Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:22 AM   #1
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cried even in my sleep last night

I really don't know why I had such an extreme reaction. I was at church and in the room I was in about 5 feet from me there were three teenagers talking about Adrian Peterson and they were defending him. They kept calling it a spanking so I asked if they had seen the pictures. They said no and I described what happened. I also stated that I don't agree with spanking but I don't judge those that do but this was not a spanking. One kind of rolled his eyes at me for interrupting and then said "now don't go getting offended about what I'm going to say. ". He then went on to defending hitting with a switch, blamed the boy for moving around during the hitting and said this is what black people do. I felt sadder and sadder listening to them but I didn't say anything. Then he said something like "anyone who was spanked as a kid knows it's fine" and continued on with the same babble about it's good for kids, I'm glad my parents spammed me etc. I said "I was spanked and I don't think it's ok" etc. he looked at me says "O-kaaaaaaay-y" and something else I don't remember that basically meant "no one asked you, now get lost". I apologized for butting in and left. I ended up bawling. I get mad when adults talk like that but I had hope that the next generation would be different. They aren't. I cried my eyes out telling my kids why I don't believe in hitting kids. They didn't know what to say lol I think I ruined the night. Then all night long I dreamed I was hanging out with the duggars and cried the whole time. I'm so weird.

I feel like it's hopeless. People who believe in hitting kids just have such a sad view of children even though I know they love them. I just can't stand it. If I hit your kid it's a crime, if you hit your kid it's a private family matter.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
LovingMummy (11-22-2014)
The Following 10 Users Say they are praying for Mother of Sons:
ArmsOfLove (09-19-2014), backtobasicsmum (09-18-2014), CelticJourney (09-18-2014), graciousmomma (09-18-2014), homesteadmama (09-24-2014), Rivendell Raven (09-18-2014), Snugglebugmom (09-23-2014), Virginia (09-24-2014), zak (09-29-2014), Zooey (09-18-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 07:50 AM   #2
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cried even in my sleep last night

Posted from my mobile phone by Tapatalk

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:09 AM   #3
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

Teenagers still have a lot of time to mature and change their thinking. And speaking with you might be what sparks change in coming years. I look back from the ripe old age of 35 and want to shake my teen self for some of my nutty views. Have hope for these kids
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
3PeasInAPod (09-19-2014), bentlaj11 (09-18-2014), FaithnPraise (09-18-2014), graciousmomma (09-18-2014), HadassahSukkot (09-19-2014), homesteadmama (09-24-2014), MercyInDisguise (09-19-2014), mommylove (10-07-2014), rjy9343 (09-22-2014), Virginia (09-24-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 08:29 AM   #4
ReadingMommy
Rose Trellis

ReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond repute

When I was a teen / before I was a parent, I remember spouting a pro-spanking opinion a few times myself. I was just parroting what I had learned from my parents, and never had any real contradictory perspectives given. Minds can change. Maybe you planted a seed so that they will remember that there are some Christians who don't believe you have to spank your kids.
Creative, Thinking Boy (04/2008)
Spunky Little Lady (08/2010)
Snuggle-bug Sweetie (09/2014)

ReadingMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ReadingMommy For This Useful Post:
FaithnPraise (09-18-2014), HadassahSukkot (09-19-2014), homesteadmama (09-24-2014), LikeQuietDreams (10-07-2014), marbles (09-24-2014), MaybeGracie (09-18-2014), MercyInDisguise (09-19-2014), mommylove (10-07-2014), Rivendell Raven (09-18-2014), Soliloquy (09-18-2014), Virginia (09-24-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 09:06 AM   #5
allisonintx
Rose Garden

Some Cal/Mag will probably fix that.

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute

peace for your heart and growth in wisdom for theirs.

As a teenager, I would wish aloud that my mother would have spanked me. She didn't. She did, however, utilize shame like a weapon of mass destruction. I couldn't articulate at the time why I thought it was wrong or why I thought spanking would have been better.

I would have been an articulate kid and could easily have made someone trying to make a counterpoint cry.

Praise God that in His mercy, He showed me so many more tools in the years between then and now.

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen
Mother to Elizabeth 19, Andrew 17, Abigail 14 & Evelyn 12

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

allisonintx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allisonintx For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (09-18-2014), Tasmanian Saint (10-10-2014), Victorious (09-21-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 09:54 AM   #6
Elyse221
Rose Bush

Elyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to behold

I think for teens and even many adults, it's just easier to rationalize what happened to you than to confront your past. It *has* to be okay to spank/switch/whatever a child because it would be too painful and take to much work to consider otherwise. I'm not sure what makes some people willing and able to do that work and not others, but I'm so thankful to have changed my views since I was a teen.

But that would have totally tore me up to witness that conversation too.

Wife to my highschool sweetheart

Mommy to:
V-age 6
M -age 3.5
Elyse221 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elyse221 For This Useful Post:
rjy9343 (09-22-2014), Soliloquy (09-18-2014), Virginia (09-24-2014), Zooey (09-18-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 10:12 AM   #7
Allison
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Allison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry, mama. At least you spoke up, though. I probably would have shuddered and walked away.

I was pro-spanking up until the first time I thought I might need to spank my son for a misbehavior. Then, I just couldn't do it. It seemed so barbaric.

You've given those teens something to think about, even if they aren't receptive to it now.

Allison
Blessed mother of my three sons:
22, 20, 18

Grateful for GCM since 2004
Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Allison For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (09-18-2014), FaithnPraise (09-19-2014), joyinthejourney (09-29-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 11:00 AM   #8
gdzprncess
Rose Bouquet

Pressing towards the mark

gdzprncess has a brilliant futuregdzprncess has a brilliant futuregdzprncess has a brilliant futuregdzprncess has a brilliant futuregdzprncess has a brilliant futuregdzprncess has a brilliant futuregdzprncess has a brilliant futuregdzprncess has a brilliant futuregdzprncess has a brilliant futuregdzprncess has a brilliant futuregdzprncess has a brilliant future

I agree. I think planting a seed is very worth it. I was pro spanking and I only got hit a handful of times as a child. Most people respond to new info with distrust, especially if it challenges a deeply held belief

Semi-crunchy
Usually mobile - please excuse brief, possibly misspelled posts

DYT 3/2, INF(T?)P formerly J
Saved by faith through grace

gdzprncess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gdzprncess For This Useful Post:
mommychem (09-18-2014), rjy9343 (09-22-2014), Zooey (09-21-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 12:20 PM   #9
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

jenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond repute

I may have seen this script for such encounters here:

"Well, I was spanked and I turned out just fine."

"No, you didn't. You think hitting kids is OK."
Wife to John, December 18, 1999 ~ Mother to Sophia, March 13, 2004 ~ Mother to Eva, June 10, 2006 ~ Mother to Matthew, December 21, 2009 ~ Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will lift me up.
jenny_islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to jenny_islander For This Useful Post:
BlissfullyEsther (09-22-2014), FarmMama (09-18-2014), HadassahSukkot (09-19-2014), homesteadmama (09-24-2014), joyinthejourney (09-29-2014), melliethepooh (09-18-2014), MercyInDisguise (09-19-2014), rjy9343 (09-22-2014), Snugglebugmom (09-23-2014), Soliloquy (09-18-2014), Tasmanian Saint (10-10-2014), Virginia (09-24-2014), Zooey (09-18-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 12:22 PM   #10
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

I think I was probably most pro-spanking when I was a teenager. You're witnessing how culture gets passed through the generations. People love their parents and it's hard to face that their parents would cause them pain when they didn't need to. For all their counter-cultural reputation, teens can have a strongly conformist streak to them.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThreeKids For This Useful Post:
Elyse221 (09-19-2014), LearningMama (09-24-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 04:01 PM   #11
saturnfire16
Rose Garden

saturnfire16 has disabled reputation

You planted a seed. Those teenagers might have their own kids in 5 or 10 years, and they might remember that you are someone they can go to for different advice than their parents are giving.

I would have said the same things as a teen, but things change when you actually have kids.

Wife to D
Mama to:
E 12/05
L 7/08
Z 12/10
A 6/14
and J in heaven 2/10

Torah Keeping, Unschooling Family

My blog on unschooling and family life: Peace On Dark Nights.
saturnfire16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to saturnfire16 For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (09-19-2014), HadassahSukkot (09-19-2014), Hermana Linda (09-18-2014), homesteadmama (09-24-2014), Leslie (09-20-2014), mommychem (09-19-2014), Soliloquy (09-18-2014), Zooey (09-18-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 04:13 PM   #12
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Nodding along with what everyone else posted. The hardest part of that situation is that it WASN'T spanking, it was far worse.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:44 AM   #13
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

I was talking with my mom about the Matt Walsh blog comments on Facebook - so many exactly like what the teenagers you overheard were saying - and I was saying that even if you believe that spanking is required, necessary, it should be something that turns your stomach and that you never want to do. The way people defend it, and take pleasure in it, and laugh about it, and mock those who don't . . . I will never understand it It is truly evidence of how broken humanity is
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
Hermana Linda (09-19-2014), LearningMama (09-24-2014), mom23sons (10-27-2014), mommychem (09-19-2014), rjy9343 (09-22-2014), saturnfire16 (09-19-2014), Tasmanian Saint (10-10-2014), Zooey (09-21-2014)
Old 09-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #14
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I could tell my teenage self to just shut up already, there is no reason for people see your ignorance.
People like you planted and watered seeds that caused me to gently parent my daughter. People like you are the reason Ivy does not get spanked or punished. Words like yours made me look for a better way. Even if those kids did not hear it now, they will later when they have an actual child. Theoretical children are light years from the children you have.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
graciousmomma (09-22-2014), homesteadmama (09-24-2014), LearningMama (09-24-2014), MegMarch (09-22-2014), ReadingMommy (09-22-2014), saturnfire16 (09-23-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #15
Psyche
Rose Garden

Srsly?

Psyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond repute

working full time, wife to Jason since '02, mom to C 12 years old, J 9 years old , and T 6 years old , mouse catching, Izzy, and rabbit chasing, Ellie.
Psyche is offline   Reply With Quote