Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Animal Companions (Pets) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* A public forum.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:03 AM   #16
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adopting a puppy with a toddler and almost 8 year old

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaVA View Post
...Oh an also most of the time when rescues say lab/boxer mix it's what most people would call a pit bull.
But don't let that rule them out entirely - my pit mix is my gentlest dog. She thought she was the mother when we brought home chicks. She is the one that the kittens played on long before we introduced them to the lab.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (08-25-2017), KSL (08-25-2017), Soliloquy (08-30-2017), Virginia (09-03-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 05:41 AM   #17
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

Watching your thread with interest!
It sounds like you have an awesome set up,know what you're doing and since you've had golden retrievers before,you know that "high energy" is like calling the ocean "a bit deep". We got our golden when she was a year old and now,at 2.5,we are all finally beginning to enjoy her. She totally did knock over my then two year old when we first got her! And she nipped him a few times when he bothered her while she had a new bone. Now,my youngest can be all over her and she tolerates him patiently.
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beth1231 For This Useful Post:
KSL (08-25-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 11:05 AM   #18
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

An Enneagram 7 type 1/2 ENTP

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with rescues not calling pit mixes pits because of the stereotype, but wouldn't be deterred by that! I know two pits and they really are SUPER sweet dogs.
Missing three I will meet in Heaven (Feb 2012), (Apr 2016) & (Jun 2020)

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde
MrsHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsHutch For This Useful Post:
KSL (08-25-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 07:13 PM   #19
KSL
Rose Bouquet

KSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant future

So..this is our new puppy! We pick him up tomorrow. 8 weeks old, male. I'm calling him a "boxador" or "labroxer" but his dad was 100% black lab, and mom is a boxer/hound mix. My sister found him for us and he's with a family now that has young kids and they said he's terrific with them. Name is still being debated I read Lucky Dog by Brandan McMilliak and it was super helpful..hoping I can use his techniques for training. Family he's with now said he often sleeps from 11 PM to 7 AM without an accident/asking to be let out so we'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Married to the Haitian Sensation since 2007
Mom to S, DS since October 2009

and

E, DD born February 22nd, 2016

Last edited by KSL; 09-01-2017 at 07:18 PM.
KSL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to KSL For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (09-02-2017), Beth1231 (09-02-2017), CelticJourney (09-02-2017), Llee (09-01-2017), MegMarch (09-01-2017), Sweet Life (09-02-2017), Virginia (09-03-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 07:30 PM   #20
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Cutie!!

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsHutch For This Useful Post:
KSL (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 06:26 PM   #21
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

What a beautiful pup!
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beth1231 For This Useful Post:
KSL (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 06:29 PM   #22
KSL
Rose Bouquet

KSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant future

Ladies we picked him up today-- my son named him Bowser and he is a darling puppy. Very affectionate and playful, DS held him in his lap all the way home in the car and was like mom, please don't talk loud because I want Bowser to get a good nap. Bahahaha. He also said his legs hurt from the position he was sitting in but he didn't want to move because he didn't want to wake Bowser up. He's like a little parent, it's very sweet.

My BIL held him/played with him in a bunch of different positions and said he thinks he's a submissive sweet little guy and he was awesome with all 7 of my nieces and nephews who held him and played with him all night. So thus far he seems like a really great little guy.

DD (18 months) is terrified of him but I think with time that will get better and I am going to be careful to keep her separated from him (well with him loose and her loose)until he's bigger. Right now he just can't control himself (the playing, jumping, etc). So I'm thinking during the week we'll make sure he's out with DH and I as much as possible during the day (when DD is at nanny's in AM and when she naps in afternoon) and then gets a good chunk of time with DS being active when he get a home around 5:30 each night. And in the in between times he can be in his crate when I need to have DD with free reign of the house.

Have I mentioned he's adorable and smells delicious?

and

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KSL For This Useful Post:
Llee (09-03-2017), MegMarch (09-15-2017), Sweet Life (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 06:51 PM   #23
Sweet Life
Rose Garden

Sweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond repute

He DOES look adorable and on such a great temperament.
KSL (09-02-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 09:18 AM   #24
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSL View Post
... So I'm thinking during the week we'll make sure he's out with DH and I as much as possible during the day (when DD is at nanny's in AM and when she naps in afternoon) and then gets a good chunk of time with DS being active when he get a home around 5:30 each night. And in the in between times he can be in his crate when I need to have DD with free reign of the house.
The Monks of New Skeet are famous german shepard trainers. They tie their pups to the handler and have them with them all day long. You can't do that exclusively, but keeping him with you as much as possible is a great way for you to learn his signals and for him to learn from you.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
The Following User Says Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
KSL (09-04-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 06:34 PM   #25
KSL
Rose Bouquet

Puppy is doing really well, all things considered. We have a long way to go on potty training but I know he's still young (not quite 10 weeks) and I am going to start being super consistent using the crate method to get him house broken.

The only major issue now is his nipping/chewing/mouthing. I've gotten him so many chew toys and he likes many of them but not as much as he likes chasing and biting kids feet (or adult ones!) and he always wants to play "rough" and chew out hands. I know this is totally normal puppy behavior but I also don't want him to think it's ok to do those things. Most books say to ignore and turn away but that doesn't work with him. I started to use Bitter Apple spray tonight (sprayed my hands and legs, same for kids) and I think it's working although he did still want to mouth my hands some. I don't think he likes taste but doesn't hate it quite enough to deter him. Any other suggestions?

Also, DD now loves him and calls him by name (and tells him nonono when he does something she doesn't like) and brings him all his toys when he's in his bed and wants to pet him.

and

Last edited by KSL; 09-13-2017 at 06:37 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KSL For This Useful Post:
Llee (09-14-2017), MegMarch (09-15-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 07:37 PM   #26
CelticJourney
Administrator

When he bites/nips takes his muzzle in your hands and gently squeeze (gently!) - it's what the mama dog would do.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (09-21-2017), KSL (09-13-2017), Reva (09-21-2017), Virginia (09-13-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 06:47 AM   #27
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

I had to teach my kids that when Rey tries to nip at them they need to stop, stand still, and hide their hands (usually by curling their arms up in front of their chest or under their arms) until she got bored and left them alone. Before that, the kids would run from her, which was super fun for her and only made it worse.

We also do a lot of giving her a toy or bone that she can chew on when she's trying to mouth our hands.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsHutch For This Useful Post:
KSL (09-15-2017), Reva (09-21-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 03:46 PM   #28
KSL
Rose Bouquet

I think I have to work on DS to do this (almost 8). He could do it but I'll just keep having to physically remove DD from the situation. When I gently squeeze his mouth shut when he nips he just gets revved up, sadly. Thanks for all the advice

and

Old 09-16-2017, 07:34 AM   #29
CelticJourney
Administrator

One thing the dog trainer (world class, trained dh and his K9) told me when we had trouble with a puppy and one of the kids who as about that same age at the time - for the puppy playing with a kid is like getting hyped up on sugar and going to Disney at the same time. The sugar high is just their puppy nature and the kid is Disney land. Keep in mind that they can't control much of their behavior and make sure when they are together playing, that you are there to make sure it doesn't go too far.

The Following User Says Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
KSL (09-16-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 08:27 PM   #30
KSL
Rose Bouquet

Thank you for this, Elizabeth! There was a part of me that was like oh no, do we have an aggressive dog?! It's reassuring to hear again that his jumping/nipping around the kids is normal puppy play-- and a good reminder that I just need to be present to monitor. I also have a system now where puppy can have a time out when he gets too rough (was able to put an old baby gate up in the kitchen so he can be in there and we can be in living/dining room). He does not like being separated from us so I think it's a good tool to let him know when he's gone too far and to give kids space when they need it (and kitchen leads into back porch where his open crate, food and water, and bin of toys are so he is not like suffering massively or anything).

I'm trying to give him lots of attention and love when I'm home with him during the day too, and he's much calmer with me so I get to reward his good behavior.

and

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KSL For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (09-17-2017), Reva (09-21-2017)