possibility of getting this thread moved, or do we need to just start a spinoff where those of us not willing to share on a public forum can speak more freely?
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9
schmamy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to schmamy For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (02-01-2012), jmom1984 (02-01-2012), shaslove (02-01-2012)
Old 02-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #374
Dovenoir
Rose Garden

Dove - noir

Dovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmamy View Post
I'd really like to share more and work through the issues, but no way on a public forum. Any update on the possibility of getting this thread moved, or do we need to just start a spinoff where those of us not willing to share on a public forum can speak more freely?

Me too.
Dovenoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #375
canadiyank
Deactivated
I support GCM!

canadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond repute

I'll start a spin-off.

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

If you can't find it please PM me.
canadiyank is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to canadiyank For This Useful Post:
charla (02-01-2012), Dovenoir (02-01-2012), Elspeth (02-08-2012), gpsings (02-03-2012), jmom1984 (02-02-2012), schmamy (02-06-2012), swimming with sharks (02-01-2012)