Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:18 PM   #31
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think our home gives people the wrong idea about us.

I think a lot of it comes down to furniture arrangement. You come into the house through that kitchen door right? I would consider moving the couch under that bigger window. It will make the space look more open and welcoming. I would recommend shortening the curtain rods so that the sheets drape just to the sides. I like the overlap you have on them but I would straighten them so that the side drape is longer and I would cross over the colors. I don't know quite what to suggest with everything else because my brain can't quite see the rooms together.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 05:22 PM   #32
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

So that doesn't look too minimalist to me at all. Messy, yes, but you explained that. Not minimalist.

I have only a few suggestions

1. The picture (photo collage) that is to the right in front of you as you sit on the couch should be centered on that wall.

2. If you need to have stuff on top of the fridge, can you thrift a pretty basket to put it in? Or two baskets?

3. I do think dd's bedframe helps a lot, and if possible you could get one, too (are these people going to see your bedroom, though? I don't know who they are but it's pretty invasive to want to see someone's bedroom. Are they sticking to the main living area?)

4. What is your tv on top of? A freezer? If possible I'd get it off the freezer, even temporarily, while the company is here (assuming that is for keeping it out of baby's reach. If that is the case you can just have it unplugged on something shorter while the are here.

5. If they are going to see your bedroom much, a big picture or poster above the short dresser would be nice.

If you want to post pictures once you get it neatened up to "regular" I can probably get more suggestions.

Overall it looks perfect for a family of 3. I wouldn't worry about it being too minimalist. I wouldn't worry too much other than that you mentioned it being important for it to look nice for company.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
SalH (07-24-2016), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 05:44 PM   #33
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

I'm most definitely an INFJ. ;-)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother of Sons View Post
I think a lot of it comes down to furniture arrangement. You come into the house through that kitchen door right? I would consider moving the couch under that bigger window. It will make the space look more open and welcoming. I would recommend shortening the curtain rods so that the sheets drape just to the sides. I like the overlap you have on them but I would straighten them so that the side drape is longer and I would cross over the colors. I don't know quite what to suggest with everything else because my brain can't quite see the rooms together.
So I like the idea the couch being under that window. I'm not sure where were could move the tv if we do that. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure what you're describing for the curtains.

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
So that doesn't look too minimalist to me at all. Messy, yes, but you explained that. Not minimalist.

I have only a few suggestions

1. The picture (photo collage) that is to the right in front of you as you sit on the couch should be centered on that wall.

2. If you need to have stuff on top of the fridge, can you thrift a pretty basket to put it in? Or two baskets?

3. I do think dd's bedframe helps a lot, and if possible you could get one, too (are these people going to see your bedroom, though? I don't know who they are but it's pretty invasive to want to see someone's bedroom. Are they sticking to the main living area?)

4. What is your tv on top of? A freezer? If possible I'd get it off the freezer, even temporarily, while the company is here (assuming that is for keeping it out of baby's reach. If that is the case you can just have it unplugged on something shorter while the are here.

5. If they are going to see your bedroom much, a big picture or poster above the short dresser would be nice.

If you want to post pictures once you get it neatened up to "regular" I can probably get more suggestions.

Overall it looks perfect for a family of 3. I wouldn't worry about it being too minimalist. I wouldn't worry too much other than that you mentioned it being important for it to look nice for company.
Yeah, I realize it doesn't look minimalist right now. Also I should note our goal isn't too LOOK minimalist but to be moving more in that direction with our possessions and attitudes. We have a lot less stuff now than we did two years ago. also, a lot of the large things your seeing in the picture came up from the last few days (even from the donate pile that's been sitting for months in the basement ) so a lot of what you're seeing in the pictures isn't normally stuff in the home.

I could move the photo collage over a couple inches if it makes a difference.

The top of the fridge is a disaster. It needs a complete overhaul.

We're picking up a bed frame for our bed Wednesday. The people will be inspecting our bedrooms, bathroom, closets, cupboards, even basement and yard.

The thing below the tv is a locker full of DH's guitars, amplifiers and misc musical stuff. You'll be surprised to hear it looks a million times better now than it did when he had all the stuff "out" and corralled into a super yard. Honestly I'm not sure what we could do with it to make it better, besides maybe finding a much nicer cupboard? He's not willing to put the instruments elsewhere. the tv is bolted to the wall with an arm thing, so it's not resting on that, at least. So that's one easier thing.

I'll see what I can do for a picture above that dresser.

Last edited by WaitPatientlyOnTheLord; 07-24-2016 at 07:04 PM.
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:38 PM   #34
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

Can you move all the toys to the bedroom?

Hiding a lot of the plastic storage totes will help. When you tidy, can you put decorative items are on surfaces, and put other things inside drawers or closets? I think displaying some of the musical instruments as decor is nice and reflects who you are.

My eyes are first drawn to the curtains. Is it possible to get roller blinds (or another type of blind) put in the windows, and then have curtain panels hang on the sides?

I think your home looks much more welcoming than you give yourself credit for.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (07-25-2016), MercyInDisguise (07-24-2016), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 07:30 PM   #35
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRock View Post
Can you move all the toys to the bedroom?

Hiding a lot of the plastic storage totes will help. When you tidy, can you put decorative items are on surfaces, and put other things inside drawers or closets? I think displaying some of the musical instruments as decor is nice and reflects who you are.

My eyes are first drawn to the curtains. Is it possible to get roller blinds (or another type of blind) put in the windows, and then have curtain panels hang on the sides?

I think your home looks much more welcoming than you give yourself credit for
All those plastic totes do not stay up here. They're usually in the basement. I don't think we keep a single one in the main part of the home.

Hmm, toys in the bedroom we can look into.

I have BEGGED my DH to let us use his many instruments as decor. I even found hooks and hangers to hang them on the walls so they will be both readily on hand (to play) and decoration that reflects our family. For reasons known only to him, he hates this idea. We have renters insurance purely for the bass guitars (the rest of our stuff is slapped on as an after thought, but it's mostly cheap and really replaceable where the guitars are not.) He has rare, vintage instruments that are a works of art unto themselves. Anyone who knows instruments and sees them swoons. They would be the *perfect* accent to the home. But he doesn't like that for some reason he's not able to articulate.

Oh, we do have blinds. They are just pulled up in the pictures. Except in the bedroom. We don't have blinds there yet.

Oh and thank you for telling me that it looks more welcoming than I was thinking. I've been losing a LOT of sleep over this. Fretting about how it will be received.

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

Oh. Question! I'm having a professional cleaner/organizer come over tomorrow and Thursday. (we're down to crunch time) Tomorrow we'll work together on major cleaning and organizing side by side and Thursday she'll be doing more of the deep cleaning. While I'm cleaning whatever else. Suggestions for things to tackle with her tomorrow? DH and i already moved all the totes back downstairs. The top of the fridge is on my short list. but that won't take four hours.

Last edited by WaitPatientlyOnTheLord; 07-24-2016 at 07:06 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WaitPatientlyOnTheLord For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (07-25-2016), MercyInDisguise (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 07:39 PM   #36
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you were worried your place looked too minimalist.

If you need a better place for toys you can flip the Kura bed upside down and use it as a loft bed. Then the part underneath is cute for toys.

I am trying to imagine why and how and in what capacity these people will be inspecting your apartment. Can you elaborate or does it need to be a secret?

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (07-25-2016), SalH (07-24-2016), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 07:45 PM   #37
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

Quote:
If you need a better place for toys you can flip the Kura bed upside down and use it as a loft bed. Then the part underneath is cute for toys.

Oh good idea about flipping it to the loft side for toy storage. I feel like I should have thought of that already. DD actually slept in the bed last night though not sure I'm ready for her to not be sleeping in my armpit all night, but she's so so excited about that bed. I nursed her to sleep in it, then got in my bed, and then she didn't nurse again till the sun was up. Weird. We'll see what happens as the bed losses it's newness.

Quote:
I am trying to imagine why and how and in what capacity these people will be inspecting your apartment. Can you elaborate or does it need to be a secret?
Yeah, I'm not ready to talk about it yet.

Last edited by WaitPatientlyOnTheLord; 07-24-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:48 PM   #38
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitPatientlyOnTheLord View Post
Oh good idea about flipping it to the loft side for toy storage. I feel like I should have thought of that already. DD actually slept in the bed last night though not sure I'm ready for that but she's so so excited about that bed. I nursed her to sleep in it and then she didn't nurse again till the sun was up. Weird. Well see what happens as the bed lists it's newness.

Yeah, I'm not ready to talk about it yet.
That's cool.

I felt a little weird the first time I nursed my dd1 to bed in her own bed when she was 2 1/4. I wasn't sure I was ready. But I'm over that now. I still feel like that a little bit with each child, though.

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
squiddles (07-26-2016), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 07:59 PM   #39
RiverRock

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

An organizer will help you create zones. Music zone, entertainment/tv zone, sewing zone, toy zone. Your kitchen can be broken down to a variety of zones, too.

I think addressing the curtains is key. Untie them, and then hem them to the right height. If you must use the sheet for darkening the room, fold it and keep it out of the way until you need it to be up. I don't really know the answer to this, but should the curtains be over the base heater? I know they do this at hotels, but is it because the weight of the curtain is heavy?

After your house is clean and organized, consider staging it. I'm not sure who will be inspecting your house, but if it helps to leave a small stack of books out or a plate with "homemade" cookies then consider adding props like this. A fruit bowl can be decor while alluding to your focus on healthy snacks. Do certain items need to be safely stowed away (medicine or shaving supplies for example)? Lastly, keep an ongoing shopping list based on what you think your home needs, or what your organizer thinks you need. I list will help you stay focused when it comes to adding the finishing touches.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (07-25-2016), knitlove (07-25-2016), MercyInDisguise (07-25-2016), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 08:23 PM   #40
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

Quote:
I thought you were worried your place looked too minimalist.
Oh! Doh! Of course you thought that! That was why I originally started this thread isn't it!? I kinda forgot for a moment. The lack of bed frames is one of the "minimalist" things I was anxious about. The lack of kitchen chairs, lack of things like coffee or side tables, etc. Thank you for the reassurance.

Ok ladies, how's this for progress!? We're loving the couch here. The radiator is right behind it so it can't be there in months we run the heat. our couch cover is a dark burgundy. It goes with the other colors when it's on. We brought the low shelf that's below the window up, but now I'm wondering if we need it after all?

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRock View Post
An organizer will help you create zones. Music zone, entertainment/tv zone, sewing zone, toy zone. Your kitchen can be broken down to a variety of zones, too.

I think addressing the curtains is key. Untie them, and then hem them to the right height. If you must use the sheet for darkening the room, fold it and keep it out of the way until you need it to be up. I don't really know the answer to this, but should the curtains be over the base heater? I know they do this at hotels, but is it because the weight of the curtain is heavy?

After your house is clean and organized, consider staging it. I'm not sure who will be inspecting your house, but if it helps to leave a small stack of books out or a plate with "homemade" cookies then consider adding props like this. A fruit bowl can be decor while alluding to your focus on healthy snacks. Do certain items need to be safely stowed away (medicine or shaving supplies for example)? Lastly, keep an ongoing shopping list based on what you think your home needs, or what your organizer thinks you need. I list will help you stay focused when it comes to adding the finishing touches.
Great tips!! AFA the curtains touching the floor heater thingies, we assume they can't. So I've been pinning it tying the curtains up. Hemming would help this.

Last edited by WaitPatientlyOnTheLord; 07-24-2016 at 08:21 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WaitPatientlyOnTheLord For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (07-25-2016), Leslie (07-25-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 08:32 PM   #41
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Oh, I love the couch there!

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2016, 08:33 PM   #42
RiverRock

Great changes so far. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures when it's done.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
The Following User Says Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2016, 09:34 PM   #43
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

The room looks great with the couch there!
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (07-25-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 11:24 PM   #44
SalH
Rose Trellis

SalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond repute

I too was confused when I couldn't find minimalist in the pictures!!

I think that if you got uniform white boxes with lids like the ones IKEA do, to store some of the things that are on bench tops, you can create a smoother more uniform look and then the randomness of items will improve. At the moment ( and I appreciate you are in a sorting stage) it is a bit confusing and busy to look at.

Also: Trofast tubs (get the White ones) are really cheap and very very good for putting bits and bobs in your kitchen or any other cupboards to pull out and grab stuff, while making the cupboards look neat and organised. Those tubs are versatile I can tell you, we are using them in a number of different rooms in the house as well as in a couple of Trofast storage units. The units aren't essential.

Also the cardboard boxes with lids are great as archive boxes for papers, photos etc. I don't mind showing you these ideas in my house if you want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

Agreed also, looking much better so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to SalH For This Useful Post:
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 12:28 AM   #45
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

It looks like a totally different space -- really nice! It's very open and warm
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
ChristmasGirl (07-26-2016), Victorious (07-25-2016), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (07-25-2016)