Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #211
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: D. R. P. T. ! (dietary revamp processing thread ;) )

Rodale's Natural Foods Cookbook is awesome for figuring out how to cook strange things that our CSA sends in our baskets

We inherited our copy from my MIL

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BarefootBetsy For This Useful Post:
Amy (05-09-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #212
LearningMama
Rose Trellis

LearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to Cruncymum's pictures I think I ready to consider thinking about trying Paleo.

I just returned Paleo Comfortfood to the library and now I have The Paleo Solution to look through.

My DH needs to gain weight and I would like to loose a few more pounds. Would this diet help both of us reach our goals? (basically convince me this won't make me fat )
Welcome Baby "YoYo" !! January 2014
Keeper of one grey cat Liz

...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40
LearningMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LearningMama For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (05-09-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #213
LilacPhoenix
Rose Garden

E's newborn feet; G's 3-yr-old feet

LilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond repute

For the first time in a while, I feel really good about what I ate today

INFPs are a FiNe SiTe to behold!
DYT 1/2
My recipe blog! Recipes

"I need to live life like some people never will... To ride the wings of dreams into changing horizons." Dream Theater
LilacPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #214
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
(basically convince me this won't make me fat )
It won't make you fat! I really don't know the how or why but It doesn't!
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (05-09-2012), LearningMama (05-09-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #215
Amy
Rose Trellis

chocolate distraction

Amy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond repute

You know, it's odd, but after not eating out since Friday I just have no desire to eat out. I don't know if it's my research into the ingredients that go into our food supply or if I've passed that time frame of withdrawing from those cravings, but I have no desire for it anymore.
ds2 (4/11)
Married to (since 12/97)

No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of anyone who isn't trying." ~ unknown
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #216
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearningMama View Post
My DH needs to gain weight and I would like to loose a few more pounds. Would this diet help both of us reach our goals? (basically convince me this won't make me fat )
I am assuming GAPs and Paleo/Primal have this in common but most people find GAPs to be a "regulating diet". That is, it will regulate your weight to healthy.

My eldest was overweight when we started GAPS - due to stomach problems and inflamation -- she was always a healthy eater but lost A LOT of water retention particularly in her face and stomach. Since being on GAPS she has grown almost 6 inches and not gained a pound People see her and gasp because she looks totally different

My youngest was underweight and went from boney to nice and healthy looking. I used to fear stomach bugs because the child had NOTHING to lose and looked painfully thin when without clothes. now she has beefed up.

As for the rest of us, we look healthier but none of us had weight to lose or gain If you read articles about eat fat/lose fat, you will be fascinated. We've been on a very high fat diet for over a decade (Traditional Foods) and we found within a few years we were at our ideal weight. But we still had health problems so . . . . that's how we got here to this "diet"

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
euromom (05-11-2012), HadassahSukkot (05-10-2012), LearningMama (05-09-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #217
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

All Chick Fil A chicken has MSG, I've been told. And I think they fry in peanut oil, but I could be wrong on both things.

Also, for those wanting to be strict, peanuts and cocoa are legumes, so technically not allowed on paleo. They are GAPS legal for those who can digest them.

Jodi, everyone is thrilled that Simon is allergic to pork. We hadn't eaten pork in years, either, but I bought a small amount just for variety. We all hated it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #218
mamahammer
Deactivated

There must be beaches in heaven

mamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond repute

Ours has a sign that they no longer use peanut oil b/c of the prevalence of peanut allergy. I think they are using canola oil now.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2
mamahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #219
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother of Sons View Post
It won't make you fat! I really don't know the how or why but It doesn't!
If you cut out grains/sugar you will not gain weight - even with eating more dietary fat than you used to. Fat makes you FULL so you would have to intentionally overeat all the time (to the point of stomach discomfort) to gain weight on paleo/primal. It's real foods, not processed foods. I have to work hard to gain weight while pg when eating this way, even though I effortlessly packed on pg lbs with DS and DD's pregnancy eating a 'healthy lifestyle' but with grains/sugars in my diet.
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
LearningMama (05-11-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #220
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

The grilled chicken isn't soaked in milk at CFA. Actaully... I wouldn't call any of it "soaked" in milk, but the breaded chicken is dipped in a milk bath before it is breaded (to make the breading stick.) It is in there for a few seconds. The grilled chicken skips that step since it isn't needed.

(I was a manager at CFA in college.)

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Punkie For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (05-10-2012), Elora (05-12-2012), euromom (05-11-2012), LearningMama (05-11-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #221
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamahammer View Post
Ours has a sign that they no longer use peanut oil b/c of the prevalence of peanut allergy. I think they are using canola oil now.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2
Eww, even worse.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #222
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

The safest fast food places for getting real food are Qdoba & Chipotle. Both use soy oil, though,iirc.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (05-10-2012), Elora (05-12-2012), euromom (05-11-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #223
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaM View Post
The safest fast food places for getting real food are Qdoba & Chipotle. Both use soy oil, though,iirc.

At Chipotle, everything is dairy free except for the dairy products (cheese and sour cream.)

...or at least that was the case the last time I checked.

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #224
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

fyi, when something says "natural flavours" it often includes MSG.

My friend found this out when she was giving her little boy some herbal tea and it was making him crazy. She researched "natural flavours" in this tea's ingredients and there it was. made him restless and he didn't sleep.
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:33 AM   #225
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiina View Post
fyi, when something says "natural flavours" it often includes MSG.

My friend found this out when she was giving her little boy some herbal tea and it was making him crazy. She researched "natural flavours" in this tea's ingredients and there it was. made him restless and he didn't sleep.

"yeast extract" also has msg as does anything that has "hydrolyzed xyz" (anything hydrolyzed). They are even allowed to use those in certified organic ingredients because they're not adding MSG, but as yeast or other food is hydrolyzed, msg is released as a by-product.

Kind of like formaldehyde in soap and shampoo.

The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Stiina (05-11-2012)