Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:31 AM   #16
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Talk to me about chores and allowances

We give $1 per month per year in their age. The 10yo gets $10 every month, etc.

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BarefootBetsy For This Useful Post:
Grover (03-09-2016), kiloyd (02-21-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 09:35 AM   #17
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

If you want to do an allowance system, I highly recommend reading "Raising Financially Confident Children" by Mary Hunt. I may have already recommended it this thread but it's good enough that a 2nd recommendation is warranted.

It's a system that doesn't just "give allowance" but teaches children money management skills. PLUS, if you do it the way she recommends, it doesn't actually add to your expenses. You are simply allocating some of what you already spend on your children *to* them enabling them to learn to manage and budget those funds.

It's the system we follow.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Llee (08-02-2016), MercyInDisguise (02-19-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 09:43 AM   #18
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

parenting better than I garden

mamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond repute

My daughters get $30 each a month, and my son gets $40 a month. When my girls hit 12, they will get an increase (he gets more because he's older). They have to put $5 into a donate jar, $5 into savings, and the rest is for their use. My middle has bought herself some clothes that were more than I was willing to spend, and we've also gone halfsies on a few items. My son mostly spends his on gaming related stuff. My youngest has bought some lego, but is more of a saver overall.

They all have jars where they keep their money, and manage it quite well. One discussion we have often is around maybe having money for something, but not choosing to use our money in that way.

My kids all contribute to household chores, but their allowance isn't tied to the chores. However, we have had to cut allowance back in a couple of tight months when we first moved.
mamaKristin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamaKristin For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (02-21-2016)
Old 02-21-2016, 07:24 PM   #19
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
If you want to do an allowance system, I highly recommend reading "Raising Financially Confident Children" by Mary Hunt. I may have already recommended it this thread but it's good enough that a 2nd recommendation is warranted.

It's a system that doesn't just "give allowance" but teaches children money management skills. PLUS, if you do it the way she recommends, it doesn't actually add to your expenses. You are simply allocating some of what you already spend on your children *to* them enabling them to learn to manage and budget those funds.

It's the system we follow.
Got it from my library Friday. Added it to the pile I have to read.

---------- Post added at 02:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealLifeMama View Post
May I ask how much you pay for things like this? I want to start doing this, but I am unsure how much to pay them. The only paid chores we have now are mowing the lawn and blowing the patio and yard for $2.

I want to give my children an allowance, but I have no idea how much to give them. With 6 children, that gets pricey.
I know you weren't asking me but I wanted to say that right now the only extra money earning thing I have is washing the van. I have paid dd1 $2 for washing it. I told her I'd pay up to $5, if it's a really good job.

I can't think of extra stuff that I'd pay them for...oh, dd1 did straighten up the garage and sweep it out one day on her own, I think I gave her $0.50 or $1.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:09 AM   #20
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Oh, my 2nd recommendation of the book was directed at RealLifeMom's questions about wanting to do allowance but unsure if it was affordable with 6 kids.

BUT I'm glad you borrowed it from my earlier recommendation to you. I think it's a fantastic system.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (02-22-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 09:34 AM   #21
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone have a favorite/printable chore chart with pics?

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (03-02-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 10:26 AM   #22
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

We mostly do chores as a family. My girls are incharge of keeping their space clean (room in decent shape meaning laundry where it belongs floors cleared bed not destroyed. I also expect them to keep their bathroom "tidy".. If they pay attention to maintain all this means they must take 3 minutes of their lives to "pick tidy up"...

In general I tackle to general chores needed to be done during the morning/ early afternoons though I expect the girls to lend a hand as I ask and they are taught to not ignore or add to a mess and anticipate help. (see mom folded towels take 30 seconds and put them in the linen closet for her. Each a plate of cheese and crackers don't leave it on the table take it to the kitchen rise it and put in the dishwasher etc...
After school and before "off time" though we do family chores about 20-60 minutes where we pick up toys,school stuff vacuum, sweep mop etc all and on deck everyone is expected to listen obey and do the best job they can. Since I dont really require chores on the weekends other than obvious rules on not overly creating messes Mondays cleaning is a bit more intense, but if done right we usually knock out the rest of the week in about 15-20 minutes.
Cecilia is also required to do dishes twice a week
As a whole we do not tie allowance to chores. A base allowance is given so she can start to manage her own money and I dislike nickel and dime chore for dollar. At the same time she does understand that a crappy weekly attitude might mean mamas in no hurry to give her the allowance. We have for seasons tied allowance to chores and school attitude because it needed to be. Once the message was received though we back off.
On occasion an extra long or difficult chore might come with a monitory reward for a well done job but those don't come often.

The five year old doesn't get an allowance...
kiloyd (03-02-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 03:45 AM   #23
Grover
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Grover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond repute

Reading along because I need to figure something out. The kids do chores and sometimes get allowance.
One is getting married later this year
Two have flown the nest.
Grandma to four .
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grover For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (03-09-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 07:58 PM   #24
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

2sunshines, are you implementing the system in the book?

It sounds a bit crazy to me, giving children a salary, but I can see how it teaches them money management.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:19 AM   #25
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
Nothing happens until chores are done.
We have been trying this, but it doesn't work for us at all. Perhaps it's my kids' ages, perhaps it's because sometimes their chores are reliant on the other, sometimes it's because I can't wait until 5 PM for them to do something. But we've needed more structure.

I will say I am thankful for the ideas here. We've implemented a chore chart, and it's really helped in keeping the house neater

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
kiloyd (04-28-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 09:52 AM   #26
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake View Post
perhaps it's because sometimes their chores are reliant on the other, sometimes it's because I can't wait until 5 PM for them to do something. But we've needed more structure.
Makes sense, Mmybe because we are overscheduled busy with school and sports, we have a lot of structure already built in, so that's probably why that system works pretty well for us.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
SalH (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 01:08 AM   #27
SalH
Rose Trellis

SalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond repute

We don't link chores with allowance / pocket money. Our children are 2-13 (6 of them). Many reasons we don't, but basically living in our family we are a team. I expect everyone to contribute to the team and we enjoy our results and time working together. I don't want them to choose not to contribute if they decide they don't want the money. And actually mostly their money is just used contributing to birthday gifts for each sibling on their birthday - 4 dollars each and they get to choose something for 20 dollars for the birthday sib, or more if they want. I let them organise that. They get $10 a month. It's really low but we are on super low income as dh is a student in 4th year of 5 at Luther seminary in Adelaide.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SalH For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (04-28-2016), kiloyd (08-05-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 07:04 AM   #28
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

We just finally started using Chore Monster, and my kids are SO motivated! We'll see how long it lasts

kiloyd (08-05-2016)