Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #331
backtobasicsmum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

backtobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diatomacious Earth ( DE ) thread :)

How on earth do you guys take this? What am I doing wrong? Even 1/2 tsp in a BIG cup of water is like drinking a thick dirty sludge. There is no way on earth my kids would ever be able to drink it.
J - 14 My sparkly girl
L - 11 My funny boy
O - 9 My snuggly boy
backtobasicsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #332
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

smoothie

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #333
Tandem mama
Rose Garden

In my world everyone's a pony

Tandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond repute

Apple juice, apple sauce. Cuppycake has SPD and won't take it. I don't mind chalky texture

Married since 2007 to my Apple-geeky artist Don (INTJ)
Mommy to Lydia (1/08) "Nature is really dirty"
Charlotte (7/10) "me am not chawlotte me are batman"
Introducing Nolan January 11, 2014

Tandem mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #334
justbreathe
Deactivated

Grumpy kitten is watching you

justbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtobasicsmum View Post
How on earth do you guys take this? What am I doing wrong? Even 1/2 tsp in a BIG cup of water is like drinking a thick dirty sludge. There is no way on earth my kids would ever be able to drink it.

When I tried it before, I put it in my coffee. This time, I just mix a bit with a few ounces of juice and chug it down. For my kids, I do the same, but we're on a really small dose right now - 1/4 tsp. They don't seem to mind . . . probably bc i'm giving them straight juice instead of our normal diluted.

so, what is the official word again afa best time to take it? with food or without? But, not at the same time as probiotics right?

(I'm sorry, I read through this entire thread once before but I don't know if I can do it again! "me"! I thought you were gone! You were so helpful with all of the DE stuff! )
justbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justbreathe For This Useful Post:
me (01-09-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 06:50 AM   #335
StrangeTraveller
Deactivated

StrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond repute

I have a hard time with water. I think when I start up again it will be in smoothies. I put the boys' in their oatmeal.
StrangeTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StrangeTraveller For This Useful Post:
justbreathe (01-08-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #336
hopeforchange
Deactivated

hopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond repute

I think it mixes really well in OJ. I normally have HUGE sensory issues with stuff like that and I can handle 1 Tbsp mixed in fairly small cup of OJ.

So I can take it with anything? I like to take my vitamins with OJ to cut down on the aftertaste and had quit taking the DE b/c I wasn't sure if I could put it in the my OJ and then use that to take my vitamins.
hopeforchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #337
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

I was lazy today and just held my breath and put a spoonful in my mouth, then put a spoonful of yogurt in my mouth.

If you put it in a smoothie, do you put it in the blender or just stir it into your cup when you are done? If you blend it in the blender, does it grind it up and mess up the shape?

I have been taking it since Friday and have seen no changes yet. Does that mean I need to up the dosage to a Tbs already, or do I just need to give it time?

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #338
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

Just read the whole thread. . I started reading last night, apparently I gave my Dh nightmares about parasites because I'm such a verbal processor. . As soon as I can I will be getting some.

OT but wrt "normal" thyroid levels, you have to make sure you get the actual results. My ds3 had his TSH levels taken and the doctor's office called and told me it was normal. I asked for the number and it was about .01 from hypothyroid. That is not "normal" IMO especially when someone has symptoms.
HomeWithMyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #339
hopeforchange
Deactivated

hopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealLifeMama View Post
I was lazy today and just held my breath and put a spoonful in my mouth, then put a spoonful of yogurt in my mouth.

If you put it in a smoothie, do you put it in the blender or just stir it into your cup when you are done? If you blend it in the blender, does it grind it up and mess up the shape?

I have been taking it since Friday and have seen no changes yet. Does that mean I need to up the dosage to a Tbs already, or do I just need to give it time?
I don't think the blender will affect it. I do know that you need to be really careful not to breathe the silica dust, so I wouldn't feel comfortable putting it straight in my mouth.

When I added it to a smoothie, I added it after I was done blending and just stirred it in, just because it seemed easiest.
hopeforchange is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hopeforchange For This Useful Post:
Llee (05-04-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #340
backtobasicsmum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

backtobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond repute

I just did a bit of digging and it seems the stuff I got has a lot of clay mixed in. Which accounts for the thick sludge-like dirt drink I've been trying to get down.
J - 14 My sparkly girl
L - 11 My funny boy
O - 9 My snuggly boy
backtobasicsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #341
Blue Aurora
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Blue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, mine isn't sludge like at all. Chalky is what I think of trying to describe it.

True obedience is a matter of love, which makes it voluntary, not compelled by fear or force. ~Dorothy Day

Blue Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Aurora For This Useful Post:
Tandem mama (01-08-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #342
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeforchange View Post
I don't think the blender will affect it. I do know that you need to be really careful not to breathe the silica dust, so I wouldn't feel comfortable putting it straight in my mouth.

Yes, I remember reading that, so that is why I said I held my breath.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #343
StrangeTraveller
Deactivated

StrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond repute

I stir it in after it is blended. I forgot I have capsules I can put it in though...
StrangeTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #344
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

It's supposed to be white, iirc, Karisa.

The stuff my mom got from the feed store for her garden was brrrrrown. I was so sad!!
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stiina For This Useful Post:
backtobasicsmum (01-10-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #345
Starfox
Deactivated

Ain't nobody got time for perfection!

Starfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond repute

What brand do you buy? I'm so getting some, but I don't want the sludgy stuff.
Starfox is offline   Reply With Quote