Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #16
SubarbanHippie

Default Re: spanking babies???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle On A Cloud View Post
The Pearls *do* advocate this, do they not? Are there any links that actually say this? Someone online is asking, and I can't find anything...but I was sure I had heard that before
Don't the Pearls also advocate yanking a baby's hair for hurting the mother's nipples during breastfeeding in TTUAC?
Old 04-19-2012, 11:44 PM   #17
Amythestmama
Rose Garden

Amythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJacks View Post
Don't the Pearls also advocate yanking a baby's hair for hurting the mother's nipples during breastfeeding in TTUAC?
Yes. If they baby bites or chops or whatever, you say "NO!" and pull their hair. Its part of the training "no=pain" so they will learn early that 'no' should equal the same jerking back as say touching a hot burner. No equals pain so if you say no, they won't even reach b/c of that fear of pain.
Oh, and if the baby is bald, you should pinch their ear.Of all the ridiculous things.
Zooey (04-24-2012)
Old 04-20-2012, 03:05 AM   #18
bec28
Rose Garden

bec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
At four months she was too unknowing to be punished for disobedience.
But she can still be hit with a switch? It’s just semantics.
this part??? Isnt this saying that the book says a 4 month old should not be punished???
Sorry, I should have explained what the link was too. I posted just as I was going to bed last night the link was too a review of the book so it had quotes and then someone's commentary, maybe even a gcm'er? I think Hermana Linda linked to her quotes page early in the thread which is probably better
staying at home and loving it! learning to be a more grace filled, gentle mama
bec28 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bec28 For This Useful Post:
Castle On A Cloud (04-20-2012), Zooey (04-24-2012)
Old 04-20-2012, 06:42 AM   #19
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermana Linda View Post
The important thing is to distinguish between spanking and training. The Pearls use this kind of doublespeak. They do not advocate spanking babies because they are too young to be punished. They advocate training babies. Now, to the untrained eye, they look exactly the same, striking flesh with a switch. But the important thing is the motive. Also, the consistency. So, once you read his book, he will explain it with his good 'ole boy, down home humor and it will all make sense. Anyway, this is why Pearl followers claim that he doesn't teach spanking babies when he clearly teaches switching them.
Yes, because clearly what matters to a 4-month-old is what your motive is, not whether they feel any pain or what actually happens to them. What are kids who are "trained" from 4 months old like? I would think they'd be afraid to blink.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
ChristmasGirl (04-25-2012), katiekind (04-20-2012), momyshaver (04-25-2012), Zooey (04-24-2012)
Old 04-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #20
Castle On A Cloud
Deactivated

Castle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond repute

so, you ladies are awesome
since this is a public forum, am I allowed to copy and paste responses or the link to the thread on FB?
Castle On A Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #21
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec28 View Post
Sorry, I should have explained what the link was too. I posted just as I was going to bed last night the link was too a review of the book so it had quotes and then someone's commentary, maybe even a gcm'er? I think Hermana Linda linked to her quotes page early in the thread which is probably better
Yes, she is a GCM'er And that is part of my earliest webpages.

Quote:
so, you ladies are awesome
since this is a public forum, am I allowed to copy and paste responses or the link to the thread on FB?
You may not cut and paste, but you may link to the thread.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
Castle On A Cloud (04-20-2012), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (04-22-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 01:34 AM   #22
Zooey
Rose Trellis

Zooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermana Linda View Post
The important thing is to distinguish between spanking and training. The Pearls use this kind of doublespeak. They do not advocate spanking babies because they are too young to be punished. They advocate training babies. Now, to the untrained eye, they look exactly the same, striking flesh with a switch. But the important thing is the motive. Also, the consistency. So, once you read his book, he will explain it with his good 'ole boy, down home humor and it will all make sense. Anyway, this is why Pearl followers claim that he doesn't teach spanking babies when he clearly teaches switching them.
This was one of the most appalling things I have found about the Pearls, that they are hitting babies, but they say they aren't spanking because they call it something else.

---------- Post added at 04:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
Yes, because clearly what matters to a 4-month-old is what your motive is, not whether they feel any pain or what actually happens to them. What are kids who are "trained" from 4 months old like? I would think they'd be afraid to blink.
I think they are probably emotionally damaged for life.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:15 AM   #23
Tasmanian Saint
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Go Team Lioness!

Tasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What are kids who are "trained" from 4 months old like?
Here's one example from HLinda's site:
http://whynottrainachild.com/2011/11...arl-parenting/
Myth Busting over at Dare to Disciple
"Believe in yourself. Trust your instincts. Unless your instincts are terrible." Vitruvius, The LEGO Movie.
Tasmanian Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:00 AM   #24
hey mommy
Rose Garden

I am so hopelessly in love..

hey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond repute

Wow.. Did you know those videos aren't available on youtube if you have safety mode on? Umm, okay. That's disturbing.

Janice (ISFP), single-mommy to Cias(11) Samuel( 4) and 2 babies in heaven

Scully: You know, there is life on this planet.
Mulder: I've seen the life on this planet, Scully, that's why I'm looking elsewhere.

A

Check out my NEW facebook page.
I am now a Plexus Ambassador.
hey mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hey mommy For This Useful Post:
Castle On A Cloud (04-25-2012), Tasmanian Saint (04-25-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 09:00 AM   #25
Castle On A Cloud
Deactivated

Castle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey mommy View Post
Wow.. Did you know those videos aren't available on youtube if you have safety mode on? Umm, okay. That's disturbing.
that says alot. what videos are they?
Castle On A Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #26
hey mommy
Rose Garden

hey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond repute

The Preparing to be his helpmeet video that Hermana Linda has on her website. The one in the link posted just above us.

---------- Post added at 09:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasmanian Saint View Post
Here's one example from HLinda's site:
http://whynottrainachild.com/2011/11...arl-parenting/
Okay, the video in this link.

Mulder: I've seen the life on this planet, Scully, that's why I'm looking elsewhere.

A

Old 04-25-2012, 09:32 AM   #27
SamRose
Rose Garden

I <3 these cuties!

SamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond repute

That video is so sad. Notice how she says to specify blow instead of spit because that sounds nasty? Kind of like saying train instead of hit.
Her husband got himself a "well trained" wife if she can use semantics to allow herself to be spat on 1/2 an hour into the marriage in front of a crowd.
SamRose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SamRose For This Useful Post:
hey mommy (04-25-2012), Zooey (04-25-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #28
Christina+5
Rose Bouquet

I really do love my kiddos!

Christina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud of

On the "no greater joy" page, they talk about smacking a six month old on the hand if the child looks like he is going to throw his food on the floor to "Train" him not to do it. But the post really emphasizes the fact that they are not promoting punishment since the child is too young for that. They don't believe in chastizing a baby...just training.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #29
nessnco
Rose Bush

You are loved.

nessnco is a jewel in the roughnessnco is a jewel in the roughnessnco is a jewel in the roughnessnco is a jewel in the rough

I knew someone who smacked her 6 week old because he rolled off his nappy. (This was when my kids were small so a long time ago). Still haunts me though, have often wondered how long it was till he rolled again.

Mother of:4 grown children DD1 (born 88), DD2 (born 90), DD3 (born 92) and DS (born 94). DD has my first gandson (born 18)..

nessnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #30
hey mommy
Rose Garden

My cousin smacked her 10 month old because he wouldn't bend his knees to sit on her lap. She was trying to get him to take a nap(which he wasn't ready for, she just didn't want us to hold him. It was a control thing), and she kept snapping at him 'bend your knees!" and smacking his legs when he didn't. It was horrifying to sit and watch.

A