Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:18 AM   #166
LadybugSam
Deactivated

ladybug, ladybug fly away home

LadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Household notebooks

everytime i clean my house i use it. Unfortunately its been all i could do to keep up with laundry, dishes, and keeping the livingroom clean.

But i use it maybe once or twice every other week It helps me focus and get things done instead of staring at a huge pile of mess.
LadybugSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:41 PM   #167
TrinMama
Deactivated
I support GCM!

TrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond repute

i'm using mine, even while moving! it was pretty unused for a month or so, but during our long-haul road-trip, it helps to keep things I'd want: recipes, quick info about fevers in kids, that kind of thing. And I've had it open several days this week.
TrinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrinMama For This Useful Post:
mokamoto (08-06-2011)
Old 07-08-2010, 06:42 AM   #168
Tuesdayschild
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Have I forgotten anyone?

Tuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond repute

I find I use some sections more than others... The cleaning routines section I also had great plans for a garden section and got some info on encouraging butterflies and gardening with kids. But that was all I did. OTOH, I use the food section for menu planning and shopping lists every week. And I find having a contacts section v useful too
Tuesdayschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:24 AM   #169
monkeylicious
Rose Garden

here we go!

monkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of light

I'm in the never finished putting it together category aperbag BUT had it out the other day looking to see what it still needs. I do plan to finish it before school starts. G will be at a very active parent involvement school in first grade and E is starting at a co-op nursery school. That will mean I'm very involved there as well. So those along with MMOPS steering team, Daisy co-leader, Bible study, Moms club, and working/taking yoga will have me needing a notebook to keep the house kept up with and my other things a bit more organized. I really want to have things planned/done ahead of time. I feel like with many things I scramble at the last minute to get stuff done
mama to an angel in heaven - july 2005
mama to Evangeline aka evie(licious) - june 2007
monkeylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:01 AM   #170
BlessedBlue
Rose Garden

Have you ever heard a fly roar? Listen carefully!

BlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
Actually, the two things that I find hard about my notebook are, firstly, having somewhere to leave it out. It seems so big in my tiny kitchen and DH goes crazy if he sees it "lying around".
I have problems with clutter attracting clutter. Add to that, children who think an open notebook is an invitation to scribble, rearrange, and who knows what! I have 1 tiny counter that is just big enough for a closed binder (counter not pictured). So, I designed my binder to work in that space. I took a plain white binder with a clear pocket on the front. Decorated it minimally with scrapbooking stickers. (I'm a minimalist, anyway. And I didn't want to waste my energy in decorating . I want it to be functional. There are some pretty notebooks in this thread , but my ADD would be too distracted by them. )

I don't use it every day. Or every week. I'd like to. I am learning how to use it more often. I do think it's great as a refocusing tool, though. So if I feel like I've lost my focus, I definitely pull the notebook out (from the pile of stuff ) and work on updating to-do lists. I put today's to-do list in the front. I have a dry-erase marker sticky-tacked right next to the list. My to-do list might have many things on it, or just a few. BUT I prioritize it. One thing I learned when I owned my own business is to make a list of my 6 MOST IMPORTANT THINGS. Those go at the top of the list. There may be many important things, but those 6 are what are the most urgent, or what will help me feel like I've gotten something accomplished. I draw a horizontal line, and add the rest of the things I'd like to get to. Whatever doesn't get done today I will re-evaluate for tomorrow's list. Sometimes things get postponed until the same time next week.

I also give myself permission to not feel guilty if I'm not using it perfectly. It is a tool. It does help me focus/refocus. As I use it, I am finding that some things (menu planning, to-do lists, budget items, educational goals for the kids) really belong here because they are referenced often. Other things (monthly goals for 6 months from now, non-current-seasonal items, crafting, bills, etc) don't belong in here because I'm not referencing them much, or because it just becomes too crowded. I have a file cabinet for stuff like that. And things can be rotated between the 2.

One thing I still need to do is make a information sheet about each kid (medical info, allergy info, etc.) and a quick reference sheet for babysitters.

sister to Blue-EyedLady since forever
wife to Trooper (Wounded Warrior) 3-98
Graphics designing sapphiremama to EBug 2-04, ABoo 2-06, and Goggle 8-09
BlessedBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlessedBlue For This Useful Post:
mokamoto (08-06-2011), Tuesdayschild (07-09-2010)
Old 08-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #171
Momma2Luke
Rose Bouquet

Momma2Luke is a glorious beacon of lightMomma2Luke is a glorious beacon of lightMomma2Luke is a glorious beacon of lightMomma2Luke is a glorious beacon of lightMomma2Luke is a glorious beacon of lightMomma2Luke is a glorious beacon of light

I must be losing my marbles.. i thought for SURE that i had posted pics of my binder in this thread... but as I don't see it, I must have only dreamt that I did!! LOL!!

Okay.... here is the link that was my inspiration:
http://littleturtleknits.com/blog/20...gement-binder/
Here are pics of my binder:
The Front Cover

The Spine

One of the tabbed Divider pages I made

A Pocket Page that holds medical records within the Family Health Records section

My binder is divided in the following sections:
Homekeeping - keep copies of housekeeping schedule, recipe for homemade laundry soap, garden layout, etc, etc.
Menus - self explanatory!
Budget - all things related to our budget
Parenting - various articles
Self Improvement - nothing in this section yet - the idea was to have a place to keep a list of my goals that i'm working on.
Hobbies and Decor - patterns that i'm currently working on, pics of decor that i like, paint samples, etc.
Birthdays and Xmas - ideas for gifts, list of birthdays (which badly needs updating!), etc.
Family and Health Records - a pocket page to hold medical records, and other family records
Miscellaneous - I tend to put schedules here for things like AWANA, John's work schedule, and anything else that doesn't fit into the other categories get's put here.
Contacts - printed from my Microsoft outlook - all of my contacts, OMWF contact list, church family finder.
Forsynthianicki (08-09-2010), LadybugSam (08-09-2010), mokamoto (08-06-2011), RiverRock (08-06-2010), ThirstyTurtle (08-15-2010), TrinMama (08-06-2010), Tuesdayschild (08-11-2010)
Old 08-16-2010, 05:06 PM   #172
Redeemed
Rose Trellis

Redeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjruiz_415 View Post
Okay I've got mine started. I went over to my mom's yesterday and printed out any form I thought I might need Thank you to everyone who shared ideas and pictures and links of yours! I stole lots from you all! And then got a 2 inch binder and sheet protectors. This is not finished by any means. And I do not think I will actually be keeping everything in a sheet protector, I just need a hole puncher! Also, someone here gave the idea to make a divider out of a sheet protector by adding a tab of tape and a label, so that is what I am doing. I just designed the actual dividers, and just need to get some tabs made up. Nothing is filled out, cause, well, i just finished it this morning. One thing I would love input on is some verses. I have left a little area(s) on each tabbed page for some sort of bible verse or inspirational saying that has to do with the specific topic. The back side of each page is a printed page (with a floral design that I forgot to photograph) where I also intended to print out a verse/saying etc... So if anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them Here we go! Sorry for the funky photos, I had a helper pulling at the binder!

First the front, side and back:

Then all of my sections
Calendar:

I currently have a year calendar and then my vague morning and evening routine (or what they *should* be):

then some weekly calendars. I had already printed out the dated one but then I found the other one, which i like much better. i also found one other that is similar to the second one, but is lined:

Then my housekeeping one. Ithis page!

Then i have a master to do list, where I will list things that need to be done, big things that need to be bought, etc...

Then my daily cleaning list. It has two pages, this is just the first. Things that should be done on a daily basis:

Then some variation of the daily quick clean:

Behind that is the emergency quick clean:

Then my *Super Duper Cleaning List* This one is things like scrubbing the indide of the fridge, cabints, windows, vaccuming under furniture, etc... Things that are not on a regular basis (for my lazy self-lol) So I have it listed with 8 weeks and I will decide which week I will do each room It, too, is two pages long

And then i have a bunch of stuff LadyBugSam linked to (thanks) FlyLady's Detailed Zone cleaning list, FL's 11 comandments, FL's kitchen makeover and her Zone 1 (entrance/dining room) and Zone 5 (living room) makeover lists. Just a pic of the first of many pages:

Next the food section:

right now I've got a weekly menu planner and monthly planner. the weekly's far right section says shopping list, but i think i will just put snack ideas there, as I have a seperate shopping list:

And I *know* everyone wants to see a picture of my shopping list! Next to that is a freezer inventory list. Behind that I have a pantry inventory list, and I could make a fridge one, but i think I may go through those things too fast to make it worth it...

Then a page for recipes to try, and favorite recipes. They both have columns for the recipe, the cookbook/source, the pags, and and comments:

My money section:

All i have printed out is a price list, but will be printing out lists of all my accounts with my log in information. Also my mothly budget, and some other things that I just did not have time to print yesterday!

Faith section:

The Parenting section (thank you to whoever suggested this one) my older 2 helped with the stickers on this one:

Then, the learning (homeschool) section. We are not going to be doing *school at home* so I thought this would be more appropriate. The kids also did stickers on this one:

The reference area:

I have just a birthdays and anniversaries list, and then a famiy yellow pages list, but will put any other info here. Info about each person in the family, random things like that:

and then my littlest helper while I was taking pics
I your binder! I'm working on mine tonight. DH is being a sweetie and cooking dinner since I cooked last night.

Child of God since 07/1982.
Wife to Bryan, my best friend and retired soldier, since 06/2014.

Mom to DD (02/1998), DS1 (08/2006), and DS2 (01/2009).
Two w/Jesus (05/2001) and (12/2004).
Stepmom to DSD (06/2007) and DSS (04/2009).
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redeemed For This Useful Post:
mokamoto (08-06-2011)
Old 08-17-2010, 09:52 PM   #173
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

I've wanted to share my binder with you for awhile and just now got the pics uploaded to photo bucket. I keep losing my post so I'm going to save it often and then edit for more pics. I didn't take pics of every page because some of them are just plain boring.

Front:

Housekeeping section:

Housekeeping includes:
Weekly homekeeping schedule

To do list:

This section also includes a list of things I tend to put off , a long-term project list, a declutter/organization list, all natural cleaners recipes, bedtime routine, and a packing list.

Health section:

This section includes homemade natural personal care product recipes and a guide for essential oils. I'd like to develop this section more.

Weekly Menu and Recipes section:

This includes my menu for the week, the recipes for the week, and lists of ideas for breakfasts, lunches and suppers as well as a list I asked the kids to make of foods they really like for menu planning purposes.

Shopping lists section:

This section includes a shopping list that I've made on the computer, a bulk food shopping list I also made on the computer and a generic shopping list for other stores that I might need to go to such as health food store or Lowes or something like that.

Emergency Preparedness:

I'm just now starting on this section. Right now it includes plans that are in the works for emergency food storage. It's a work in progress.

Gardening:

This is the only thing it includes so far. My square foot garden plan on graph paper with seed packets stuck in the page protector. It works.

Special events:

This section includes an event planning page:

Family birthday and anniversary list:

Gift ideas page:

Parenting:

This section contains gentle reminders to help me parent grace-fully. It contains ideas to jog my memory such as playful parenting, scripting, etc. and inspirational quotes to inspire me.

In the pocket at the back of the binder, I have a list of ideas for future sections for the binder.

Thankfully, I've crossed off quite a few.

And on the outside of the binder on the back side, I have an 8X10 pic of my family to remind me why I am doing all of this.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save

Last edited by charla; 08-17-2010 at 10:10 PM.
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
Forsynthianicki (08-18-2010), mokamoto (08-06-2011), Momma2Luke (08-19-2010), Redeemed (08-18-2010), Tuesdayschild (08-18-2010)
Old 08-18-2010, 11:55 AM   #174
Forsynthianicki
Climbing Rose

Forsynthianicki is a glorious beacon of lightForsynthianicki is a glorious beacon of lightForsynthianicki is a glorious beacon of lightForsynthianicki is a glorious beacon of lightForsynthianicki is a glorious beacon of lightForsynthianicki is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post

And on the outside of the binder on the back side, I have an 8X10 pic of my family to remind me why I am doing all of this.
Mom to:
J Bug dd, born at 21 weeks (2003) from our arms to God's
J Bean ds, "boundless energy" (2006)
Forsynthianicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #175
CakeLady

I need a cool name for my binder....any ideas?
Old 08-18-2010, 12:46 PM   #176
LadybugSam
Deactivated

LadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond repute

mine is my command center
Old 10-24-2010, 02:57 AM   #177
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

Earthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm updating mine in honour of our upcoming move. I'm experimenting with using an A5 binder instead of an A4, because I've moved on to having separate binders for Education/play stuff, NFP charts, and will have a separate one for bank statements etc, call me weird, but to me an A5 binder just feels nicer . Also, it wont take up as much space when I have it open. We're going to have a big notice board with some of the things that were in my folder pinned to it, to make it easier. So there isnt as much to go in the folder.

The only downside is that I am not technically minded enough to print off much of my stuff in A5 sizes, so a lot of it is hand written, which makes it feel less proffessional and organised in my mind. Which is just silly, I know. But that's how my brain works.

Isabel
Mama to BB, 13
S, 4
T, 2
And Miss A 27/3/2020

Always missing my 5 9/10-1/12
My new venture! www.facebook.com/dizzyknits

Earthmummy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #178
LadybugSam
Deactivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenageearthmummy07 View Post
a lot of it is hand written, which makes it feel less proffessional and organised in my mind. Which is just silly, I know. But that's how my brain works.
It may be weird but i'm the same way, so we're weird together
Old 10-25-2010, 12:47 PM   #179
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

Earthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond repute

I figured out how to print in A5!!! Only I can't work out how to print on A5 paper, so I've had to print A5 pages on A4 paper and cut it out. So the edges are not perfectly straight so it *still* feels wrong and I know I will end up hassling DF until he shows me how to print on A5 and do it all again

Isabel
Mama to BB, 13
S, 4
T, 2
And Miss A 27/3/2020

Always missing my 5 9/10-1/12
My new venture! www.facebook.com/dizzyknits

Earthmummy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #180
amen_mama

I have one for my family of 3! I got some ideas from a site called homeschoolmom (I think!) and the rest from that organized home site you linked. I have a seperate Christmas binder full of goodies from that site as well, card checklists, gift lists, thank you card checklists, recipes for gifts, etc. It makes things soo much easier, this is my second year using it.

My binder got thick really fast so I ended up splitting out the children's activities (ie Sunday School, Homeschool Co-op, Sports) into their own small binders and labeled the spines. HTH!!
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
mokamoto (08-06-2011)