Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Animal Companions (Pets) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* A public forum.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:05 AM   #1
Little Forest
Rose Garden

Rich in girls.

Little Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond repute
Default dog walking

My 11 yr old is interested to do a bit of dog walking in the neighborhood so I was going to help her make flyers. But, we do not know about dogs. How long is a typical walk? I was wondering if we should price it in 15 min increments, how does that sound?

Would appreciate if dog owners could weigh in on this. And I know that people probably like to walk their own dogs themselves but she really wants to try to do this.

Sweet Pea-DD1, Jan 04, 1/4
Tiger Lily-DD2, Jan 06, 2/1
Buttercup-DD3, Feb 08, 2/4
Dandelion-DD4, Nov 10, 2/3
Honeysuckle-DD5 March 13, 2/4
And there is DH too, ISTJ, DYT 4/2, I think!
Little Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:22 AM   #2
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dog walking

People are fine with others walking their dogs from time to time. Dog walking path and length of travel vary with the dog. Sometimes they just want the dog to relieve themselves, sometimes it's a dog that can't get much exercise other ways. She'd probably be doing it when the owner is home but trying to get ready to leave at first, but once trust is built, being able to unlock someone's house and retrieve the dog so they can be walked when the owner is gone is a valuable service.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThreeKids For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (02-06-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 05:46 AM   #3
Little Forest
Rose Garden

Rich in girls.

Little Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeKids View Post
People are fine with others walking their dogs from time to time. Dog walking path and length of travel vary with the dog. Sometimes they just want the dog to relieve themselves, sometimes it's a dog that can't get much exercise other ways. She'd probably be doing it when the owner is home but trying to get ready to leave at first, but once trust is built, being able to unlock someone's house and retrieve the dog so they can be walked when the owner is gone is a valuable service.
Thanks, yes. So do you think 15 minute increments are good, or would 5 or 10 min increments be better, some walks 10 min, some 20, some 30? Not sure of the range of what people might need would be.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:48 AM   #4
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know. I'd let the owner decide and charge accordingly.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
The Following User Says Thank You to ThreeKids For This Useful Post:
Virginia (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 05:50 AM   #5
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Forest View Post
Thanks, yes. So do you think 15 minute increments are good, or would 5 or 10 min increments be better, some walks 10 min, some 20, some 30? Not sure of the range of what people might need would be.

I have only had big dogs AND a large fenced yard, so ymmv. I would think 15 minutes increments at a minimum. I wouldn't bother to pay someone to walk my dog for less than that. And honestly, if I were to pay someone I would think 30-60 minutes. Or maybe 20 minutes increments?

DD pet sits, so also maybe bill herself as a pet sitter and dog walker?
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:05 AM   #6
domesticzookeeper
Rose Garden

domesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeKids View Post
I don't know. I'd let the owner decide and charge accordingly.

I think 15 minute increments makes good sense, and might make it easier for her to keep track of the schedule. I would also pay for a good 30 minute walk, possibly an hour.

Last edited by domesticzookeeper; 02-05-2019 at 06:07 AM.
domesticzookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to domesticzookeeper For This Useful Post:
Little Forest (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 06:27 AM   #7
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

Each visit would have some overhead in logistics, especially with how hard it is to catch people at home these days. That's part of why 3-20 minute increments is worth way more than a one hour walk.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:47 AM   #8
Little Forest
Rose Garden

Rich in girls.

Thanks. That is very helpful to know.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:28 AM   #9
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

I never had a dog walking service but if I did I would want to pay by distance. Some dogs stop and sniff, and that's part of the walk, but it can add time that isn't getting their exercise needs met. Especially if it's a breed of dog that needs to burn off energy, I'd pay by the mile. That's about a brisk twenty minutes with no stops.
HomeWithMyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeWithMyBabies For This Useful Post:
Virginia (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 01:40 PM   #10
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't pay for anything less than fifteen minutes.

I'd also have her watch some YouTube videos about the proper way to hold the leash so she can correct/command the dog properly without hurting it or herself. And some dogs aren't trained and will pull on the leash no matter what you do. So she should either be ready for that or be ready to tell a client that she won't take their dog out again. Most people that hire a dog service will have easy going dogs, though, I would think. I remember having a few tough jobs when I was a kid, though, with a strong dog that weighed about as much as I did and wasn't trained.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
domesticzookeeper (02-05-2019), everybody's mother (02-06-2019), Little Forest (02-05-2019), Virginia (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 01:56 PM   #11
domesticzookeeper
Rose Garden

domesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWithMyBabies View Post
I never had a dog walking service but if I did I would want to pay by distance. Some dogs stop and sniff, and that's part of the walk, but it can add time that isn't getting their exercise needs met. Especially if it's a breed of dog that needs to burn off energy, I'd pay by the mile. That's about a brisk twenty minutes with no stops.
My only objection to this would be that if she does get a meandering, easily distracted dog, she'll be losing money on that dog vs. a more focused one.

I don't know I see a dog walking service as an opportunity for a dog to get out of the house, stretch their legs, and sniff the trees. If I know my dog to be both distractable and in need of a good walk, I'd just pay for the bigger chunk of time
everybody's mother (02-06-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 04:17 PM   #12
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

I have an active dog so that colors my opinion. Stopping for a sniff here and there is expected but if we don't cover some ground she'll be unruly later, so I walk pretty fast to get more distance in less time. Most services go by time but someone could mosey along for twenty minutes and it won't put a dent in my dog's energy level.
HomeWithMyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:48 PM   #13
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Forest View Post
....But, we do not know about dogs. ....
I'm a big dog person and, like others, have a fence and actually wouldn't have someone else walk them because....well, big dog...so I have no advice about time. But I would advise you both spend some time learning about dogs and their body language. Scared, happy, aggressive can look similar. Prepare her for things like 'what to do if someone asks if they can pet the dog' (she needs to ask the owners, dog may be a fear biter) 'what to do if another dog approaches' etc.....

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
domesticzookeeper (02-05-2019), everybody's mother (02-06-2019), tempus vernum (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 05:21 PM   #14
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticJourney View Post
I'm a big dog person and, like others, have a fence and actually wouldn't have someone else walk them because....well, big dog...so I have no advice about time. But I would advise you both spend some time learning about dogs and their body language. Scared, happy, aggressive can look similar. Prepare her for things like 'what to do if someone asks if they can pet the dog' (she needs to ask the owners, dog may be a fear biter) 'what to do if another dog approaches' etc.....
I'm a dog person and I also wouldn't allow anyone else to walk them BUT when we hire dog sitters, we REQUIRE people know about dogs and have experience with dogs. So I highly suggest she get experience w dogs first. Volunteer at an animal shelter specifically with the dogs. Dogs are amazing and fun but can also be unruly and wild if not treated firmly. When they "meet" (see) other dogs and they start humping or growling, it can be difficult to deal with depending on the animal

My ds was walking a neighbors' dog at 15 and stopped after a few weeks because certain dogs just DO NOT obey him because they don't get walked. He was used to our trained pooches and their pleasant strolls.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (02-05-2019)