Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 05-02-2009, 05:01 AM   #61
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immune Booster Recipe

the first time I made it I had to look everywhere but now our local co-op has horseradish or did the last time It may be seasonal. . . fall would be better time to look.

I am currently bribing my children in a major way to take master tonic cuz we were coming down with something and we have a suspected case of swine flu in the neighborhood. I think it's paranoia most of the hype but. . . I am giving them a check whenever they take it and checks are earning them a nintendo ds game.

The other thing is that I am *hoping* that they'll realize it's not THAT bad and take it happily when they get used to it. I take it almost daily.

Honey hasn't worked for us yet Or maple syrup or in juice or in other stuff. Although I thought about stirring it into our chili at dinner time

Lisa, great idea on the netty pot. I put it on topically on someone's rash after you told me you did that and it went RIGHT away. We also tried it on a big pimple and it went away. Actually typing that, Savana has a wart like thing on her arm and I am going to apply some and see if it goes away.

SEriously, this stuff ROCKS. It's my all time favorite immune tool now

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Peridot (05-15-2011)
Old 05-02-2009, 05:07 AM   #62
rosesnsnails
Rose Garden

rosesnsnails has a reputation beyond reputerosesnsnails has a reputation beyond reputerosesnsnails has a reputation beyond reputerosesnsnails has a reputation beyond reputerosesnsnails has a reputation beyond reputerosesnsnails has a reputation beyond reputerosesnsnails has a reputation beyond reputerosesnsnails has a reputation beyond reputerosesnsnails has a reputation beyond reputerosesnsnails has a reputation beyond reputerosesnsnails has a reputation beyond repute

Does it ever go bad?
Mom to J since 2000
Angel Baby Joshua Aaron 2003
Momma to J since 2009 (born 11 weeks early)

Using my favorite smilely as often as I can,

Relying on God has to begin all over again every day as if nothing had yet been done-C.S. Lewis-from a letter To Mrs. L.
rosesnsnails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:43 AM   #63
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosesnsnails
Does it ever go bad?
It just gets stronger. . . we keep it in the dark and wrapped in paper bags to block the light . . .
I don't think it goes bad but ours has only lasted for about 5 or 6 months until it's gone so I am not positive!

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
Old 05-02-2009, 10:41 AM   #64
Blueberrybabies
Climbing Rose

Blueberrybabies has a spectacular aura aboutBlueberrybabies has a spectacular aura aboutBlueberrybabies has a spectacular aura about

Can some of you who have made this say how big a container you used, approx amounts of ingredients and amount of final product? I wanna make some but I'm just trying to plan how much stuff to get.

Also, how much of the benefit do you think comes from actually drinking/swallowing it? As in, it would still work if I put it in G's feeding tube?

And Lisa, your DH is brave! My nose is hurting now just reading that.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:13 PM   #65
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I used about 1 C of each before shredding and it turned into a gallon after adding apple cider vinegar.

I may have used a bit more horseradish

I can't remember. I just estimate honestly

Old 05-02-2009, 12:16 PM   #66
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberrybabies
Also, how much of the benefit do you think comes from actually drinking/swallowing it? As in, it would still work if I put it in G's feeding tube?
I think your throat benefits from the contact/swallowing but I would use it in a feeding tube. . . the only thing I'd be super careful about is doing it after a feeding. It's super hard on my gut. I give it to the kiddos after meals or sometimes there is vomiting or severe tummy pains. so my only concern would be how hard it would be on G's tummy

Today, I actually succumbed and gave them cyclone cider. Which is a supplement almost exactly like master tonic but just a supplement. They take it much more easily and I don't have to fight them

Old 07-30-2009, 04:10 PM   #67
dukeofhazzard
Deactivated

dukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond repute

How effective do you think it would be in salsa?(like in a small amt.) My kids will down chips and salsa like it's going out of style, but try to make them "drink" something spicy, and it's "nooooo" , LOL.
dukeofhazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:13 AM   #68
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

I think it would still be beneficial.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:09 PM   #69
247mom

Okay so I just made this today and thought these portions would be helpful for you if your'e are making in a 1 quart sized mason canning jar. I ended up using 3/4 cup of everything with the exception of the peppers. I used habanaros and used less than an 1/8 of a cup. That filled the jar about 3/4 of the way full. I then needed a 32 oz bottle of Bragg's raw cider vinegar to fill to the top. You'll still have some vinegar left over. The 16oz won't be enough. Hope that helps. My fingers are still burning from chopping the peppers and I wreak of garlic. . Curious to see how it turns out. Oh, and a good time to buy horseradish root is in the late summer to early fall. If your can't find it, ask the grocer and they will order it for you. It comes in big chunks but if you don't want a big chunk they may be willing to cut you a piece that's the size you want so you don't have to waste money on what you won't be using. My grocery store let me do that. It's like $5 or $6 a pound so don't buy more than you need if you don't have to. 1/4 lb was plenty for me with some left over, fyi
Old 10-29-2009, 05:59 PM   #70
amyhntr2
Rose Bouquet

amyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to all

After reading this thread I decided to try to make this too! It's my first "natural" homemade remedy so I almost didn't do it because I was second guessing myself since I am unfamiliar with some of the ingridients. But I decided to put away my perfectionisma and just go for it, and if the it worked it worked and if it didn't it didn't. In the end it really wasn't that hard at all. I took pictures along the way for any other newbies who might not know how much to pick up at the store and how much it would yield. In the end I think it turned out pretty well! Mine is still brewing but the amounts at least seemed to come out right for the most part.

Here's a play by play:

Here are all of the ingriedients and the original amounts I bought at the store before they are all chopped up or grated.

The white onion yielded a lot and in the end I had leftovers of this

This is the ginger all grated up (I peeled it using a spoon per MIL's suggestion and it worked great! Then I grated it by hand - not sure if there was an easier way to do this?)

I took apart all the cloves of garlic. On a cooking show I saw they said to smash the clove and then the shell comes off very easily, so that's what I did. Then I used a pampered chef chopper to get it all chopped up pretty evenly.

For the habeneros I made sure to wear gloves since previous post said her hands were burning! Then I simply cut off the top stems and put about three whole peppers at a time into my chopper and chopped away. In the end this was the only ingriedient I didn't have quite enough of. I wasn't too worried though since all I could find were habernero and those are hotter than cayenne which is called for in the original recipe.

I had never even contemplated that horseradish could come in other forms than "jar" so I looked up what to do about this root that I didn't know existed. One site said to make sure you're in a well-venilated room and wear gloves with this too! Although my room wasn't particularly well-venilated I didn't seem to have any troubles and I did wear the gloves. It said to peel the outer layer off with a vegetable peeler and then grate it. I thought I would save time and try to chop it in the chopper but it just didn't give the right results or consistency. So after that first trial I grated the rest. (At this point it was late and I was tired so I didn't do the entire root. I basically used the part of it that was "straight" and the "bulb" part is leftover. The grocery wouldn't let me just buy a part of it.)

Here is everything next to each other so you can get an idea of the proportions.

Then I just mixed together equal parts and put it into two 16oz. leftover spaghetti sauce jars that I had saved back. I covered with the Bragg's apple cider vinegar and voila!

FYI the ACV was the most expensive for my batch
Here is the breakdown:
Bragg's ACV $6.79
Ginger (.33 lb at $4.99/lb) $1.65
Onion (.67lb at $1.29/lb) $0.86
Habeneros ( .12 lb at 4.99/lb) $0.60
Garlic (pkg of two (I had one bulb at home already)) $0.69
Horseradish Root- lost my receipt but found it at Walmart and I think it was about $4/lb and it came to about a $1 maybe

Hope that helps anyone else who wants to make this in the future! Sometimes I am just paralyzed by the "what-ifs" when I haven't tried something before so maybe some of you are like me and this will answer a few questions before you start out.

Wife to the life of the party Brad
Mommy to I 6/09 and E 10/11 born at home
Enjoying living in SC and seeing where my journey leads next

amyhntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to amyhntr2 For This Useful Post:
dukeofhazzard (10-30-2009), Learnin'2B (11-03-2009), Maggirayne (10-14-2010), mom2boys (10-30-2009), purstrength (10-30-2009), Stiina (04-14-2011), TrinMama (11-18-2009), ziggyplaid (03-14-2011)
Old 10-29-2009, 06:03 PM   #71
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

That is great! Thanks. I need to make some more... haven't made any yet this year.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
Old 10-30-2009, 07:25 AM   #72
dukeofhazzard
Deactivated

dukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the pic by pic tutorial!! Nice!!!
dukeofhazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:38 PM   #73
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

R, could you add "Master Tonic" to the subject line? Like Immune-boosting Master Tonic Recipe? People are talking about MT all over the board, and I think it'd be helpful.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:43 PM   #74
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

good idea..will see if I can get it to work.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

Old 01-19-2010, 06:38 AM   #75
newday
Deactivated

newday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond repute

making more.
this stuff is great. my dh swears by it.
i still can't get my children to take it - it has even become a joking matter for them, "yeah, i'll take it mama, if it isn't MASTER TONIC!!!"
newday is offline   Reply With Quote