Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
FaithHopeLove
Rose Garden

Follow That Truck!

FaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help Quick! I need a TRULY good cupcake recipe!

Hi! I need to bake some cupcakes for dc's school tomorrow and need a really good recipe. Every one I've tried from the Internet or my cookbooks at home turns out kind of dry and not like the super moist ones from the grocery store mixes. All of the kids are mainstream SAD kids, so I need to make a natural cupcake that mirrors the taste and texture to some degree of the ones they are used to. I'd like to make chocolate, but other flavors would be good too.

I've tried Dr. Oetker's, and they have a mocha-ish flavor that the kids don't always like.

I keep wondering how the cupcake bakeries make such wonderful, moist, natural ingredient cupcakes, yet every recipe I've tried is not so good. I'm a good baker and cook too, so I don't think it's technique that's the problem.

TIA!
FaithHopeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help Quick! I need a TRULY good cupcake recipe!

We don't like Dr. Oetker's, either.

You don't use dough conditioners or chemical additives. That's your problem, right there.

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rabbit For This Useful Post:
FaithHopeLove (01-10-2015)
Old 02-10-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
FaithHopeLove
Rose Garden

Follow That Truck!

FaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
We don't like Dr. Oetker's, either.

You don't use dough conditioners or chemical additives. That's your problem, right there.

LOL, Natalie! Glad to know we aren't the only ones not too keen on Dr. Oetker's.

(And boy, oh boy, you were quick, just no recipe! )
Old 02-10-2011, 06:26 PM   #4
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

No, I'm just here to glean answers.

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

Simon has been begging for chocolate cupcakes for awhile, and I never even bothered making my birthday cake, because I don't have a recipe I like.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
mokamoto
Climbing Rose

Mama to two little sweetpeas and loving wife to my Darling tech buff

mokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to all

Hi there! Not sure if this helps, but applesauce in place of oil makes a huge difference in my cakes. If you are using butter, it can dry the cake a bit, but I have had a yummy all-natural pound cake, so I'm not sure where the moisture came from there. Also, cake flour produces a softer, moister crumb than all-purpose flour. Sorry, no recipes at hand at the moment though. Hth

Last edited by mokamoto; 02-10-2011 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Typos
mokamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mokamoto For This Useful Post:
FaithHopeLove (02-10-2011), Rabbit (02-10-2011)
Old 02-10-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

Hummingbird cupcakes always come out moist, because of the pineapple and banana. But I don't know if you could put the pecans in, because of the nut issues in school.

http://cupcakeblog.com/?p=5
Warning. Do NOT browse the rest of that site, or you will become hopelessly addicted to ridiculously complex cupcakes. That are very, very yummy.
Kiara.I is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
FaithHopeLove (02-10-2011)
Old 02-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
TuneMyHeart
Rose Garden

Here's my heart, Lord, take and seal it. Seal it for Thy courts above.

TuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond repute

Dr. Oetker's are not good!

This is the best chocolate cake recipe I've tried. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Dark-Ch...-I/Detail.aspx My super picky E loved it.

LMK if you want my buttercream frosting recipe, it's yummy.

I can make a pretty yummy cake, but I'm incapable of making it pretty.
TuneMyHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TuneMyHeart For This Useful Post:
FaithHopeLove (02-10-2011), mokamoto (02-11-2011)
The Following User Says they are praying for TuneMyHeart:
ShangriLewis (02-16-2011)
Old 02-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
FaithHopeLove
Rose Garden

Follow That Truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara.I View Post
Hummingbird cupcakes always come out moist, because of the pineapple and banana. But I don't know if you could put the pecans in, because of the nut issues in school.

http://cupcakeblog.com/?p=5
Warning. Do NOT browse the rest of that site, or you will become hopelessly addicted to ridiculously complex cupcakes. That are very, very yummy.
My kiddo would love those, but I fear they are too exotic for this particular crowd. I'm going to check out the rest of that blog though (send a search crew if I don't come back!) and see if I can find a great chocolate.

I'm loving these suggestions, but if someone has a recipe they've baked that has been super yummy and super reliable, I'd be so grateful! (Oh, and cake recipes are cool, of course, just pour it in the cupcake wrappers.)

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuneMyHeart View Post
Dr. Oetker's are not good!

This is the best chocolate cake recipe I've tried. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Dark-Ch...-I/Detail.aspx My super picky E loved it.

LMK if you want my buttercream frosting recipe, it's yummy.

I can make a pretty yummy cake, but I'm incapable of making it pretty.
I'm feeling quite validated about the Dr. Oetker's!

Thanks for the recipe, and yes please on the buttercream frosting!

How many of us are going to end up baking tonight after all this talk of cupcakes?
Old 02-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #9
TuneMyHeart
Rose Garden

TuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond repute

my standard buttercream:
2 cups butter, softened
5 cups powdered sugar
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 tsp vanilla
4 Tbsp cream

1. Cream butter & sugar until well-blended.
2. Add salt, vanilla & cream. Blend on low speed until moistened.
3. Beat at high speed for a full 10 minutes until frosting is fluffy and stiff.
The Following User Says Thank You to TuneMyHeart For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #10
FaithHopeLove
Rose Garden

Follow That Truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokamoto View Post
Hi there! Not sure if this helps, but applesauce in place of oil makes a huge difference in my cakes. If you are using butter, it can dry the cake a bit, but I have had a yummy all-natural pound cake, so I'm not sure where the moisture came from there. Also, cake flour produces a softer, moister crumb than all-purpose flour. Sorry, no recipes at hand at the moment though. Hth
Thank you!

I'm definitely going to try the applesauce -- but a batch I don't have to serve other people first just in case I mess it up, LOL!

When you mix in the applesauce instead of oil, what particular technique do you use? Do you mix the applesauce with the eggs? Do you actually beat it in, or do you fold it in at another point?

BTW, I have a Hershey's anniversary cookbook that is supposed to be just wonderful with classic, basically all natural (still lots of sugar and white flour and such) ingredients, but I've not had good luck with that one either.

I keep seeing bakers on Cupcake Wars making luscious, yummy cupcakes . . . wonder how they do it?

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuneMyHeart View Post
my standard buttercream:
2 cups butter, softened
5 cups powdered sugar
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 tsp vanilla
4 Tbsp cream

1. Cream butter & sugar until well-blended.
2. Add salt, vanilla & cream. Blend on low speed until moistened.
3. Beat at high speed for a full 10 minutes until frosting is fluffy and stiff.
Thanks, Shannon! How much does this frost? Two cups of butter sounds like it makes a really big batch!

Have you ever turned this into a chocolate recipe? How much cocoa do you think you'd add?

My mouth is watering . . . LOL!

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
No, I'm just here to glean answers.

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

Simon has been begging for chocolate cupcakes for awhile, and I never even bothered making my birthday cake, because I don't have a recipe I like.
Oh man! Well, you are going to have to bake along with me then! GCM test kitchens . . . Dr. Oetker is not allowed.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #11
TuneMyHeart
Rose Garden

I usually cut the recipe in half, unless I'm doing like a 3 layer cake or something. I've never made it chocolate, but I have grated a Dagoba chocolate candy bar on top. That was really good. We can't do sprinkles and food color, so the chocolate on top is as fancy as I get.

I use applesauce in muffins and quick breads all the time, but I prefer butter in my cakes, just fyi.
The Following User Says Thank You to TuneMyHeart For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2011, 07:26 PM   #12
Emerald Orchid
Rose Garden

Emerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond repute

Super moist, super reliable, super easy chocolate cake, which you can turn into cupcakes, just reduce the baking time:

SUPER MOIST CHOCOLATE CAKE

1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
3 tablespoons of sifted good quality cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup white or brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons canola oil (can substitute with parts applesauce)
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup cold water

Mix dry ingredients. Mix wet ingredients. Combine all ingredients together until there aren't any more lumps and pour into a 9 inch by 9 inch
greased and floured baking pan.
Bake at 350F 35 min.

French-Canadian / Reader / TrailRunner / T4 / INTj / Wife to S
SAHM to 3 DS
Z (8.5) M (6.5) and T (3.5)
Adopting from China
Emerald Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emerald Orchid For This Useful Post:
FaithHopeLove (02-10-2011), Quiteria (02-11-2011), Rabbit (02-10-2011)
Old 02-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #13
everydaygrace
Climbing Rose

everydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond repute

I've been reading this subject line today and its making me crave yummy cupcakes. Unfortunately cant have any bc i cant eat fat. Awsome cupcakes and fat free don't exactly go tougher.

I hope you find the recipe you need!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #14
expatmom
Rose Garden

expatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond repute

Dd1 & I made cupcakes from a fancy schmancy cupcake recipe book last week & they were awful!
Old 02-10-2011, 11:21 PM   #15
BearyBlessed
Rose Garden

BearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond repute

I can give you my mom's chocolate silk frosting recipe if you like, but I'm . I will try to remember to post it before I go to bed, but you can call in the morning if that's easier.

Wife to my best friend since December 2000
Mama to my boys
Aji ~ My long awaited blessing ~ May 2007
Living with T1D since May 2012

YoYo ~ My HBAC miracle ~ November 2009

BearyBlessed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BearyBlessed For This Useful Post:
FaithHopeLove (02-11-2011)