Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Regional Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 08-05-2006, 05:35 PM   #31
Garnet
Deactivated

Garnet is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Syrian recipes

now that you mention it I had Morroccan pancakes hsaped liek turbans (dipped in honey oh my so good) nearby so it was probably morracan.
Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 12:26 PM   #32
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Did you ever post the baba ghanoosh (sp?) anywhere?
I have tons of eggplant now!

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 12:47 PM   #33
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

Beauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond repute

I'll try to post it in the next couple of days. time is limited today.

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Isaiah 61:3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that they might be glorified.
Beauty4Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:49 PM   #34
musicmama
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

musicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond repute

Is Mujadra/majadera syrian? When I have it at my fav middle eastern restaurant in Dearborn, MI, it's dark brown, almost black, and when I try recipes at home it's light brown and not so appetizing looking Do you have a recipe?

I'm *so* craving falafel right now...
mama to my long-awaited miracle Sophia 11/06
and her sweet beanie sister Chelsea 8/10

Creative Genius behind Sophiecat Creations

She is clothed with
strength and dignity
and laughs without fear
of the future.
Proverbs 31:25

musicmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:49 PM   #35
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

Beauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond repute

Mujadera...that's the one with lentil and cracked wheat and onion, no?

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Isaiah 61:3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that they might be glorified.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:46 PM   #36
musicmama
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

musicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond repute

yes ma'am!!

Do you have a curried lentil soup recipe, too?
mama to my long-awaited miracle Sophia 11/06
and her sweet beanie sister Chelsea 8/10

Creative Genius behind Sophiecat Creations

She is clothed with
strength and dignity
and laughs without fear
of the future.
Proverbs 31:25

musicmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 03:40 PM   #37
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

I'm afraid not. When I try to make lentil soup like mil does, it doesn't come out right.

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Old 07-28-2010, 05:45 AM   #38
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty4Ashes View Post
Kebab and Falafel

Kebab is actually pretty easy. All that it is is ground meat with a bunch of spices molded into a stick about the size of your thumb in width and maybe 5-6" in length. We ate kebab last night.

We bought Australian lamb chops (they tend to be more tender and less fatty than American lamb. It's also known as spring lamb) and some london broil meat and ground the two together. You need to add tons of all spice, maybe a teaspoon or two and maybe 1 teaspoon of salt and some black pepper to the meat after it's ground. I think that dh also ground up one medium onion with the meat, and about 1/2 a cup of fresh parsley. You'll need some kind of a skewer to mold the meat around. We have one of those grills that you set up on top of your stove top. He brushed it with some olive oil so the meat wouldn't stick. With kebab, you want to cook it quickly, I think it only took 10 minutes total.

For falafel, we make enough for 6-7 meals and freeze it. I'm going off the top of my head here. You will need to soak 2 cups of dry chickpeas and 2 cups of dry fava beans over night. Throw the beans in the grinder a handful at a time. Add to the grinder corriander seeds, maybe 1/2 cup, 1 cup of fresh parsley chopped, 4 cloves of garlic, 1 medium onion, a handful of red pepper, and I think that's about it. You will need to grind the whole thing together at least twice, maybe even 3x. After grinding it, add salt and pepper and mix the whole thing with your hands. I'm not sure if you'll need to add an egg or not. When you go to make the falafel, roll it into balls and fry it in a deep fat fryer. Chop some lettuce and tomatoes and slices of pickles. The sauce is made with 1-2 cups of plain yogurt and 2-3 tbsp. of tahini (sesame seed paste). Eat it in a pita bread.

I wondered if there is any alternative for the fava beans? Due to their nature I am worried about using them since I have thyroid issues and my dad (who I share a lot of food tendencies with) is allergic to them... I don't want to tempt fate.

I had not heard of grinding them together. That probably explains why all attempts at making this have been a total failure before.
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:57 AM   #39
Naxi
Rose Bouquet

Naxi is a jewel in the roughNaxi is a jewel in the roughNaxi is a jewel in the rough

Can we pin this post? I would hate for it to expire!

Wife to my darling, since 2003;
and
Homeschooling Mumma to Possum (2006), Bandicoot (2008) and Sugar-Glider (Little Princess 2010)

"You're blessed when you're at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and His rule." Matthew 5:2 TMV
Naxi is offline   Reply With Quote