Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:05 PM   #1
Psyche
Rose Garden

Srsly?

Psyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mthfr

Can anyone tell me about it? I just downloaded my DNA into promethease. I carry one of the mutations. The note says "60% efficiency in processing folic acid could have somewhat elevated homocysteine and low b12/folate"

What am I supposed to do with this information?

I'm not surprised either. But I don't know what to do with the information

working full time, wife to Jason since '02, mom to C 12 years old, J 9 years old , and T 6 years old , mouse catching, Izzy, and rabbit chasing, Ellie.
Psyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:31 PM   #2
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mthfr

If you have symptoms like tiredness, anxiety, mood or sleep issues....you can take methylated folate

What symptoms do you have? My next step would depend on that.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaos Coordinator For This Useful Post:
Psyche (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 04:45 AM   #3
Psyche
Rose Garden

Srsly?

Psyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond repute

Um yeah. Lol. I recently started anti anxiety meds. Depression has been a reoccurring issue and I have a standing script for lunesta (after trying all sorts of herbal supplements)

working full time, wife to Jason since '02, mom to C 12 years old, J 9 years old , and T 6 years old , mouse catching, Izzy, and rabbit chasing, Ellie.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:47 AM   #4
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

oh, yes. methylated folate. start there.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chaos Coordinator For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (07-07-2016), Psyche (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 08:46 AM   #5
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

I just recently found out I have this mutation along with COMT. I have started methylation complete supplement that includes methyl b-12, Folate and 5-Mthf. I'm sleeping better and my anxiety has lessened some. I will start SAM-E next month but I can't remember if that is for MTHFR or COMT mutation. Another thing that I will be addressing soon with my doctor is the leaky gut that these mutations can cause because I have resulting autoimmune diseases.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
graciousmomma (07-07-2016), Psyche (07-07-2016), tempus vernum (07-09-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 01:15 PM   #6
Psyche
Rose Garden

Srsly?

So is there a methyl folate that has other b vitamins in them like b12? And niacin, etc? Should I stop taking my b complex with folic acid?

Old 07-07-2016, 02:43 PM   #7
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

If you have expressed COMT mutations which many people with anxiety do, you might be sensitive to methyl donors. You can run your data through nutra hacker or genetic genie for free to see if that might be an issue or look it up on Promethease which is a fun tool but not the most helpful as far as supplementation is concerned. Besides not being able to use methylfolate in cases where COMT is expressed, it also causes some issues with being able to use certain forms of B vitamins. If I gave C methylfolate, methyl B12, or the regular form of B6 he would be super irritable, anxious and climbing the walls. BTDT. In cases if MTHFR where methyl donors are not tolerated, calcium folinate can be used instead. For C, his genetic practitioner did not feel that his MTHFR was expressed at this time and felt that other mutations were more of a priority to address. He is hetero on the AC1298 allele though, if your report says 60% reduction then you are probably hetero on the C677T allele and that is more significant and probably requires treatment.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (07-19-2016), Psyche (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 03:18 PM   #8
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

Ask your dr about starting Deplin which is especially for people with mtfr. It's helped my dh's meds work better.

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

https://www.deplin.com
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
Psyche (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 03:46 PM   #9
Psyche
Rose Garden

Srsly?

I see a general practitioner who isn't even soggy on the crunchy scale. Will a general practitioner be up on this?

And thank your for the advice so far! I did promethease and I'll look into the other ones.

Old 07-07-2016, 05:28 PM   #10
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, IME they will be sort of up on it. They might consider a hetero mutation to not be a big deal especially if you aren't planning on having any more pregnancies but ymmv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997

The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
Psyche (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 06:50 PM   #11
twentysixcats
Rose Garden

twentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond repute

The best article written in layman's terms that I've read to explain how the MTHFR can affect someone is this: http://www.easytolovebut.com/?p=2782

I'm homozygous for the mutation. My PCP hadn't even heard of MTHFR, though my psych had and was familiar with research about it. I'm on Zoloft for depression and my psych said evidence shows that people with MTHFR do better with methylated folate supplements in addition to SSRIs.

I take Thorne's Methyl-Guard Plus (as recommended by my midwife). It has folate as well as B2, B6, and B12.
DD2 (7/2012)
DD3 (9/2014)
twentysixcats is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twentysixcats For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (07-19-2016), Psyche (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 06:59 PM   #12
Psyche
Rose Garden

Srsly?

Okay. So my report says to avoid methyl b12 for some genetic markers then goes on to tell me in others that I need methyl b 12.

Interestingly it also tells me to avoid cumin and grapefruit (I don't like either) and that I'm sensitive to green tea which I also don't enjoy.

So I'm basically still lost. Try b6 and methyl b12?

Old 07-07-2016, 07:09 PM   #13
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

You need b12 but probably a different form than methyl. http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/n...s-vitamin-b12/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997

The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
Psyche (07-17-2016)
Old 07-17-2016, 08:39 AM   #14
JellyBean
Rose Garden

JellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond repute

Plexus's vitamin xfactor recently changed their ingredients because a lot of the ambassadors have this gene mutation! It does have methylated folate, methylcobalamin b-12 and niacin. I don't want to sound like I came to this board to push plexus though so don't buy it from me!! If you are interested i can tell you how all the gcm'ers are who sell and/or send you the label so you can see what else is in it!!! It's a decent price point and has a money back guarantee if you end up not loving it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JellyBean For This Useful Post:
Psyche (07-17-2016), RealLifeMama (07-17-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 12:06 PM   #15
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

I was wondering because my sister tried to get me on board with plexus and I was turned off by it having folic acid instead of methylated folate. Now I might have to talk to her again.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

The Following User Says Thank You to Chaos Coordinator For This Useful Post:
Psyche (07-25-2016)