Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:34 PM   #1
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Would you paint this?

My living room is small, and bland. I've been looking for ways to make it look nicer and since we need a new TV cabinet I was looking for something that would make a statement and liven things up. I ran a few ideas by dh, just thinking out loud.

DH was talking to a friend at church who is downsizing and offered him their bedroom tv cabinet. They showed up that next Saturday with it in their truck.
It's a beautiful Ethan Allen armoire in absolutely perfect condition, not a scratch, only a few years old. It's the perfect size and scale for our living room.

The only problem is that the finish just looks awful in our living room. My tastes run to the modern, maybe mid-century look. We have black leather, light woods, and white bookcases. This bookcase is a rich, dark brown. It's fairly clean-lined transitional (I think?) style, though so I think it is easily transformed. I would like to do something along these lines - paint the outside white, create a diagonal or chevron design on the doors and paint them either dark, or distressed.

But I'm scared to do it! I've only refinished thrift store finds that I paid under $100 for. This is really nice furniture. Someone else I'm sure would love it just as is! Dh doesn't care. He said to do what makes me happy. He's fine with re-staining, painting, or passing it on to somebody else if I don't want it.

Help! I need advice!
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:39 PM   #2
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation
Default Re: Would you paint this?

Are you confident enough in your ability to end up with a good result? If so I'd go for it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
bananacake (08-04-2016), knitlove (08-04-2016), Llee (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 03:44 PM   #3
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

I think if I take my time and don't rush things, I can do a nice job.

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (08-04-2016), Llee (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 06:59 PM   #4
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

I say paint it! But start simple, try it out the simplest way first and see if you still want to do the pattern. But I've never painted furniture before, so take that with a large grain of salt.

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marbles For This Useful Post:
ViolaMum (08-05-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 07:17 PM   #5
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

So, the fact that it's a really nice, perfectly good piece of furniture doesn't really matter? That's the part that makes me nervous. I'm pretty sure I couldn't afford this armoire new. It's only a few years old. Do you REALLY paint something like that? Or am I hung up on the wrong things?

Old 08-04-2016, 07:55 PM   #6
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaMum View Post
So, the fact that it's a really nice, perfectly good piece of furniture doesn't really matter? That's the part that makes me nervous. I'm pretty sure I couldn't afford this armoire new. It's only a few years old. Do you REALLY paint something like that? Or am I hung up on the wrong things?

I think I need to see it as it is before I give my official opinion.

But my initial reaction is I think as long as no one has an emotional attachment to it (like the originals owners aren't going to be sad AND it's an expensive piece) - I think you can go ahead and paint it if that is what you want.

Even if its pricey - it will still wear and tear over time. So why not get what you want now rather than suffer with what you don't like only to have it show wear and get painted in 10 years anyway. Or not, but it's still yours and you can always have it restored someday if you want to hand it down and your kids want it original.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
ViolaMum (08-05-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 08:30 PM   #7
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

Ok yes it's expensive but you don't love it. What's the point of the niceness of it if you don't like it? Just because something costs a lot of money doesn't mean everyone should like it as is. If you had bought it for cheap at a thrift store, wouldn't you high five yourself for such a good find and paint it? So high five yourself and paint it!

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marbles For This Useful Post:
knitlove (08-05-2016), ViolaMum (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 02:29 AM   #8
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

I agree. Now mind you, *I* wouldn't paint it only because I'm not confident in my ability that the end result would look good. BUT if I have better abilities, I would have no qualms about painting it to make it a better fit for my home.

That said, I do think that we need a picture of it to make a final determination.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
ViolaMum (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 03:42 AM   #9
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

I agree paint it. If you found it cheap at good will or free on the side of the road you would paint it. But yes I want pictures.

The only thing I see as maybe an issue is that being so new is that you will have to spend longer on preparing the service to get the factory finish off so the wood will take the paint.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
ViolaMum (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 06:06 AM   #10
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ugggh. I was afraid you guys were going to ask for pictures . . . . . .

I'll try to figure it out

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
bananacake (08-05-2016), knitlove (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 02:25 PM   #11
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, paint it! I wouldn't want to do all the prep work and I wouldn't want to do the chevron detail, but I'd paint it white! We have similar decorating colors. White, black, grey. Minimal wood.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
ViolaMum (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 03:20 PM   #12
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Text the pics to me and I'll post them!

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (08-05-2016), knitlove (08-05-2016)