Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:12 PM   #1
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default tooth pain?

I've had awful tooth pain for about a month. It's located in one specific tooth, and radiates up into my face. I had a cavity in that tooth and figured that was the problem. I finally went to the dentist because the pain was quite bad. The dentist said the cavity was superficial; it took about two minutes to fix. He also said that he doubted it was causing my pain. His opinion was that I had a previous injury to the tooth and the nerve has been slowly dying from the damage, and I'll need a root canal (he referred me to an endodontist). I'd like to avoid that if possible. I have no recollection of any mouth injury. Nothing else looked suspect in my mouth.

Any other thoughts on what it could be? The numbing agent has worn off and the pain is definitely still there.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:23 PM   #2
PrincessAnika
Rose Garden

dreaming of purple butterflies & bravehearted seahorsies :)

PrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tooth pain?

It could have been a few years ago - I had a cavity in a molar when I was 13 that was filled, and 6 yrs later the nerve died....it was right up there with childbirth AFA pain goes. The options I had were root canal or extraction, and since I didn't have insurance I went with the cheaper option. being a back molar though it doesn't affect me much having it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Angel m/c 6/12/07 @39d, 4/19/16 @6dpo, 8/3/16 @37d
DD1 - K (peanut) 7/26/09
DD2 - M (monkey) 4/19/11
DS1 - C (squishy) 3/23/13
DS2 - J (rascal) 2/4/15
DS3 - A 6/16/17
11/9/7/5/3

::Q:: I add a little excitement, a little spice, to your lives, and all you do is complain. Where is your adventurous spirit, your imagination?

add me on FB
ISFj/p - depends on the day of the week. type 2. i think.

PrincessAnika is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PrincessAnika For This Useful Post:
HuggaBuggaMommy (05-12-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 08:47 PM   #3
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

If the nerve died wouldn't it STOP hurting? I mean maybe that's a stupid question, but I'm just thinking that sounds like the fact that it is still hurting might mean the nerve is still alive. I'd get a second opinion (from a conservative dentist, not a to-a-hammer-everything-looks-like-a-nail endodontist )

Also there needs to be some way to test it. Do you possibly have an abscess? I'm assuming he took an x-ray? Anything show up on it?

I would be worried about a root canal due to things I've read about them that may or may not be true, but make sense to me (about leaving dead tissue in) and would be more inclined to do an extraction and an implant.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2017, 11:38 PM   #4
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

When a nerve is done it does stop hurting but the months of pain leading up to actual death is even with heavy duty pain killers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (05-12-2017), HuggaBuggaMommy (05-12-2017), Llee (05-12-2017), PrincessAnika (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 05:44 AM   #5
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

I have kept pain and infection,pain at bay with a broken tooth using coconut oil to brush that tooth with and swish gently. If you are considering root canal would have an endodontist microscopically exam roots.If roots are cracked root canal will cause more pain and wasted $. I went thru horrible pain for 2 yrs with a tooth both before and after root canal

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 07:39 AM   #6
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
If the nerve died wouldn't it STOP hurting? I mean maybe that's a stupid question, but I'm just thinking that sounds like the fact that it is still hurting might mean the nerve is still alive. I'd get a second opinion (from a conservative dentist, not a to-a-hammer-everything-looks-like-a-nail endodontist )

Also there needs to be some way to test it. Do you possibly have an abscess? I'm assuming he took an x-ray? Anything show up on it?

I would be worried about a root canal due to things I've read about them that may or may not be true, but make sense to me (about leaving dead tissue in) and would be more inclined to do an extraction and an implant.
Yes, he did an xray and tests and saw no abscess and couldn't tell if the nerve was dead/dying. He also said my tooth didn't respond to the tests exactly like a dying tooth would, which is why he referred me.

A previous dentist told me I have very low sinuses and my nerves go right up into them. I had a similar situation three years ago and assumed I must have a horrid abscess or something, but the dentist said all my teeth were fine (this dentist also said everything looked pretty good). But last time it was general pain in one area, and this time it is absolutely this one tooth.

Pain is less today but still there. I don't know. I don't really have the money for sorts of exploratory procedures. I don't have dental coverage.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HuggaBuggaMommy For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (05-12-2017), amommy23 (05-12-2017), PrincessAnika (05-12-2017)
The Following User Says they are praying for HuggaBuggaMommy:
Llee (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 07:56 AM   #7
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

cloves like go in pumpkin pie took my pain right away

I will NEVER get another root canal. (mine wasn't even necessary-long story)
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:10 AM   #8
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggaBuggaMommy View Post
Yes, he did an xray and tests and saw no abscess and couldn't tell if the nerve was dead/dying. He also said my tooth didn't respond to the tests exactly like a dying tooth would, which is why he referred me.

A previous dentist told me I have very low sinuses and my nerves go right up into them. I had a similar situation three years ago and assumed I must have a horrid abscess or something, but the dentist said all my teeth were fine (this dentist also said everything looked pretty good). But last time it was general pain in one area, and this time it is absolutely this one tooth.

Pain is less today but still there. I don't know. I don't really have the money for sorts of exploratory procedures. I don't have dental coverage.
If there is a dental school near you you can sometimes get work and/or diagnostics for free or very cheap.

Even though he doubts the cavity is the problem you could give it awhile and see if having had the filling done helps.

I think clove is pretty effective, too, though obviously if there is some sort of ongoing problem it needs to be fixed.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:37 AM   #9
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

The raging infection and cracked root I had did not show up on regular dental xrays when I went thru that years ago

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote