Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:38 AM   #16
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthy Travel Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommylove View Post
Ecingmama, Your room will have a kitchen of some sort. Even the smallest room has 2 burners. There are many BBQ areas around the property...so many things can be cooked on a grill.
I guess this is information from way outside this thread. Since most hotels don't have two burner stoves, maybe a spin off or PM might be good.

I'm wrestling with the idea of taking the instant pot. This is a once in a lifetime thing...returning to the place that really sparked my love for archaeology, somewhere my kids may never see again, and I want to spend as much time exploring and watching the night sky as possible and not scrubbing a pot in the bathroom sink. On the other hand, I have no real idea of what food we will encounter even in restaurants. I guess the first step might be to figure out how to use the instant pot in the first place to see what I can do with it to help me decide.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
bananacake (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 07:42 AM   #17
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hijack your thread. I directed it to ecingmama because I know where she will be. But you're right, it didn't belong in your thread.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:43 AM   #18
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommylove View Post
Sorry to hijack your thread. I directed it to ecingmama because I know where she will be. But you're right, it didn't belong in your thread.
No problem, just confusing.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
Old 03-26-2017, 07:45 AM   #19
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

No need for spin off thread. She's been to the hotel we're going to. Very helpful info for me.

Will everyone else on the trip be okay eating very simply while you are exploring if restaurant meals are part of City driving along the route?

My kids ate very, very, very simple food at Disney World. They didn't care at all. My husband probably cared, but he didn't complain. Nuts and canned fruit aren't normally a meal, but it was there.

Yes, do try your IP!!!
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:52 AM   #20
CelticJourney
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post
...Will everyone else on the trip be okay eating very simply while you are exploring if restaurant meals are part of City driving along the route?...

Yes, do try your IP!!!
Yes, everyone will adapt....dh most of all (the Army taught him well)....so I'm trying to make sure that we have sufficient 'simple' with enough variety.

I need to go and check that IP thread. I just keep looking at it and . (the ils bought it for us for Christmas)

Old 03-26-2017, 07:56 AM   #21
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

I think an IP thread devoted to travel is needed. Will force us to tell you what we make that's simple.

The best part for me is that frozen food cooks pretty quickly.

Freeze meals in quart bags. Cut open.. Dump in pot. Eat! Might take three quart bags per meal but gallon bags cut open wouldn't fit in mine.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:04 AM   #22
CelticJourney
Administrator

Quote:
I think an IP thread devoted to travel is needed. Will force us to tell you what we make that's simple.

The best part for me is that frozen food cooks pretty quickly.

Freeze meals in quart bags. Cut open.. Dump in pot. Eat! Might take three quart bags per meal but gallon bags cut open wouldn't fit in mine.
I think I will try using it at home first and then maybe pursue a travel thread if I get the hang of it.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:11 AM   #23
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

CJ, if your family likes hard boiled eggs, start with that in the IP. Because on a trip such as the one you are on, being able to grab a dozen eggs at a store and in about 15 minutes hard boiled them would be awesome!

In the IP: put the rack in, put eggs on rack, add a cup of water. Select manual
Mode and then adjust the time to 5. Lock the lid and seal the little valve. After it's done, let them sit for 5 minutes. Then add ice if you're in a hotel but I've heard they work fine without. Not messy, no need to worry about scrubbing a pot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 08:22 AM   #24
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that helped us was taking advantage of the hotel breakfast if included where you stay.We have always stayed at those places and could go down and bring however much or whatever we wanted back to room or with us. Depending on all the different things your family eats there was always fresh fruit there and juice and some kind of eggs as well as yogurt and breakfast meats and packages of cream cheese and peanut butter,bagels sometimes muffins, oatmeal,granola sometimes breakfast burritos or egg and vegie omelets http://www.today.com/food/top-10-fre...akfasts-998989

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C

Last edited by mamacat; 03-26-2017 at 08:30 AM.
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (03-26-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 04:14 AM   #25
sweetpeas
Rose Trellis

sweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute

When we travel with dh (he's on business, we tag along and hit museums and stuff while he's stuck working), I try to do as little eating out as possible (we haven't done any traveling since I got my IP for xmas, that's going to make things SO much easier). We do eat the hotel breakfasts, and I chalk it up to an unheathly "treat" for the kids (we're vegetarian and try to eat whole foods at home, but I'm ok with compromising some when traveling). I usually start the trip with some frozen leftovers that can be reheated for supper the first night. I also bring a freezer bag of frozen, cooked rice (the frozen things act as the ice packs in the cooler) and we have rice and beans (canned beans) for a meal. my kids aren't big on sandwiches, but we usually do egg salad sandwiches for the drive out and sometimes I'll bring enough extra for one more day of that for lunch. Most of our lunches I do things like quinoa salad (cook the quinoa in the microwave, stir in frozen peas & corn, shredded/chopped carrots, seasoning, etc.) "black bean salsa" (beans, corn, chopped bell pepper, cilantro, salt, lemon juice . . . I'm missing something). Ummmm . . . I'm drawing a blank on the other meals I've done, but I pretty much search high and low for things I can do in the microwave. I bring a big (but a good sized glass bowl with a lid for cooking in the microwave). I am soooooo excited that from now on I can bring my IP on trips like this it will make the WORLD of different! I can cook pasta (for supper, or to use for pasta salad for lunches)! I can cook beans & rice from scratch instead of bringing the rice pre-cooked and using canned beans. I can make soups, there are several variations on curry that I make in the instant pot . . . it's SUCH a game changer!

Clean up . . . washing dishes in a hotel sink is a pain, but not very time consuming.

When space is tight, I use insulated grocery bags I got at Trader Joes years ago. They keep things cold longer than the regular grocery store ones do, but mold themselves into available space and fold flat when not in use.

Also I NEVER put fresh produce in hotel fridges. They're too unpredictable. Sometimes they're barely cold, other times they freeze everything solid. So I keep produce in a cooler with containers of ice to keep it cold, and change them out morning and evening.

Busy Homeschooling Mom to 3 Sweetpeas:
Lexie & Ashlyn 16 yr old twins
and
Lina, 9
Virtual Accountant and Bookkeeper in my "spare time"
sweetpeas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeas For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (03-30-2017), Maedchen (03-30-2017), mamacat (03-30-2017), The Tickle Momster (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 10:37 AM   #26
CelticJourney
Administrator

I mentioned the IP to dh and his expression was . Again, five people on the road for 15 days straight in one suburban (which will never have one of those tops on it or pull a trailer - I grew up outside DC - looking like a tourist makes you a target).

This is also 'once in a lifetime' and I just have decided that I won't scrub pots in a hotel bathroom on a trip I've waited for for thirty years.

We will definitely use whatever food is available at hotels for breakfast as suppliments

SO...I'm completely fine with anyone who wants to discuss the IP and stuff, but for me, I need easy....maybe even 'grab a bag of this on the way out to hike the Mesa' .... kind of food ideas.

The Following User Says Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
bananacake (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 10:41 AM   #27
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

You can actually buy pre-hard-boiled eggs at the grocery store! And they'll likely have them at hotel breakfasts.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (03-30-2017), mamacat (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 11:03 AM   #28
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Our faves for traveling - maybe you can adapt the ideas to fit your dietary needs:
  • cheese, meat, crackers - like homemade lunchables - I usually add a small squeeze bottle of dijon mustard for these since they tend to be kind of dry
  • a bunch of cut up fresh veggies and a dip like hummus
  • grapes, apples, mandarin oranges seem easiest to travel
  • sandwich spreads - pbj, homemade pimento cheese, chicken salad, tuna salad - bread or crackers to serve it on
  • homemade or store-bought beef jerky
  • individual containers of yogurt
  • popcorn
  • granola bars
  • pb crackers
  • chips/pretzels as a side for sandwiches
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (03-30-2017), Reva (04-28-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 11:54 AM   #29
ECingMama
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticJourney View Post
I mentioned the IP to dh and his expression was . Again, five people on the road for 15 days straight in one suburban (which will never have one of those tops on it or pull a trailer - I grew up outside DC - looking like a tourist makes you a target).

This is also 'once in a lifetime' and I just have decided that I won't scrub pots in a hotel bathroom on a trip I've waited for for thirty years.

We will definitely use whatever food is available at hotels for breakfast as suppliments

SO...I'm completely fine with anyone who wants to discuss the IP and stuff, but for me, I need easy....maybe even 'grab a bag of this on the way out to hike the Mesa' .... kind of food ideas.
I live out West and everyone has a car topper for skiing and such. Only the tourist cars wouldn't.

I think it's reasonable to ask your kids to meal plan ideas for themselves. All of them are old enough to do it. You'll get better ideas from them on things they will eat than from us!
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
bananacake (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 12:21 PM   #30
CelticJourney
Administrator

Quote:
....I think it's reasonable to ask your kids to meal plan ideas for themselves. All of them are old enough to do it. You'll get better ideas from them on things they will eat than from us!
I have asked them. I was just looking for more ideas, and have recieved some good suggestions. Since it a group cooler/food storage, it has to be a group project, not just on them as individuals. But thank.