Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 06-26-2014, 10:27 PM   #1
allisonintx
Rose Garden

Some Cal/Mag will probably fix that.

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute
Default My Contrarian...

This is going to be a novel.

Get a glass of wine and join me
on the couch.

I'm in INTP parenting whiplash.

16yo INTP son goes to Summer Studio, the program for high schoolers at the Art Institute. Works regularly, all day and then when it's time for Dinner & Mandatory Fun he refuses.

Counselor calls me frantic because he "won't tell her what's wrong" umm, what part of "I'm exhausted and not hungry" isn't telling her? O.o

anyway, I tell her to tell him that he has to go, but doesn't have to participate and to not worry if he's the weird kid in the corner...it's an art school, there are certainly plenty of those to be had, and apologized for his being difficult. I didn't hear back from them so I figure it's all going well enough.

I'm feeling so frustrated because every thing this kid does with other humans is always this difficult, and there's always this phone call, and I'm worried that he's never going to catch on with the social cues and learn to fake it past ladies like this counselor. <deep sigh>

We have spent a lot of time over the last year discussing social cues, learning to read micro-expressions and body language in order to keep foot out of mouth...all the things an ENFJ, like me, takes for granted, he needs spelled out, and then given a reason to care about it. It is a major labor of love helping him appear human, some days.

Fast forward to Student Showcase <aka parents day>
Ahh, the paradox that is the INTP

I had two staff members see my name tag, and double back to ask "you're Andrew's mom? He's really talented, you know. It's been great having him this week"

And then, the girl who called me yesterday stopped me and said "just to follow up, you were totes right. I left him alone and then next thing I know he's off with the whole group of girls playing putt-putt, riding go-carts and having a great time. I have no idea why leaving him alone made that happen, but it did!" <facepalm> Yea. "Totes" INTP. Tell them they're going to have fun an they get all Contrarian on you. Tell them they're welcome to brood and watch them flourish without the weight of expectation.

And then, they're handing out tuition scholarships to the rising seniors, and announce that they are giving two special scholarships to rising juniors to return to Summer Studio next year for free and one of them went to him.

He drove back home in my car, and tells me that "all of the things you told me about socializing are correct and actually work" and "It was a little weird being the best looking, most clever guy in the group, but it sure didn't hurt with the girls." This sounds conceited but he's saying it as an almost scientific assessment.... it was a seriously motley group of kids at this 'camp' and he really did get treated to some serious attention and flirtation that wouldn't happen in his suburban Texas life because he's no captain of the *anything* team.
He also said it was really nice that no one there knew him or any of his family...he was just Andrew, not Lizzie's brother or Steve and Allison's kid, which makes absolute sense to me.

Oh my word, I'm just o.O. I hardly even know what to think when he shares that much about himself.

It's a good thing that this ENFJ mom can roll with a paradox because that boy is every bit of one. INTP = perpetual parenting whiplash. 😎

I'm always a little amazed by how seriously I underestimate him, but I suppose as long as there are those phone calls, there will be that underlying lack of trust that he's going to make it ok, even though he also regularly shows me that he is a hard worker...and hard working goes a long way toward forgiving social awkwardness.

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen
Mother to Elizabeth 19, Andrew 17, Abigail 14 & Evelyn 12

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

allisonintx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to allisonintx For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (06-27-2014), BlissfullyEsther (06-26-2014), Bonnie (06-27-2014), CelticJourney (06-27-2014), doubleblessings (06-27-2014), Dtswife (06-27-2014), HadassahSukkot (06-27-2014), homesteadmama (06-27-2014), Mother Duck (06-27-2014), PlateauMama (06-26-2014), Psyche (06-27-2014), Quiteria (06-27-2014), saturnfire16 (06-27-2014), Starfish (06-27-2014), sunflowermom (06-26-2014), tazmom (06-27-2014), Teacher Mom (06-27-2014), tempus vernum (06-27-2014), Virginia (06-27-2014), WanderingJuniper (06-27-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 10:38 PM   #2
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Contrarian...

Mom to ENTP who always appreciates your posts and hopes to have the same degree of success in 7ish yrs. right now we are still at "x upset feeler friend? *I* wouldn't have been upset"

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
WanderingJuniper (06-27-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 10:47 PM   #3
ReedleBeetle
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Hangin' on for dear life!

ReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond repute

Single Momma to LegoCraft May 2005
ReedleBeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:40 PM   #4
Codi
Rose Garden

Codi has disabled reputation

EXHAUSTED ENTP mom here too (8yo ds1) who appreciates your posts as well.

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
Codi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:50 PM   #5
L-Boogie
Rose Trellis

L-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond repute

And here I am wishing I could be a fly on the wall during your facial expressions interpretation coaching... .
11/06 2/10 8/13
L-Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to L-Boogie For This Useful Post:
Bonnie (06-27-2014), doubleblessings (06-27-2014), homesteadmama (06-27-2014), Kiara.I (06-27-2014), Rugayatu (07-01-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 05:14 AM   #6
Saoirse
Rose Garden

Coming out into the Light!

Saoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond repute

You rock!!!

"A victim lives in fear. A Survivor endures. A victim is weak and powerless, paying for what was not her doing.
A Survivor has grown strong because she knows the price is not hers to pay, the sin is not hers to atone." - unknown

Alis volat propriis

SingleFabulousMamas unite!
Saoirse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:30 AM   #7
Teacher Mom
Rose Garden

Teacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond repute

I have not seen your other posts, but this one did make me smile....my son is like that too. Annnnnd good looking....I seriiously had a recent talk with him because I am afrrrrrraid of girls pouncing on him at fair this year...there.are.some.really. ugh....aggressive girls out there and my son is only 13 but tall and handsome....a chick magnet

but still socially a "Sheldon" on many levels..... i totally loved how you said he would say all that - in a scientific sorta way - cause that is how my son speaks to me too. It makes me laugh inside.....

thanks for sharing!! and so happy he got the scholarship!!! yay!!!!!

Teacher Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:53 AM   #8
Little Forest
Rose Garden

Rich in girls.

Little Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond repute

You must be *so* proud, of him and of yourself.
Posted via Mobile Device
Little Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:18 AM   #9
SouthPaw
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

SouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond repute

it's funny to read about "us"
SouthPaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SouthPaw For This Useful Post:
allisonintx (06-27-2014), Bonnie (06-27-2014), L-Boogie (06-29-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 09:21 AM   #10
ShiriChayim
Rose Garden

Rock on!!!

ShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond repute

It's so hopeful to hear better stories. I haven't typed my kiddos in any sense, and I tend to be pretty bad at that sort of thing anyway, but man...8 is kicking my butt here.
: ds15yo- the performer, ds14yo- the gamer, ds 12yo- the adventurer, and dd 10yo-the dynamo
Missing my little Malachi David and Hannah Danielle, in Jesus' arms
Check out my blog

"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
*Dr Seuss*

ShiriChayim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:46 AM   #11
allisonintx
Rose Garden

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute

The facial expressions thing: we use TV for that.

I learned it a long time ago from a book, but the idea to teach Andrew as a survival mechanism came from the tv show Lie to Me. It's on netflix and is a great tutorial/introduction to reading people's nonverbal cues.

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to allisonintx For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (06-27-2014), Dovenoir (06-27-2014), homesteadmama (06-27-2014), Quiteria (06-28-2014), Teacher Mom (06-27-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 11:50 AM   #12
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

I just love your posts. You're so insightful.

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:32 PM   #13
Codi
Rose Garden

Codi has disabled reputation

The title keeps catching me and making me face palm. Cause it's SO my ds1. Contrarian. Sooooooo much so. All. The. Time.

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
Codi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:08 PM   #14
allisonintx
Rose Garden

I've often said that parenting Andrew is like parenting the Borg. Nothing works on him more than once....until recently.

I realized that I was shooting myself in the foot. As long as I couch everything in terms of "most of the time" and "usually" rather than as any kind of absolute. Any time I would use an absolute and then later it turns out not to be so absolute, it confirmed to him that I couldn't be trusted. Actually, he had pretty much decided that all adults are liars because nothing is absolute or the things they insist are WRONG, they turn around and do it themselves citing "it's different" when it's not. Saying "usually, most of the time, and generally speaking" when discussing rules with him, really makes a huge difference in his willingness to cooperate across the board.

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen

. . . . . . .

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to allisonintx For This Useful Post:
Bonnie (06-28-2014), Codi (06-27-2014), L-Boogie (06-29-2014), OnAMission (06-27-2014), Quiteria (06-28-2014), ReedleBeetle (06-27-2014), sweetpeasmommy (06-27-2014), Teacher Mom (06-27-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 04:42 PM   #15
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutes don't fly here either. One time I insisted that throwing a broken toy in the kiddie pool wouldn't make it work. Ever. But it did. I lost all credibility that day.

C can read facial expressions just fine and pick up on what another person feels. The problem is, he determines their upset to be invalid if it wouldn't upset him and frankly doesn't care. Especially a certain friend that is a big feeler, c is just :meh

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote