Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:57 PM   #1
TenderLovingWillow
Rose Garden

TenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is there anything at all that I can do about my teeth?

My dentist says I am on track to loose all my teeth by the time I am 40. I am 27.

I have one that is being pulled Thursday morning, because I am already at the continuous pain pills and numbing gel point.

I have heard about the Weston A Price diet for regrowing decayed teeth, and with how hectic my life is and the fact it would require me to give up vegetarianism I am not really wanting to try that unless there is something concrete that says it actually can reverse the damage that my teeth already have.

Otherwise, other than brushing/flossing really regularly and cutting out sugars is there much I can do?

I am pretty much clueless about dental health in general, and really upset about all of this.

I was told that I need 3 more root canals on the teeth around the one I am getting pulled.

*Mom to Four Munchkins
*Birth Doula
*Childbirth Educator
*Babywearing Educator
*Vegetarian
TenderLovingWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says they are praying for TenderLovingWillow:
WifeMommy21 (08-16-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 04:02 PM   #2
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there anything at all that I can do about my teeth?

That is hard news to hear!

Do you just have a lot of decay? Have you always had a lot of decay?

There can be bacterial infections that cause a lot of decay to develop in a short period of time. They can be treated with antibiotics.

Oil pulling might work. I have no idea if it actually does or not, but some claim it does. Easier than changing your whole diet.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
MercyInDisguise (07-25-2016), TenderLovingWillow (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 04:13 PM   #3
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

It may well be worth it to add some things like ghee into your diet.Or he butter oil/cod liver oil caps.My dd healed cavities by using coconut oil oil pulling and brushing with it but she didnt have those issues. I have had bad experiences with root canals and ended up having some molars extracted after all that pain and expense and battling infection after so it isnt even a consideration for me anymore

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

Would def try and find a more holisitc dentist and get another opinion

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:41 PM   #4
Lady Grey
Rose Garden

Lady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond repute

I always recommend getting a second opinion when major dental work is recommended.
FlyingBlueKiwi (07-26-2016), OnAMission (07-26-2016), Soliloquy (07-26-2016), sweetpeasmommy (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 07:49 PM   #5
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds really extreme and I'm skeptical. What was the reason given that you are on track to lose all your teeth by 40? Decay can be dealt with so it seem really fear mongering to say something like that when lifestyle changes can turn things around.

How is your diet irt sugar consumption? Do you have any condition or medication that causes decreased saliva? Severe gum disease?

I would get a second opinion.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
esperanza (07-25-2016), Lady Grey (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 02:13 AM   #6
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Wow, that sounds overwhelming. I'm sorry you're dealing with this.

I highly recommend the book "Kiss your dentist good-bye" by Dr. Ellie Phillips. It's NOT anti-dentist at the title makes it sound it just answers your specific question -- how can we take care of our own teeth so that little to no dental intervention is required.

Excellent excellent life altering (or at least teeth care altering) read for me. And fairly easy to implement.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
MercyInDisguise (07-26-2016), Taedareth (08-04-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 09:26 AM   #7
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Seconding or thirding the suggesting to get another opinion. I wish we had done that before we had expensive work done on dh's teeth, and we were very happy we did with ds' teeth.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to esperanza For This Useful Post:
mamacat (07-26-2016), TenderLovingWillow (07-27-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 10:13 AM   #8
bliss
Rose Garden

NEUROSPICY!

bliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond repute

I just had to have root planing and scaling, which is a step you can take before tooth loss. I'd definitely see someone else. In the meantime stay scrupulously,, ridiculously over clean. Use interstitial (sp?) brushes like ALL the time, like a couple times a day, way up under the gum line. Mouthwash at least once a day,, getting it all up under the gums too.
Lady Grey (07-26-2016), mamacat (07-26-2016), MercyInDisguise (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 10:34 AM   #9
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I agree with the others to get the opinion of a dentist who offers better treatment options.

Google things like mercury free dentistry, holistic dentist, laser dentist to narrow the field.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:37 AM   #10
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

yes my dd that had regular cavity healing brushed every. time. she ate something with a soft brush and the coconut oil or something else.doing circles at gumline really helps. Would def do the oil pulling since your is a deeper level of decay issue http://trinaholden.com/healing-cavit...done-it-story/

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
Taedareth (08-04-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 11:38 AM   #11
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Oil pulling, Toothsoap (or homemade oil-based toothpaste), and a new dentist! I'd also ask about MI Paste.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:29 PM   #12
Dovenoir
Rose Garden

Dove - noir

Dovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond repute

Peroxide swishing helps too ime.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Soliloquy (07-26-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 10:41 AM   #13
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

I was poking around online & I came across this article & thought of you.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:40 PM   #14
Taedareth
Rose Garden

The Doctor: If there's one thing I can't stand it's an unpunctual alien attack!

Taedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond repute

Read this website
http://www.thedentalessentials.com/V...decay_s/28.htm

I tried for years to follow the WAP recommended diet, complete with eating liver (yuck!) from pasture-raised cows, and I'm not sure that it helped because I never could get enough of the right minerals and vitamins just from food. The website above has links to actual clinical studies that specify the quantities of each mineral and vitamin the subjects took in order to achieve measurable results. So then I bought bottles of calcium phosphate,magnesium citrate, vitamin d3, vitamin k2, and vitamin c to replicate what was used in the studies. Vitamin k is the nutrient called "activator x" in Dr. Price's work, and it's vastly cheaper to buy in a pill than in a bottle of butter oil. ETA: I've been doing more reading and learned that vitamin K is actually already in cod liver oil, so Weston Price's patients must have been getting something else from the butter oil that was necessary to heal cavities. I'm going to switch from D3 and K2 pills to taking actual CLO and butter oil.

Anyway, I can't promise results, but I wanted to share with you that it's possible to get the WAP goodness without going broke buying pastured raw milk and other animal products. You will still need to avoid sugar, flour, and phytic acid from grains/legumes because they block your body's ability to absorb minerals. God bless <3

Oh, and get a water flosser gadget because they're great at gently cleaning below the gum line.

Soapmaker. Sourdough baker. Seed sower. Duck grower. Hungarian speaker. Torah seeker.

Keep within me / a stillness / deeper and sweeter / than a forest's / in mid of winter. ~Hebridean Altars

Last edited by Taedareth; 08-17-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Taedareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:54 AM   #15
WifeMommy21
Seedling Rose

1 John 4:8 - He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

WifeMommy21 is on a distinguished road

I definitely agree with the coconut oil brushing and peroxide swishing. Can't forget about baking soda as well! Brushing and flossing continuously after each meal should help with any cavities and tooth decay. My Dh had a dentist tell him the same thing when he was a teen and over ten years later he hasn't lost any teeth but he still has to stay on top of it diligently to prevent it. Will be praying for you!
WifeMommy21 is offline   Reply With Quote