Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 09-07-2015, 11:54 AM   #31
mommychem
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Butterfly on my face :)

mommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Practical ideas for two destructive little boys?

I can hardly keep up with my almost two year old DS. He is non-stop. But he has big energy. So he likes to push the vacuum, the broom, the shovel. He helps load the washer and dryer (not without trying to climb in the dryer of course ). He climbs our indoor picnic bench flipping the lights on and off. He stands in the stool in the bathroom and rinses his hands under the water. He dumps out unattended bottles of water.

They play outside but only for a while because it's just.so.hot and humid. Oh and the mosquitoes!!

Sorry, I don't mean to derail.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mommychem For This Useful Post:
bananacake (09-07-2015), Beth1231 (09-07-2015), mamacat (09-07-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 06:32 PM   #32
Pilgrim
Rose Bouquet

Pilgrim is a glorious beacon of lightPilgrim is a glorious beacon of lightPilgrim is a glorious beacon of lightPilgrim is a glorious beacon of lightPilgrim is a glorious beacon of lightPilgrim is a glorious beacon of lightPilgrim is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacat View Post
Jut thought of you when saw mop in laundry room Idea of you cant ride the broom around but you CAN ride/wave this - give pool noodles or some other softer thing
I was just coming here to suggest pool noodles as substitutes! As long as your toddler won't take bites out of it.
bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pilgrim For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (09-08-2015), mamacat (09-07-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 03:33 PM   #33
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

I hosed off our 4ft plastic slide and hauled it into the house. I'm tired of C vaulting off the furniture. When we move,I'll reevaluate.
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Beth1231 For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (09-09-2015), marigold (09-09-2015), MegMarch (09-08-2015), Quiteria (09-08-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 01:16 PM   #34
Amythestmama
Rose Garden

Amythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond repute

Big cardboard boxes. Markers can write in boxes, boys can tear or smash boxes. If you're ok with learning to use knives, boxes are fun to cut. (I know knives aren't for everyone though.)
Beth1231 (09-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 04:37 PM   #35
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

Everything that you care about needs to go under lockdown. After that, you just learn to care about "things" a lot less. KonMari the house when you move? My kids are destructo machines. Your experience re: gender has been exactly mine after working in childcare and having three boys. My middle son is more gentle than my oldest, by nature, but turning 4 has made him into a challenge-driven madman

I'm serious though. I sold all our DVDs and video games (who has time to enjoy them anyway with three hurricanes swirling around the house?) use spaghetti sauce jars instead of vases, wooden toys that don't shatter like plastic (and yes that means fewer toys) yes both our vehicles have the marks of parenthood on them. This summer I lived in $3 tank tops because most of them were ruined after 2-3 wears due to kid abuse.

We did buy new furniture and appliances earlier this year but trust me when I tell you, we police the kids around it and are very strict in how some rules are enforced.

Other than that, it's all "go act like that outside" and "I'm gonna drink some more coffee"

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

Also be the calm in the storm. Give them a rhythm. Recite poetry at lunchtime. Sing verses at transition. Tell enchanting stories. Be predictable and rhythmic, like a heartbeat. It helps hold them down in a way im having trouble describing amidst the clamor in my house right now.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chaos Coordinator For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (09-09-2015), mommychem (09-10-2015), Quiteria (09-10-2015), WanderingJuniper (09-10-2015), zeo2ski (09-21-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 11:15 PM   #36
MrsDuck
Rose Bouquet

MrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud of

A couple of people have mentioned the chin up bars, but there is also an indoor swing set that sets up with a pull up bar that. It all comes together as a set. It's not cheap, but less than the cost of replacing valuables, and for us swinging especially seems to help so very much. It also has a ladder, and handles and a rope to climb. We are in a small house, too, and the two boys drive this poor mama batty with how much physical energy they have. We got this last December and if helps so much in the wet months.

https://gorilla-gym.com/product/kids...FUdffgodEvkH5g

Blessed to be a Stay at Home-schooling Mama to:
DS1 - Snugglebug - Nov. '08
DS2 - Wiggles - May '12
MrsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsDuck For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (09-10-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 07:41 AM   #37
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

That gorilla gym looks great! I have two girls but they have cray amount of energy. Last winter I put a trampoline in the middle of the living room ( it made it so hard to get trough to the kitchen) it saved my sanity. Dh didn't quite get why I wanted it but he is never home all day.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (09-10-2015), MrsDuck (09-11-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 07:52 AM   #38
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute

We made light sabers out of pool noodles.

They are just noodles cut in half, duct tape handles and electrical tape "buttons". Do not use in a room with electronics, framed photos, etc. Or pets.

Otherwise? Have at.

My first kid was, in relation to his sister, pretty chill. Now I have a small crazy person. Yesterday at. The park I told her to slide to me. She was like "okay, trust fall!" And threw herself down face first. She just popped up grinning "again!".
Beth1231 (09-10-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 08:34 AM   #39
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

I had mine playing Minecraft in an early Beta at five years old. That way, he'd destroy fake things. His creativity in destroying is amazing.

At first, he dug straight down to bedrock over and over. Soon after, just barely into having ever played on a computer, he dammed off a valley and flooded it. He's learned about circuitry in order to destroy more now that Minecraft has redstone.

The other day, he asked me how tsunamis form. I told him the ocean floor moves vertically. The next thing I know, he's formed one in Minecraft. He'd rigged an ocean floor with pistons and the Minecraft physics responded correctly!

I think destruction makes boys feel more powerful. It takes a long time to build. Destruction changes the world so much more quickly.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThreeKids For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (09-10-2015), Quiteria (09-10-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 09:01 AM   #40
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeKids View Post
I had mine playing Minecraft in an early Beta at five years old. That way, he'd destroy fake things. His creativity in destroying is amazing.

At first, he dug straight down to bedrock over and over. Soon after, just barely into having ever played on a computer, he dammed off a valley and flooded it. He's learned about circuitry in order to destroy more now that Minecraft has redstone.

The other day, he asked me how tsunamis form. I told him the ocean floor moves vertically. The next thing I know, he's formed one in Minecraft. He'd rigged an ocean floor with pistons and the Minecraft physics responded correctly!

I think destruction makes boys feel more powerful. It takes a long time to build. Destruction changes the world so much more quickly.
Hmm.Maybe I should look into this Minecraft thing. Your last paragraph,eerily enough,made me think of how most world leaders are male.
Joy,I love what you said about being the calm in the storm,the rhythmic heartbeat that holds them secure.
The Gorilla Gym looks amazing! I have a toddler swing in my kitchen and it's super helpful,but we aren't going to put those holes from the screws in our new home. But the Gorilla Gym....I am going to ask Hubby!
AFYER we move,I can let them destroy boxes to their hearts content. Ooh,maybe make a box maze!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beth1231 For This Useful Post:
MrsDuck (09-11-2015), Quiteria (09-10-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 01:30 PM   #41
zeo2ski
Rosebud

zeo2ski will become famous soon enoughzeo2ski will become famous soon enough

Can you give them an area at the new house where they're allowed to dig? Dirt, trucks, sticks, and a hose are endless entertainment around here.

Definitely just get rid of the nice stuff. They're going to jump on the furniture, period. It is their home and it's GOOD that they feel they can use any of the available contents. Anything you think they will ruin needs to not be accessible for a few more years. Basically, part of the grace you're trying to incorporate into your parenting needs to include the arena of STUFF. It belongs to the kids too, but adjust your expectations down to the reality of destruction that is just a natural part of raising humans at this stage. The people who keep nice stuff nice while their kids are little? Well some kids are naturally mellow and careful, but I'd guess the majority are using other discipline methods to accomplish that.

(Purposely destroying for malicious reasons is something else entirely, but the examples you gave are not that.)

Mama to '06, '08, '10, '12, '14, '15, ^'17^, '18 and former foster mama always missing '09, '11, '13, '11
zeo2ski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zeo2ski For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (09-21-2015), WanderingJuniper (10-03-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 08:25 AM   #42
MariJo7
Rose Trellis

MariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeo2ski View Post
The people who keep nice stuff nice while their kids are little? Well some kids are naturally mellow and careful, but I'd guess the majority are using other discipline methods to accomplish that.
Indeed . When my kids were little I used to put high up those things I did not want my kids to destroy. I got all kind of remarks and comments from my punitive church members. And when I visited their homes, it was quite stressful...
My kids were not especially destructive, but they were kids. And they loved to jump on the couch. I told them that was allowed at home .

Now the kids are grown up, but we still have no nice furniture . Now we have two dogs...

But I guess it is better to have happy, living creatures around than nice, but dead stuff.
MariJo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MariJo7 For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (10-01-2015), WanderingJuniper (10-03-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 10:28 PM   #43
Beth1231
Deactivated

My four year old hauled dead branches out from under our tree yesterday and I thought of this thread. He was thrilled to lug around wood and make it into a pile just for the joy of it.
I also had both my boys help me drag the trash to the road yesterday morning. We couldn't do that before near a busy road,but now it's. A quiet,country lane. They loved the heave ho big muscle work. I'm trying to remember to ask them to move,push,haul whatever they can manage as we unpack.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Beth1231 For This Useful Post:
marigold (10-02-2015), MariJo7 (10-02-2015), mommychem (10-07-2015), Quiteria (10-02-2015), WanderingJuniper (10-03-2015)