Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:33 PM   #1
Maleldil's daughter
Rose Bouquet

Maleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud of
Default Kid friendly bean recipes?

For both health and budget reasons, I would like to get my family eating more bean-based meals. Problem is I'm the only one who really likes beans. Dh will accept them in certain dishes (curry, spicy chili, taco salad), but ds doesn't like any of those things. So far we haven't gotten him to accept Mexican/TexMex food even tho we've been in the US 8 months now. The only beans ds has liked are canned pork and beans, but that's not something I care to make a habit of.
Ideas? I'd be interested in a homemade healthier baked bean or sweet and sour sort of thing. Or maybe like a black bean hamburger? If anyone has family-approved recipes please share!

Wifey to the Husby 9/6/2006
Mama to The Littlest Man in all the Land 5/31/2012
and The Littlest Girl in all the World 1/28/2016

Counseling is like cleaning out your fridge. Mostly it's rearranging things so they make more sense. Now and then you come across some really nasty thing that's been stuck in the back way too long.
Maleldil's daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:49 PM   #2
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation
Default Re: Kid friendly bean recipes?

I make navy beans regularly and puree them in to recipes (specifically soups and sauces) as a good thickener. Kids have no idea they are even eating beans! It's fantastic.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:50 PM   #3
SalH
Rose Trellis

SalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kid friendly bean recipes?

I made slow cooker Boston baked beans last week. The sauce was great but I do think The beans could have been softer. I used navy beans. I have researched, and it's something to do with sugar content and wonder if simply they should have been cooked longer, maybe the recipe should have been better.

So Google Boston baked beans and try a recipe you like the look of. Because mine wasn't perfect I'm hesitant to say "hey try this...".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2016, 04:17 PM   #4
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalH View Post
I made slow cooker Boston baked beans last week. The sauce was great but I do think The beans could have been softer. I used navy beans. I have researched, and it's something to do with sugar content and wonder if simply they should have been cooked longer, maybe the recipe should have been better.

So Google Boston baked beans and try a recipe you like the look of. Because mine wasn't perfect I'm hesitant to say "hey try this...".

navy beans are my absolute go to bean and I cook it up very regularly. They've never not been soft enough. Are you soaking them overnight before cooking? And what is your cooking method and how long?

I've never cooked them stove top. I used to use the crock pot and now that I have an instant pot, I use that.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
SalH (09-21-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 05:37 PM   #5
SalH
Rose Trellis

SalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. I soaked them a long time before making up the freezer crock pot recipe (Baggie method, defrost, dump in slow cooker, add more liquid and hey presto).

Baked beans in a can are always navy beans. Why are they always soft?!!!

Old 09-21-2016, 06:03 PM   #6
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes. I soaked them a long time before making up the freezer crock pot recipe (Baggie method, defrost, dump in slow cooker, add more liquid and hey presto).

Baked beans in a can are always navy beans. Why are they always soft?!!!

Do you have any idea how old your beans were? Older beans can be tough.

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

Will your family do soups at all? What about a lental and sauage soup? You can cook it untill the lentals fall apart and then it thick broth.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:43 PM   #7
SalH
Rose Trellis

Yes. My beans were old. I did wonder whether that was the thing.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:06 PM   #8
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

parenting better than I garden

mamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried red lentils? They are easy to add to dishes, if not being a stand-alone part of a meal. They break down nicely and are smoother in texture for a lot of people vs. beans.

I add red lentils to a LOT of dishes, and have them in a few dishes on their own.
mamaKristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:49 PM   #9
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaKristin View Post
Have you tried red lentils? They are easy to add to dishes, if not being a stand-alone part of a meal. They break down nicely and are smoother in texture for a lot of people vs. beans.

I add red lentils to a LOT of dishes, and have them in a few dishes on their own.
Red lentils are good. You have to rinse and rinse and rinse them until all the bubbles are gone, though, or they are gross.

Black beans (pureed) can be used in place of oil in any chocolate baked-good recipe and white beans (also pureed) in anything else including soups, cheese sauces, or baked goods. I don't think it would be good in yeast breads but in anything with baking soda or baking powder in it like cookies, muffins, cake, brownies, etc.

My kids like bean burritos and soups where there are beans but lots more of other things like noodles and veggies.

Roasted chick peas are good. You can flavor them like anything- lemon pepper, barbecue, Italian seasonings, etc.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:00 AM   #10
2sunshines

Quote:
Yes. My beans were old. I did wonder whether that was the thing.

I would imagine that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaKristin View Post

Oh yes! Lentils! My dh is not really a bean lover (tho doesn't dislike them, just doesn't like too many in a dish. He isn't a huge fan of beans in soup BUT really likes lentils in soup. They are smaller and less noticeable.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:11 AM   #11
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Can they articulate what they don't like about beans?
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:35 PM   #12
Maleldil's daughter
Rose Bouquet

Maleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud of

Dh doesn't like beans because he considers them 'tasteless' and 'mushy.' Ds can't really explain why he won't eat them but I suspect it has to do with the somewhat mealy texture and also that he's going thru a very unadventurous eating phase. I tried bean burritos and chicken and black bean tacos to no avail. I made falafel because they both do like hummus - dh liked that but ds wouldn't even try one.
Dh also dislikes soup and soup with beans he considers basically a punishment.
Sauces sounds like a possibility though. Like on pasta? So... Any recipes? No dairy though..
Also is it even possible to make baked beans without too much sugar? All the recipes I am looking at have like a cup of sugar.

Wifey to the Husby 9/6/2006
Mama to The Littlest Man in all the Land 5/31/2012
and The Littlest Girl in all the World 1/28/2016

Counseling is like cleaning out your fridge. Mostly it's rearranging things so they make more sense. Now and then you come across some really nasty thing that's been stuck in the back way too long.
Maleldil's daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:07 PM   #13
2sunshines

For almost any sauce that I want thickened, I take cooked navy beans and puree them in to the sauce. Works great and no one even knows they are eating beans.

I do this in soups, gravies, and sauces. For example, just last week I made a chicken broth. After I made the broth, I cooked the beans in the broth, then pureed it and it made a nice beautiful thick broth. Added in the desired veggies, added the shredded chicken and the kids LOVED the thicker consistency of the soup.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:37 PM   #14
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

I made a Mexican lasagna that the kids really liked. I used a little DF cheese, salsa mixed with diced tomatoes and refried beans (really homemade pintos puréed with spices). Both kids liked it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

I made a sweet and sour chili. I wonder if it's in my blog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

http://oceanskater.blogspot.com/2009...til-chili.html

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (09-26-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 02:55 PM   #15
2sunshines

That chili recipe looks good. I've actually never done a meatless chili. So I like the idea of trying something very different than usual. The title includes "spicy". Is that just because of the added cayenne pepper to taste? Without that, I'm assuming it's not spicy. Correct? My kids are not fans of spice.