Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Animal Companions (Pets) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* A public forum.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:04 PM   #1
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute
Default I think my dog had a stroke; UPDATE 2nd stroke - not recoverable this time

While we were gone my 14.5 year old dog changed.

She hasn't eaten AND she tilts to the right. She falls down randomly. Is just super off.

Going to take her to the vet tomorrow. She is able to go on walks but veers off til leash pull (to the right) and sometimes she collapses (but can get back up).

When she comes in from outside she walks through the kitchen kinda of sideways (to the right) then instead of straight thru the dining room to her blanket, she veers right and follows the wall around the whole room to get to where she wants to go.

She is happy and her tails wags on the walk even though she is goofy looking and doesn't appear upset, but she is definitely not right.

Could it be a stroke? My poor puppy.

eta: final update post 28.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16

Last edited by twoplustwo; 11-13-2018 at 04:46 AM.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say they are praying for twoplustwo:
FlyingBlueKiwi (09-16-2018), Maedchen (09-16-2018), Soliloquy (09-18-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 06:46 PM   #2
FlyingBlueKiwi
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

FlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think my dog had a stroke

Sounds like it. : hug

Go Team Lioness!!!
FlyingBlueKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingBlueKiwi For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (09-17-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 09:49 PM   #3
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

I would say that sounds more like vestibular disease. It is a kind of dog vertigo. If so it should gradually improve over days and weeks. Worth a trip to the vet to rule out worse things, though.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (09-16-2018), twoplustwo (09-17-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 10:43 PM   #4
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
I would say that sounds more like vestibular disease. It is a kind of dog vertigo. If so it should gradually improve over days and weeks. Worth a trip to the vet to rule out worse things, though.

When our dog had several strokes we at first hoped it was this but he got progressively worse. I would take her to the vet to determine whether it’s a stroke or vestibular disease aka old dog disease. Basically they are off balance and experiencing from mildo extreme vertigo The not eating can be because the vertigo is making her nauseous. She should start getting better but I’d still have her veg check her out.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (09-18-2018), twoplustwo (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 07:45 AM   #5
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

She is walking better but still not eating much and no dog food just a treat and some people food beef. We have an appt at 5:15 today. Should I let my 12 year old come with? She will want to and I feel she is plenty old enough. Can't think of why not but sometimes I dont think of everything.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
Old 09-17-2018, 09:16 AM   #6
FlyingBlueKiwi
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

FlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I would give her the option, unless you feel she would be too traumatized. Do you expect you will have to euthanize at the appointment?

Go Team Lioness!!!
FlyingBlueKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingBlueKiwi For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 11:29 AM   #7
twoplustwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingBlueKiwi View Post
I would give her the option, unless you feel she would be too traumatized. Do you expect you will have to euthanize at the appointment?
Oh i hope not....I wouldn't be ready for that.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Old 09-17-2018, 06:24 PM   #8
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

How are things?

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
Maedchen (09-17-2018), tempus vernum (09-17-2018), twoplustwo (09-18-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 07:14 PM   #9
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

I hope the appointment went well.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (09-17-2018), twoplustwo (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 04:01 AM   #10
twoplustwo

She had a stroke. She got a steroid shot. Now she will either get better or she won't.

If she doesn't get better we may have to euthanize her. If she does she could still have another stroke.

She isn't eating her dog food but is eating people food. Vet said with the shot she may eat her dog food again today.

Thanks for asking!
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (09-18-2018), FlyingBlueKiwi (09-18-2018), kiloyd (09-18-2018), Soliloquy (09-18-2018)
The Following 5 Users Say they are praying for twoplustwo:
Aerynne (09-18-2018), FlyingBlueKiwi (09-18-2018), kiloyd (09-18-2018), Llee (09-18-2018), tempus vernum (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 06:58 AM   #11
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry mama I’m praying she recovers, eats, and no more strokes.

Our vet is naturally oriented and suggested lots of lavender for pup and for us. We gave him lavender massages.

Spoiled in case you aren’t wanting to hear this

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (09-18-2018), twoplustwo (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 02:05 PM   #12
twoplustwo

No change. Walking neither better nor worse.

Eating people food but no dog food.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
The Following User Says they are praying for twoplustwo:
tempus vernum (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 04:17 PM   #13
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

If your dog is 'ok' and not suffering in pain, I would suggest that you take this time you have and just give him what he wants to eat. This will allow him to feel your love and time for the family to process his decline.

(Last year our Siamese cat was dying of liver failure. I knew it was really bad and so did our vet. My husband could not accept that for a couple of months. We tried everything, the RX'd food, medications, lots of love. I even bought baby food and fed her from a spoon. I made chicken livers and pureed them to entice her appetite. This gave us 6more months with her before she passed away.)

The Following User Says Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 04:20 PM   #14
twoplustwo

YEs we are just feeding her people food. And taking her on walks. Even though she is very slow and sideways, she is happy (tail up and wagging).
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
Maedchen (09-18-2018), Soliloquy (09-18-2018), tempus vernum (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 04:28 PM   #15
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Our oldest Maine Coon cat has been diagnosed as having heart worms. (who knew cats could get them?) There is no treatment for cats. We are trying to cope and baby him as much as possible. He was a stray that showed up at our front door when he was a few months old and he is 11 now.

Fur babies are special and add so much to our lives and teach children many lessons (as well as adults.) I type this as our 18 month old dog is fussin and talking back when told to go lay on the bed. LOL

From your post, I could just see your dog walking down the road.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (09-18-2018)
The Following User Says they are praying for Maedchen:
Soliloquy (09-18-2018)