Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:44 PM   #1
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car food?!

What are your go-tos for car trip foods?

On Thursday we leave for our cross country move. We just got back from our trip to South America so I am having trouble coming up with good options.

My goal is to eat breakfast and lunch in the car with food that I have with us, and then we can stop for dinner.

We are gluten, dairy and soy free and my kitchen is all packed up but I would love to hear all of your ideas because it will help me come up with things I can buy and make work.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:52 PM   #2
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation
Default Re: Car food?!

we have 3/6 of our family gluten free too and we do all our road trips as car food. Here's our go to's

- granola bars
- individual applesauce
- fruit leathers
- fresh fruit
- fresh veggies chopped up
- pretzels and hummus
- smoked wild caught salmon
- shredded chicken (cooked ahead in IP or crock pot)
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
knitlove (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 08:14 PM   #3
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a Bread that you all like, you could pack some veggies for sandwiches.

Lunch meat cut up for finger food, veggies, finger size, black and green olives. (If there are crackers that meet your Soy Free requirement you could have home made lunchables.)

Instead of mason jars, could you get some different sized Ziplock containers and have meat (Rotisserie Chicken cut up) and get a salad bag to make a quick salad with strawberries or grapes.

Cut up fruits for snacks.

Raisins

Nuts (if you know of a brand that is soy free........or raw nuts)

Tuna that could be put on a salad from a bagged salad at the grocery store.

boiled eggs travel pretty well. You could peel some and then transport some to be shelled later.

Could you stop and get a Smoothie at one of the SMoothie stores that is made from veggies and fruits? It is a good meal substitute for me.

If you stop at a grocery store, you could pick up some Almond or Coconut yogurt or drinks.

We do frequent stops at grocery stores, it is cheaper. Maybe if you have a way to heat up water, you could do instant GF oatmeal (GlutenFReeda) if you take a glass bowl for each of you with spoons............ you can wash them in the sink at the motel.

Last edited by Maedchen; 02-17-2019 at 08:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
knitlove (02-18-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 08:52 PM   #4
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Thai spring rolls take some prep but they are so yummy and great car food! Last time we took a trip, I took lots of fruits and veggies with dips (homemade fake ranch and peanut butter). They were delicious!

Hard boiled eggs are good, too. And granola bars (can make with just nut butter, honey, and oats plus goodies like choc chips, raisins, nuts, etc).

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
knitlove (02-18-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 09:23 PM   #5
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

We do the homemade lunchable thing, too. We like salami, cheese, gf crackers and then we have cut up fresh veggies (cukes, celery, carrots, bell peppers) with dip (I make a homemade sour cream dill dip, but hummus would be good, too, and more fit your criteria) and grapes. We also splurge and buy snacks we don't usually eat just for fun like gf cookies, fruit strips, and the like.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
knitlove (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 07:09 AM   #6
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

Breakfast bars/granola bars
Fruit pouches
Nuts/trail mix
Lunch meat roll ups
Carrot sticks
Crackers or pretzels

We can do dairy so we also include cheese sticks and yogurt pouches.
My kids who can have wheat like the mini muffin packs too.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
knitlove (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 12:18 PM   #7
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

My kids eat double their portions on road trips out of boredom.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
knitlove (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 05:06 PM   #8
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

I buy snacks in bulk and give my kids cups. I keep a big box of all the non-perishable snacks in the back of the van and refill at rest stops. We have a small box in the middle row.
Cut up veggies
Fruit
Wholly Guacamole/Hummus/salsa - I freeze before we leave and use as ice packs the first day, same with drink boxes (Chi-Chi's makes individual salsa cups that can be frozen)

For longer trips, I take whatever I would stock in the pantry for a power outage. I'm normally reticent to buy individual serving size things, but I make exceptions for long trips.

Cereal (the store brand Chex is a favorite, and at $2/box super affordable.)
Tasty Bite Indian Food pouches - these can be easily microwaved at a motel, but I'm not sure what is dairy free.
canned Baked beans
Refried beans in a can - add tortilla chips and salsa for lunch
olives - the single serve ones are actually pretty good
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
knitlove (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 05:21 PM   #9
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post
My kids eat double their portions on road trips out of boredom.
Ya mine do too. *Sigh*

Old 02-18-2019, 06:46 PM   #10
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

I did entire lunch bags for each meal for one trip. That helped with portion control. I left bulk items in trunk then packed it at rest stops.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
knitlove (02-18-2019), Quiteria (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 06:18 AM   #11
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

Earthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
Thai spring rolls take some prep but they are so yummy and great car food!.
This is genius! Squirreling away for when I need it

Isabel
Mama to BB, 13
S, 4
T, 2
And Miss A 27/3/2020

Always missing my 5 9/10-1/12
My new venture! www.facebook.com/dizzyknits

Earthmummy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Earthmummy07 For This Useful Post:
knitlove (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 07:04 PM   #12
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

popcorn
rice cakes
bean chips
single serve rice pudding and yogurts
meal bars like Luna bars

pbj sandwiches, assembled during a stop

juice boxes
bottled water
chocolate milk
drinkable yogurt

One of my kids really likes beef jerky. I don't know if there are any safe brands.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
knitlove (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 07:07 PM   #13
knitlove
Rose Garden

I definitely need to think about having drinks, we have water bottles we can fill up but early bird especially gets where she won't drink things.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:32 AM   #14
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes water tastes weird when traveling far from home. Even in the US, sometimes it's enough to upset the stomach a little, or at least annoy a child with picky tastebuds, plus you have to stop somewhere to refill. So, a case of cheap spring water from somewhere like Aldi's can be worth it. They have a lot of gf snacks, too.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
knitlove (02-20-2019), Maedchen (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 07:31 AM   #15
knitlove
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiteria View Post
Sometimes water tastes weird when traveling far from home. Even in the US, sometimes it's enough to upset the stomach a little, or at least annoy a child with picky tastebuds, plus you have to stop somewhere to refill. So, a case of cheap spring water from somewhere like Aldi's can be worth it. They have a lot of gf snacks, too.
Oh I always forget about aldes because we don't have one here, but I am certain I will be going by some.

I wish I could taist test bottled water with early bird. Sometimes she doesn't like bottled any better than the tap.