Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 06-27-2014, 11:23 AM   #1
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute
sensitive Those punitive facebook memes

Why are they OK? Really "If I talked to my parents the way kids do today, I wouldn't be alive to post this!" What that even insinuates makes me sick.

Someone I know posted something similar where they said that they were lucky to survive their teens without their parents killing them. Or something. And it had a pic of a parent holding a rolling pin.

Why is this funny? Children are spanked to death. Its heartbreaking.

I want to post in my feed "To my parents - I was an angry, angsty, flighty teen that gave you grief. Thank you for loving me despite my flaws. Thank you for giving me grace and showing me forgiveness. I know it wasn't easy."

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (06-27-2014), Findabhair (06-27-2014), FlyingBlueKiwi (06-29-2014), Hannah Elise (06-29-2014), homesteadmama (06-27-2014), LearningMama (06-27-2014), LilacPhoenix (06-28-2014), Mother Duck (06-28-2014), Rugayatu (06-27-2014), saturnfire16 (06-27-2014), SewingGreenMama (06-27-2014), ThreeKids (06-27-2014), WanderingJuniper (06-27-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 11:35 AM   #2
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Those punitive facebook memes

I don't get it either. I get that some pretty horrible stuff gets laughed off because it's normal and people do that...for some reason, okay, maybe I don't entirely get that either. But killing a kid is in another league. Were they actually at least close to being under threat of death at one point that this is the "normal horrible" they have to laugh off?

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:44 AM   #3
BelovedDaughter
Climbing Rose

BelovedDaughter has a brilliant futureBelovedDaughter has a brilliant futureBelovedDaughter has a brilliant futureBelovedDaughter has a brilliant futureBelovedDaughter has a brilliant futureBelovedDaughter has a brilliant futureBelovedDaughter has a brilliant futureBelovedDaughter has a brilliant futureBelovedDaughter has a brilliant futureBelovedDaughter has a brilliant futureBelovedDaughter has a brilliant future

I was seriously abused as a child so seeing those memes really hits home and hurts me. I think some people post them and actually think it's funny and they don't realize that there are other ways! They also probably don't realize how many children come close to death from being treated so brutally.

Married in 2010 to programmer hubby
Momma to A since 5/19/14

BelovedDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BelovedDaughter For This Useful Post:
Hannah Elise (06-29-2014), Sparrow (06-27-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 11:44 AM   #4
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

I just think its meant to be funny.

Mama to:

The Following User Says Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
Christore (06-27-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 12:02 PM   #5
Dovenoir
Rose Garden

Dove - noir

Dovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond repute

I think we as a culture use the word "kill" to denote things other than the ending of life. And it's rather disrespectful, but common language would have to be changed first.
Christore (06-27-2014), Findabhair (06-27-2014), Johns_Gal (06-27-2014), kindundmama (06-27-2014), rjy9343 (06-28-2014), Sparrow (06-27-2014), Virginia (07-03-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 12:05 PM   #6
Proverbs3Rubies
Deactivated

Proverbs3Rubies is a name known to allProverbs3Rubies is a name known to allProverbs3Rubies is a name known to allProverbs3Rubies is a name known to allProverbs3Rubies is a name known to allProverbs3Rubies is a name known to allProverbs3Rubies is a name known to allProverbs3Rubies is a name known to all

I had to delete my FB because I couldn't take it anymore.
People are cruel and full of snap judgments.
No empathy.
Full of hostile, opinionated propaganda without agreeing to disagree about *any*thing.

The dog/baby/kid maiming stories/pics, the bad news stories, the complaining about EVERYTHING, the God will be your lucky genie if you like and share this cancer kid...
yeahdone.

Best decision I ever made.
And weeded friends who just possibly couldn't continue a real-life relationship without being a voyeuristic know-it-all about every detail in your life.

So much more peace.
Proverbs3Rubies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Proverbs3Rubies For This Useful Post:
ClassicMom (06-29-2014), Hannah Elise (06-29-2014), Sparrow (06-27-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 12:29 PM   #7
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

I think they are meant to be somewhat hyperbolic. I don't like those memes but I don't take them seriously and I don't think the people in my feed are giving them critical though before posting either. It bothers me more that there is so little respect toward the younger generations.

Fwiw, I would never actually harm my children but we're a bit spicy and speek in hyperbole and sarcasm so I would post something like, "I ordered a cup of don't kill your children from DD. Best decision of the night. It's an off menu item."
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
Dtswife (06-27-2014), Hannah Elise (06-29-2014), kindundmama (06-27-2014), rjy9343 (07-02-2014), Sparrow (06-27-2014), Virginia (07-03-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 12:38 PM   #8
Sparrow
Rose Garden

That's a bit different though. Saying "I wouldn't be alive to post this if I talked to my parents that way....." so different.

I DO think of the kids that aren't beaten to death. And not out of angry. We're talking the methodically beat them until you break them crap the Pearls and the like peddle. Its horrible. And I have a very spirited "Strong Willed" child would would be black and blue if we actually followed it.

Mama to:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
Findabhair (06-27-2014), WanderingJuniper (06-27-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 02:51 PM   #9
Dtswife
Rose Bouquet

Dtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond repute

I think whining about the"horrible, lazy, snot nosed rug rats" of whatever generation immediately follows your own is an at least millennia old tradition. Obnoxious and dumb, but super duper likely to continue...... and be essentially meaningless.

Married since May 2010 to DT
Mama to Zoe 8/1/13
Baby number two due May 17th 2015

Last edited by Dtswife; 06-27-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Dtswife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dtswife For This Useful Post:
Hannah Elise (06-29-2014), homesteadmama (06-27-2014), mellifera (06-29-2014), Rugayatu (06-27-2014), Sparrow (06-27-2014), squiddles (06-27-2014), WanderingJuniper (06-27-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 03:43 PM   #10
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

I hear ya Sparrow. I have one of those too.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
Sparrow (06-27-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 05:50 PM   #11
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Deuteronomy 11:19

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute

I'm getting to the point that I'm hiding almost everything from my feed. Except groups that I use to keep up with park dates and play groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

W&C 8/4/06; G 15yo , M 11yo , S 8/29/13 , V 8yo , Baby 2yo
SewingGreenMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SewingGreenMama For This Useful Post:
Sparrow (06-28-2014)
Old 06-28-2014, 01:10 AM   #12
JoEllen
Banned

"When life gives you lemons, cut them in half and squirt life in the eye!" - Unknown

JoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond repute

I have to hide those if I get one. I rarely have flashbacks these days, but it still makes me feel icky inside.
JoEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoEllen For This Useful Post:
Sparrow (06-28-2014)
Old 06-28-2014, 04:10 AM   #13
Barefoot
Climbing Rose

Now I'm standing here, my heart so full I can't explain.

Barefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant future

I don't like them either. Facebook needs a roll eyes smilie

TTC a second child since 2011
Giving up, with peace granted by God.
(Trying IVF one more time - I got an inheritance )
It worked!!! But then failed

~

~ Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says
"Oh Crap, She's up!" ~
Barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barefoot For This Useful Post:
Sparrow (06-28-2014)
Old 06-29-2014, 12:23 PM   #14
Michele123
Rose Trellis

Michele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. I still remember my dad yelling at us "I'd be black and blue if I tried that with MY father when I was a kid!!" I caught myself telling ( not yelling, thankfully) DD once about how badly I would have been hit on the bottom (she doesn't know what a spanking is) if I had tried such and such.

I do think there is a generational thing there, especially as we start to realize how bad physical punishment is. It "worked" on is (I.e. Got us to comply) and yet we know not to use it on our children. So what do we use? Many people don't know. They don't have the tools from their parents generation, but they also don't know what to replace those tools with. - Especially if you are expecting the same behavior outcome. That's why my dad was such a yeller. He didn't want to beat us, but he had no other tools to replace that one so he yelled. People don't know what to do so they use humor, or lament how out of control "kids these days" are.

JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ENFJ, please excuse my stream of consciousness posts.

Battled infertility for 3 1/2 years before DD (PCOS)
TTC #2 for 6 months (3 ovulations)

Married to DH since Aug 2004
DD born Feb 2012
DS born May 2014
#3 due Aug 2016
Michele123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Michele123 For This Useful Post:
Dtswife (06-29-2014), MercyInDisguise (07-01-2014), rjy9343 (07-02-2014), Sparrow (06-29-2014)