Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Soups *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 02:13 PM   #1
Mothering by Heart
Deactivated

Mothering by Heart is on a distinguished road
Default Soups

Share your soup recipes here

Please note our copyright guidelines for recipes:

Since a list of ingredients is not copyrighted, but the directions may be (depending on if they are creative or not), when you post recipes that you got from a book or elsewhere, please write the directions in your own words, adding your own special recipe tips and colorful descriptions, etc. Thank you!

Old 03-19-2005, 10:27 AM   #2
Allison
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Allison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vegetable soup

To make homemade veggie soup, I put one quart of water in a pot and disolve 2 beef bouillon cubes in it. (You can use chicken or vegetable broth or bouillon cubes also.) It actually might taste better with 3-4 bouillon cubes, but I"ve never tried it. I boil some type of pasta (bowties today. Shells or macaroni or even rice would be great). I put some frozen veggies (Pictsweet's veggies for soup (lima beans, tomato, onion, potato, celery, green beans and corn) in the pot, add the pasta when it's just al dente and let it all simmer for about 20 minutes. It's great with the Simple Whole Wheat bread I posted.

Allison
Blessed mother of my three sons:
22, 20, 18

Grateful for GCM since 2004
Old 03-19-2005, 09:15 PM   #3
kris10s
Deactivated

kris10s is on a distinguished road
Default Tomato Basil Soup

TOMATO BASIL SOUP
1 1/2 c. Vidalia (sweet) onions, diced
10-15 basil leaves, chopped
2 T. garlic, chopped
1 28 oz can of whole tomatos
2 28 oz cans of diced tomatos
1/8 c. sugar
salt
ground pepper
2 c. reduced fat milk or cream

Saute onions, basil and garlic in the bottom of the pot (sprayed with non-stick spray or in a bit of olive oil). Process whole tomatos in blender or food processor for 10 seconds, set aside. When onions are soft, add all the tomatos and sugar. Simmer on low for 2 hours. Season with salt and pepper, add the milk or cream and heat through. Vary the taste* by adding red pepper flakes, frozen chopped spinach (thawed and drained) sauted with the onions or add mozzarella cheese and garlic croutons before serving.

* We have never tried the red pepper flakes or spinach, but we always add about a half a cup of parmesean cheese to the soup and serve with mozzarella and croutons.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:19 PM   #4
kris10s
Deactivated

kris10s is on a distinguished road
Default "Fake it, Don't Make it" Italian Soup

Italian Soup, "Fake it, Don't Make it"* style

In a pot combine, and bring to a boil
8 cups of Chicken Broth (two cartons)
1 can of herb diced tomatoes (different names for different brands, whatever sounds like its seasoned Italian style will do)
1/2 box of frozen spinach (I use chopped)
2-3 cloves of garlic

After the soup is boiling, add and cook until warm
1 bag frozen cheese tortellini

Serve with parmesan cheese.

(* title inspired by Real Simple Magazine)
Old 03-19-2005, 09:47 PM   #5
Abinsmom
Climbing Rose

Abinsmom has a spectacular aura aboutAbinsmom has a spectacular aura aboutAbinsmom has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Soups

(Disclaimer: This is a recipe I got from someone on this board about 3 years ago and I can't remember who it was! It is fabulous, and I'm posting it because it is so easy for busy moms, is easily made vegetarian, and is simply delicious!).
-----------------------------------

Tex-Mex Soup (8 servings, 1 ½ cups each)

1 lb. lean ground turkey
1 pkg (1.25-oz) taco seasoning mix
1 pkg (1-oz) ranch dressing mix
1 15-oz can black beans
½ of a 15-oz can corn
1 15.5-oz can great northern beans (or white beans if you can’t find great northern)
1 15.5-oz can pinto beans
1 16-oz can chicken broth
1 14.5-oz can tomatoes with chiles
1 14.5-oz can stewed tomatoes

Stovetop method: Brown meat and drain fat. Add seasoning mixes. Drain and rinse canned beans. Add to turkey. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Serve hot.

Crockpot method (preferred): Brown meat and add seasonings. Drain and rinse beans, then add all ingredients to crock pot, mixing thoroughly. Cook on low all day.

Vegetarian version: Omit turkey and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. Mix all ingredients together in crock pot and cook on low all day.

Serve with corn bread or tortillas, rice (brown rice is our favorite!), and garnish with guacamole, sour cream, or crushed tortilla chips. Freezes well, also!

DC (um, that's dear canine) born 5/3/98
DRC (dear rescued canine) born 6/10/99
Old 03-21-2005, 01:04 PM   #6
Radosny Matka
Rose Garden

I am so blessed!

Radosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond repute

Corn Chowder

Ingredients:
2 cans chicken broth
2 cans creamed corn
5 celery stalks
5-6 carrots
1 large potato
1/2 onion
1 bag frozen corn
1 QT Half and Half (I use the fat free because it is much healthier and you can't tell the difference. You can use regular or light if you wished.)
salt, pepper, and parsley to taste
cornstarch for thickening

Directions:
Peel and chop veggies. Saute the onion in a little butter until tender. Add the chicken broth, creamed corn, and all the veggies to the pan. Season with salt, pepper, and parsley. Turn heat to high and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until veggies are tender, stirring occasionally.

Add the half and half and the frozen corn. Bring heat back up to high until boiling. Correct seasoning if necessary. Reduce heat and simmer about 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionaly, to allow flavors to mix.

Thicken with cornstarch and milk.

Enjoy!

Remembering our babies: 12/98 9/99 12/09 1/17
Old 03-21-2005, 04:16 PM   #7
bunbunmama

Default DH's favorite vegetable soup

Okay, so it's really the only vegetable soup he'll eat....but that still qualifies it as his favorite, right? Good for those who need a gluten free diet, I would think it would be good made completely vegetarian by omitting the meat and substituting vegetable broth for at least part of the water. The measurements are approximate, as I usually just throw in whatever I have on hand. The key is having enough tomato and enough salt....taste near the end of the cooking process and add more as needed.

Prep time: approx. 15-20 minutes Cook time: 2 hours

Ingredients:
1 pound stew meat (ground hamburger would probably be okay, too)
1 large onion, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
6-8 cups water (guessing - I just pour it from my Brita pitcher!)
2 cups pearled barley
2-3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1-2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut up (can substitute frozen, if necessary, but add later, with the beans and corn)
1 large can (15 oz.?) diced or whole tomatoes (can substitute crushed, puree, or even paste if necessary)
1 can green beans, drained (or 1/2 bag frozen)
1 can corn (or 1/2 bag frozen)
parsley, salt, pepper (and any other spices you like!)

In a large pan, saute meat (seasoned with salt and pepper), onions, and celery in a few tablespoons of olive oil until meat is well-browned (10-15 minutes, usually). Add the water and bring to a boil, meanwhile prepare the potatoes and carrots. When boiling, add the barley, carrots, and potatoes. Let cook for about 30 minutes, then add the rest of the ingredients, including the parsley and some more salt. Let cook for approximately an hour more - it is done when the barley, carrots and potatoes are soft enough to eat.

If you like, you can substitute some sort of pasta (I like alphabets) for part or all of the barley. If you choose to do this, wait until about a half hour after you add the corn, beans, etc. and cook for 20-30 minutes longer. Happy eating!!

Old 04-23-2005, 08:50 PM   #8
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.dvo.com/recipes_archive/carrot_chowder.html

This is for carrot chowder. DELICIOUS! Serve with sour cream, grated chedder, oyster crackers, and Tabasco sauce.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:52 PM   #9
sarahandmadelinesm

I love french onion soup, here is the recipe I use I just dump things in, and don't really measure anything, and it turns out great, as long as you like onion soup

2 cans beef broth (can sub veggie broth or use homemade)
2 cups chicken broth (I use homemade, but you could use the canned stuff)
5 vidalia onions (I really like vidallias, but yellow works well, too), sliced into thin rings
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon flour
hommade whole wheat or sourdough bread
swiss cheese
olive oil

Pour some olive oil into the bottom of a dutch oven or soup pot. (I just dump it in, maybe about 2T?. Saute the onions and garlic until transparent. add in the flour and stir til the onions are coated. add the broth, cover and simmer for at least 45 minutes--this can cook for longer, if needed, just keep an eye on the broth level)

To serve--pour the soup into bowls, add a thick slice of bread and top with swiss cheese. If you want to be fancy, you can pop these under the broiler, but I usually just let them sit for a minute or two to melt the cheese. I serve thsi with a nice salad (often a spinach/mixed grens with blue cheese, pecans, and apple bits), and the remainer of the bread I sliced for the soup tops. My kids will both eat this, though I take it easy on the bread abd cheese for them, to make it easier to eay.

Old 05-02-2005, 07:26 PM   #10
jujubnme
Rose Garden

Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness. (James 3:18)

jujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond repute

I just made this Winter Vegetable Soup tonight. I know it's Spring, but I've really been craving a squash soup, since none of my local grocery stores carry the Walnut Acres Autumn Harvest soup any more. This is a butternut squash soup with sweet potatoes, turnip, carrot and apple in it. It's sweet and tangy and satisfying. I highly recommend the recipe. I doubled it, since the original recipe would have leftover half of a turnip, butternut squash, sweet potato and apple. :/

wife to my awesome dh since 8/2000 - mom to my sweet jujube ds since 9/2001
all INFPs, living in harmonious chaos.

GLORY be to God for dappled things---
All things counter, original, spare, strange;
Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change:
Praise him.

GERARD MANLY HOPKINS

Old 06-08-2005, 06:12 PM   #11
Nancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abinsmom

Tex-Mex Soup (8 servings, 1 ½ cups each)

I just wanted to let you know I made this today because I was running around and everyone was going to be needing supper at a different time due to all sorts of different commitments......and it was WONDERFUL!!! Everyone loved it! Thanks so much for posting it.

Old 07-03-2005, 04:55 PM   #12
Lantern Light Mama
Deactivated
I support GCM!

A.K.A. joyinthspirit

Lantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond repute

Leek soup

about four leeks washed, cut into fine rings.
about 1 lb or less cooked and drained hamburger meat
two packs of leek soup mix.
peeled and quatered potatoes
sour cream or cream cheese or Smetlzecase (if you can find it)
milk

Wash, and cut your leeks into fine rings. Sautee until soft and set aside.
Cook hamburger meat into crumbs
wash, peel, and cut potatoes into about 1/2 inch cubes. Boil until tender.

Now prepare the leek soup mix according to the directions. Add your leeks, meat, and potatoes. Then add either your sour cream, cream cheese or smetzlecase. We used cream cheese because you cant buy Smetlzecase here...it is a soft spreadable white cheese used in Germany.

add salt and pepper to taste.

You can do this without meat too! We eat it with Garlic Bread and salad.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:22 AM   #13
raquel

Spicy Soybean Soup

This is really delish! Especially if you like veggie soup and a bit of spice. Mmmm....I really could go some more of this about now.

Ingredients:

2-3 strips of bacon, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1-2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 qt cooked tomatoes or tomato juice (depends on the consistency you like)
2 cups cooked soybeans (approx 1-2 cans)
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1/2-1 tsp basil
any extra herbs or seasonings you might like

Fry the bacon and drain off any excess fat. Add onions, garlic, celery, carrot and saute. Add the rest of the ingredients. Bring to the boil and then simmer until carrots are soft. Approx 15-30 min.

Alternatives are: Use different beans. AND/OR use soaked uncooked beans and cook slowly for 3 hours. You may need more liquid and you add the bacon 1/2 hr before serving rather than first.

Old 10-05-2005, 04:08 PM   #14
Littledisciples
Rose Garden

My sweet girls who have given me strength to endure

Littledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond repute

I know someone else added Corn Chowder but My recipie is diffrent I made it up myself so no need to worry of copyright LOL

Wonderful Corn Chowder

Take 6-7 ears of corn (fresh is best)
1 onion
2 potatoes cut up as if for frying in cubes
Water
Half and Half
Chicken Bullion Desired Amount
Bacon
Flour

1st Cut the corn off the cob and put in pan.
2nd Cut up onion and add to corn in pan
3rd Cut up the potato and put in pan too. (Leave skin on for more nutrients)
Add Chicken Bullion as much to taste.
Add water enough to boil the ingredients

(Flour and milk mixture)
In a sauce pan fry bacon, remove it to drain on a plate with paper towel under it.
Save bacon grease and add enough flour to mix with grease and make thick, Then add half and half and mix the lumps out tell smooth then ladle out some water from your other pot its okay if a little corn or potato is in it. Add tell you get it about the consistency of gravy. Thinner if you like thin chowder.

Also crumble Bacon (a little food processor is nice for this)

Then take the pot of corn and potato and using a colander drain half of the water Then take the flour and milk mixture and add to the pot along with the crumbled bacon. Stir it up good and if you want it thicker try heating it a bit more on low or Medium as it can burn rather easy. Serve with bread and butter or crackers.

Healthier Version
After draining it half way ,Just pour Skim Milk in the pan and instead of thickening it with the flour and milk mixture Just mix a little cornstarch and cold water in a cup and then add that to the pan of chowder.

Also add mixed veggies to the pot for a variation and instead of bacon try lean turkey ham.

Mom of Kayla 2000, Katie 2001 and Kira 2004
Step Mom of B girl 1995, S girl 1998, J boy 2001, J girl 2002, M girl 2002, K girl 2003, S girl 2004

Grandma to J Dec 2014, J May 2017, G November 2018

Sometimes our life is crazy but I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

Resting with Jesus Seth, Mercy, Love, Serenity, Hope, Whisper and Clare bear
Old 10-05-2005, 04:18 PM   #15
Littledisciples
Rose Garden

My sweet girls who have given me strength to endure

Littledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond repute

Ok here I will give you my potato soup recipie

Here it goes Idaho Potato Soup

Potatos about 6-7 depends on the family
Onion 1
two cloves of garlic or more
celery
bacon
carrots optional
flour
half and half

1st wash potatoes leave skin on and just cube them up throw them in a pan
then add onion, celery, garlic if desired carrots and boil (do not overcook the taters)

Then fry bacon in another pan. Save grease
Then add flour to grease about a tablespoon or so and then add half and half to that. Make it as thick as you like. Crumble bacon and add to the milk and flour mixture.
Then take potatoes and drain them half way or little over half. Then add that milk mixture to your taters and you got soup.

Serve with grilled cheese for great dinner combo or homade rolls. Either way you got dinner.

Mom of Kayla 2000, Katie 2001 and Kira 2004
Step Mom of B girl 1995, S girl 1998, J boy 2001, J girl 2002, M girl 2002, K girl 2003, S girl 2004

Grandma to J Dec 2014, J May 2017, G November 2018

Sometimes our life is crazy but I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

Resting with Jesus Seth, Mercy, Love, Serenity, Hope, Whisper and Clare bear
Closed Thread