Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:36 PM   #1
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute
Question Why does my dishwasher reek?

It smells so bad. :shudder I cleaned out the filter/catch this morning. And ran it empty on hot wash with extra soap and vinegar. I opened it when it was done and it smelled of bbq meat. We have VERY hard water.

Any help or suggestions you can offer are appreciated.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:29 PM   #2
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why does my dishwasher reek?

did you clean all around the doors/seal? also under the door where it sits on the inside part can get nasty. --it gets wet there, but it doesn't ever get "cleaned" by the dishwasher, neither do the seals /edges!

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:55 PM   #3
Findabhair
Rose Bouquet

Findabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud of

Ours had a bunch of algae in it. Smelled so bad! We have hard water too and were using a natural dishwasher detergent. When we switched to a more traditional detergent it smelled better but it really only lasted a month afterwards. It has since died though and gone to appliance heaven so I'm not sure about long term results.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:40 PM   #4
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

Ours is only a year old. I use 7th Generation powdered detergent.

Someone recommended running an empty load with Tang crystals. The vitamin C is supposed to help.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
Old 04-22-2015, 05:54 PM   #5
DolphinMemae
Rose Trellis

(me holding my first granddaughter, Clara Ruth

DolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond repute

We have the same problem from time to time. Dh does something that takes care of it and then it is fine for a while. I'll ask him what he does when he gets home.
Ryan ,Married to his sweetheart, Sara
Kerith - PixieMama Married to her first love Eli
and Benjamin Married to his Precious Gabby
Memae to eleven wonderful grandchildren

DolphinMemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:35 PM   #6
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

We have hard water in our new house. I was using natural detergent but, for the first time since 2006 I had to switch to mainstream detergent. I use Finish and it's no longer a problem. We're hoping to get a water softener in a year and then I can go back to natural.

I did run one cycle with Finish dishwasher cleaner before making the switch.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:07 PM   #7
DolphinMemae
Rose Trellis

(me holding my first granddaughter, Clara Ruth

DolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond repute

He said he used a cup of vinegar with or without a load of dishes. He said we also stopped putting canned dog food on plates being washed in the dishwasher, and also we changed the detergent we were using. I guess we aren't sure which thing resolved the issue with stinky dishwasher, but we aren't having the issue anymore. Hope this helps.
Ryan ,Married to his sweetheart, Sara
Kerith - PixieMama Married to her first love Eli
and Benjamin Married to his Precious Gabby
Memae to eleven wonderful grandchildren

DolphinMemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:20 PM   #8
ShangriLewis
Moderator in Vegetarianism & Veganism

Arrange whatever pieces come your way. ~VW~

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute

You can remove that part in the middle and try cleaning it out. We can't use natural detergent here. I have to use Cascade and lemi shine cleaner.

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

ShangriLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:29 PM   #9
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

We are also on septic, so I'm really hesitant to use a not so natural detergent.

I tried the vinegar today. Not much better.

I have noticed the plastic is all coated in white. :/

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
Old 04-22-2015, 09:39 PM   #10
ShangriLewis
Moderator in Vegetarianism & Veganism

Arrange whatever pieces come your way. ~VW~

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't worry about it in the septic. Try taking apart the middle part. Many dw have grinders as well. There might be something stuck in there.

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

ShangriLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ShangriLewis For This Useful Post:
The Tickle Momster (04-23-2015)
Old 04-22-2015, 09:51 PM   #11
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShangriLewis View Post
You can remove that part in the middle and try cleaning it out. We can't use natural detergent here. I have to use Cascade and lemi shine cleaner.
This
Old 04-23-2015, 06:04 AM   #12
mom23sons
Rose Bouquet

mom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to all

You could have some food particles that aren't getting out and those are rotting. There might be a screen that needs cleaning in there somewhere??
Old 04-23-2015, 07:49 AM   #13
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

. I wonder about particles under something. I'll go back in after today's load. Although, I'm going shopping this afternoon. Maybe I'll look before then.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
Old 04-23-2015, 10:33 AM   #14
squiddles
Climbing Rose

squiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond repute

When I went digging for the source of our dw stench I removed the sprayer thing and found that there was bacteria/food grimy slimey stuff on the inside of holes that water sprayed out. Which makes sense if the dishwasher cycles the water over and over again, the tiny stuff that doesn't get caught in the filter can build up in the sprayer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
squiddles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiddles For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (04-23-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 05:04 PM   #15
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tickle Momster View Post
We are also on septic, so I'm really hesitant to use a not so natural detergent.

I tried the vinegar today. Not much better.

I have noticed the plastic is all coated in white. :/
We're on septic, too. It's not an issue. Finish does not have chlorine bleach and is septic safe.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
The Tickle Momster (04-23-2015)