Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 10-01-2016, 03:30 PM   #1
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation
Default Your favourite gluten free bread recipe

So gluten free bread is $$$. And with two kids with gluten intolerances, one being a big sandwich eater, I need to make my own bread. I've been putting it off over the summer mostly because I try not to bake in general in the summer, but fall and cooler temps are here so the time has come.

I have pretty much most gluten free flours on hand. I don't buy all purpose due to the cost, but mix my own.

So.... What are your tried and true?
Old 10-01-2016, 04:00 PM   #2
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your favourite gluten free bread recipe

After 9 years of doing this, this is my favorite:

http://www.barefeetinthekitchen.com/...bread.html?m=1

We make it DF in the bread machine. I use a bit more liquid than this recipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

And I use my own baking mix and then add oat flour.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (10-01-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 04:07 PM   #3
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

The one from Cooks' Illustrated (The first "How Can it Be Gluten Free" Cookbook.) It's hands down the best one we've ever tried, and I've tried pretty much everything I've been able to find on the internet and in cookbooks. I don't have time to type it out right now, but poke me if you're interested and I haven't gotten back by tomorrow night.

That whole cookbook is fantastic, BTW. (I got it from my library initially, then ended up finding it at a used book store for half price. ) They came up with some unorthodox techniques, so if you like to read about the How's and Why's you'll enjoy it.

ATK GF flour blend

24 ounces white rice flour
7.5 ounces brown rice flour
7 ounces potato starch
3 ounces tapioca
.75 ounces (3T) nonfat dry milk powder (optional, but does make a difference)
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (10-01-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 04:34 PM   #4
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

This is the bread that I do https://silvanaskitchen.com/gluten-free-sandwich-bread/

I normally use millit or teff instead of the rice flour.

I also really love her all-purpose mix http://silvanaskitchen.com/silvanas-...en-free-flour/

That I also use millet and sorgum instead if rice flour.

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaMum View Post
The one from Cooks' Illustrated (The first "How Can it Be Gluten Free" Cookbook.)

That whole cookbook is fantastic, BTW. (I got it from my library initially, then ended up finding it at a used book store for half price. ) They came up with some unorthodox techniques, so if you like to read about the How's and Why's you'll enjoy it.
I have that book. If you can do dairy it is good.

I end up with cooking for Isaiah and Silvana's kitchen as my favorites because they are dairy free as well.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (10-01-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 04:36 PM   #5
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

I will add the recipes I chose are A LOT lighter on starches than most GF recipes. I try to stick with mostly whole grains. The heavy reliance on starch in GF cooking is a real issue and has a negative impact on blood sugar.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
Old 10-01-2016, 04:56 PM   #6
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

my multiquote skillz failed me.... Let me try again.

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake View Post
After 9 years of doing this, this is my favorite:

http://www.barefeetinthekitchen.com/...bread.html?m=1

We make it DF in the bread machine. I use a bit more liquid than this recipe.

---------- Post added at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

And I use my own baking mix and then add oat flour.

I love the idea of using a breadmaker. Back in our gluten baking days I had mostly given it up because i was frankly less than impressed at the end product (hard crusts resulting in bread that was super delicious hot and fresh but less so once it cooled). Do you find it different with gluten free bread? And what modifications do you make to this recipe to make it breadmaker friendly?

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaMum View Post
The one from Cooks' Illustrated (The first "How Can it Be Gluten Free" Cookbook.) It's hands down the best one we've ever tried, and I've tried pretty much everything I've been able to find on the internet and in cookbooks. I don't have time to type it out right now, but poke me if you're interested and I haven't gotten back by tomorrow night.
I am interested! For sure! Consider this your official poke. Tho I will poke more heavily after your self imposed deadline.

I will also look in to that book.

---------- Post added at 11:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
This is the bread that I do https://silvanaskitchen.com/gluten-free-sandwich-bread/

I normally use millit or teff instead of the rice flour.

I also really love her all-purpose mix http://silvanaskitchen.com/silvanas-...en-free-flour/

That I also use millet and sorgum instead if rice flour.

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

I have that book. If you can do dairy it is good.

I end up with cooking for Isaiah and Silvana's kitchen as my favorites because they are dairy free as well.
Yea, we used to be gluten AND dairy free, but have recently been able to reintroduce dairy.

I actually use Silvana's cookbook as my go to. I'm glad that you recommend the bread recipe. I've been meaning to try it.

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 PM ----------

Quote:
I will add the recipes I chose are A LOT lighter on starches than most GF recipes. I try to stick with mostly whole grains. The heavy reliance on starch in GF cooking is a real issue and has a negative impact on blood sugar.

You know, this has been a HUGE concern for me.... Before dd's diagnosis we have moved almost entirely to whole grains and away from starches and white flours. I have really felt that this gluten free thing has put up steps BACKWARDS in that regard.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
bananacake (10-01-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 05:09 PM   #7
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
Before dd's diagnosis we have moved almost entirely to whole grains and away from starches and white flours. I have really felt that this gluten free thing has put up steps BACKWARDS in that regard.
I feel the same. We were eating 100% real food, whole grain only before our allergy journey.

When I feel like I have time to play (ha maybe summer) i plan on playing with less starch in my bread.
2sunshines (10-01-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 05:16 PM   #8
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Subbing, but hoping for an egg free gluten free bread recipe. Maybe that's not possible.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:24 PM   #9
2sunshines

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post
Subbing, but hoping for an egg free gluten free bread recipe. Maybe that's not possible.
Yea, that's tough. Eggs is often the binder in the absence of gluten.

However, I would say not impossible. Have you searched paleo bread? I know that the paleo diet has a sub for eggs. Never looked in to it deeply since we never needed it.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
charla (10-01-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 05:58 PM   #10
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

Quote:
You know, this has been a HUGE concern for me.... Before dd's diagnosis we have moved almost entirely to whole grains and away from starches and white flours. I have really felt that this gluten free thing has put up steps BACKWARDS in that regard.
I can help Also, the bread I make is super easy to prep in mason jars. Put wet ingredients and yeast in. Dump in dry and go!

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

My baking mix:
http://oceanskater.blogspot.com/2009...aking-mix.html

Sometimes I sub 1/2 millet flour for part of the brown rice flour.

2sunshines (10-02-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 07:51 PM   #11
knitlove
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post
I have made the loaf I posted above with extra flax meal set up as an egg substitute. It was a little bit more dense but it was still really good. I don't think my family noticed the difference.
charla (10-01-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 02:08 AM   #12
2sunshines

Quote:
I can help Also, the bread I make is super easy to prep in mason jars. Put wet ingredients and yeast in. Dump in dry and go!

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

My baking mix:
http://oceanskater.blogspot.com/2009...aking-mix.html

Sometimes I sub 1/2 millet flour for part of the brown rice flour.
OK I am making that flour mix this morning. This is also what you would use in any recipe that calls for all purpose?
Old 10-02-2016, 05:23 AM   #13
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

Quote:
OK I am making that flour mix this morning. This is also what you would use in any recipe that calls for all purpose?

Yes. I've had some success using it in muffin and scone recipes that are not GF. Substituting it cup for cup.

2sunshines (10-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 10:07 AM   #14
2sunshines

I made a batch up this morning.

Sadly, the one flour I do not have one hand is oat flour. Do you have a 2nd fave bread recipe that doesn't use oat?
Old 10-02-2016, 10:33 AM   #15
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

This is a good egg free loaf
(Many of her gf recipes are vegan, so no dairy or eggs. I've had success with everything I've made of hers).

http://www.sarahbakesgfree.com/2014/...day-bread.html

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 PM ----------

Quote:
I made a batch up this morning.

Sadly, the one flour I do not have one hand is oat flour. Do you have a 2nd fave bread recipe that doesn't use oat?
You probably know this, but you can grind up oats in your coffee grinder to make oat flour

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
bananacake (10-02-2016), charla (10-02-2016)