Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 06-26-2022, 12:48 PM   #1
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bunk Beds

I am wanting to purchase white bunk beds for my girls' bedroom. I want twin over twin. I don't want them clunky.
I have visited a couple of furniture stores, and the beds they have are really short. We have 9 foot ceilings, so they don't have to be short. I want the girl on the bottom to be able to sit up and not hit her head, which seems to be the problem with the ones they have sat on.
My boys have This End Up beds that are really old and my son who is 5'2" can sit up on the bottom bunk. But they are not the style we want. I also want the rail to be fairly high so I am not worried my DD will roll off. DH wants solid wood, but I don't really care.

I am fine purchasing online, but I am not sure how to get a measurement of how high the clearance is from the bottom to top bunk when shopping online.
Anyone have a good recommendation?

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...f7be6b596b5fa4
These look OK to me, but I am not sure what 76% rubberwood/25%MDF means, or if the rail is high enough, or if the clearance is OK.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

Last edited by RealLifeMama; 06-26-2022 at 12:57 PM.
RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 01:24 PM   #2
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bunk Beds

We just bought these. I was looking for good clearance, too. I just looked at the bunks and bought a higher distance between top and bottom. Wayfair tells you that measurement on each one. It is a nice distance.

https://www.wayfair.com/baby-kids/pd...?piid=31883246

If you want something cheaper, this one even has more space between the bunks

https://www.wayfair.com/baby-kids/pd...iid=1493706073

We were getting gray, though, and dd didn’t like the color of this one so we got the first one. We got it on sale, though. We got the loft bed of the lower one for dd1, though, and I like it a lot!

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 01:30 PM   #3
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

That looks nice. I was hoping for a built in ladder so the ladder doesn't stick out. Their room is so tiny.
The second one has what looks like a non-existant rail on top. Is it high enough?

On second thought, I read a review of the second one that said that their 12 year old almost tipped it when on the ladder, so maybe having the ladder stick out would be a good thing.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

Last edited by RealLifeMama; 06-26-2022 at 01:47 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (06-26-2022)
Old 06-26-2022, 01:59 PM   #4
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealLifeMama View Post
That looks nice. I was hoping for a built in ladder so the ladder doesn't stick out. Their room is so tiny.
The second one has what looks like a non-existant rail on top. Is it high enough?

On second thought, I read a review of the second one that said that their 12 year old almost tipped it when on the ladder, so maybe having the ladder stick out would be a good thing.
I’m not the biggest fan of ladders that stick out but we don’t even use the ladder for the bunks because of how we have beds set up (I have a thread about it. I think it is in joyous homemaking pictures). We actually made a climbing wall next to the bunk so dd doesn’t need a ladder. She absolutely loves her climbing wall and it takes up no floor space (it is on the wall behind where her closet door opens so it really wouldn’t be useful space for much else).

The rail is high enough on the loft bed version but my dd1 has a thin mattress. The page shows recommended mattress height for each bunk bed. And it will also tell you distance between bottom of top bunk and top of railing.

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

Old 07-04-2022, 07:45 PM   #5
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

We ended up buying ours on Amazon. My only advice is to read a variety of reviews, especially the 1 star reviews, and make note of the date the review was written. My dh added extra slats to the top bunk to make it extra secure.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (07-04-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 12:42 PM   #6
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

I think I might try these
https://www.wayfair.com/baby-kids/pd...piid=107777183

Only, there are not a lot of reviews lately.
This bed has everything we want, though, on paper. I like that the drawers have gliders and don't just roll on wheels on the ground.
Is there a danger of beds tipping?

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

Old 07-06-2022, 08:59 PM   #7
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Those look really nice! I have never heard of bunk beds tipping, but if you are worried you could anchor them to the wall (tie a strap around them and screw it into a stud).

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

Old 07-09-2022, 05:44 AM   #8
mipennsn
Rose Garden

mipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

This bed has everything we want, though, on paper. I like that the drawers have gliders and don't just roll on wheels on the ground.

I managed to tip my daughters twin over full futon bunk by standing on the edge of the open futon rail and pulling her out of the top bunk. We have had several bunk beds and that is the only one to ever tip. I think it was the direction of force and the combined placement of weight that caused it to tip. Thankfully there was a chair nearby that my butt landed in until one of the older kids came and sat it back up.
My GIRL H who is 7!

Full time mommy and breadwinner for my family

mipennsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 09:17 AM   #9
sprout
Rose Garden

sprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond repute

I plan to repurchase bunks as well.

my favorites for my older children are full over full.

I don't know the name of the brand we had, but I really like the look of the pottery barn. I have toyed with the idea of buying plans and building them.

I want ones the kids can swing on and never worry about tipping.
sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 10:41 AM   #10
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

Quote:

I wound up getting these.
So far, so good. We have not put the drawers on yet.
I realized that this was the first time we had ever purchased RTA furniture that was new. Most of the furniture we have bought during our entire 24 year marriage has been previously used. We were not expecting the off-gassing that needed to occur. It was a good two weeks before the girls could stay in their room. So, be warned.
Other than that, they really like them, and they look really nice. It has opened up their room so much. Now I have to get new dressers for them.
We are not close to IKEA, or I'd get them Hemnes dresser and nightstand.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

The Following User Says Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
Llee (08-07-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 07:24 PM   #11
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Not that it helps you but I love our hemnes dressers!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
RealLifeMama (08-06-2022)