Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 05-14-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
Petie
Climbing Rose

Petie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pet Peeve #5 by my own mom

I should have seen this coming. I mean I was raised with this. So here is the scenario...

Mom---Lala will you please pick up your shoes and put them away
Lala---not right now
Mom---Lala I asked you to please pick up your shoes
Lala---Yes, and I said not right now
Mom---Lala, if you do not pick up your shoes then I'll throw them out
Lala----(obligingly picks up her shoes)
Mom---Now why did I have to threaten to get you to do what I asked?

At this point I stepped in. I really understood what Lala was doing and I figured Mom would figure this out, she didn't. OK so pet peeve of mine, don't make a request unless it is a REQUEST. If it REQUIRED then simply state it. Now don't get me wrong, I use please, thank you, etc with my kids when they are called for, but when it is a requirement, I don't ask, I state. Here's how it WOULD HAVE happened had it been me...

Me--Lala, pick up your shoes and put them away
Lala---yes, ma'am
Me---thank you

If she did say no, then I would have told her the probable consequence, but chances are, for something like that, she would have just done it. I explained this to mom and of course got the typical line I got as a child....

"if an authority asks politely it is the same thing as being told"

Sorry, but last job I had, if it was optional, it was a please. If she was asking for volunteers it was a please. But she never said, "OK well, would you all please clean up the kitchen, we have an inspection tomorrow?" Ummm, no, it was, "there is an inspection tomorrow and the kitchen needs to be cleaned. Thank you."

Am I completely insane? I mean, should Lala see this a request as a requirement?
Lala 11
Simon 8
Petie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Petie For This Useful Post:
BeckaBlue (05-15-2012), dulce de leche (05-15-2012), PrincessAnika (05-15-2012), Teacher Mom (05-16-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
Abibigail
Rose Garden

Abby-bigail! Not a-BIB-igail. :)

Abibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeve #5 by my own mom

Not insane. ITA w/you.
Single Mama to E, 12/06, and L, 07/08!

Never grow a wishbone, daughter, where your backbone ought to be.
--Clementine Paddleford
Abibigail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abibigail For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (05-15-2012), Petie (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

That is why the 5 Steps are worded as they are

some children are able to be easily taught that please doesn't make it optional and I know that's important to some parents, when they are the parents and children together that is fine When the children aren't reading the same playbook then it gets tricky

IME when I get resistance I just stop and apologize for miscommunicating--then I explain that they need to do whatever and they do.
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (05-15-2012), dulce de leche (05-15-2012), MomtoJGJ (05-15-2012), Petie (05-15-2012), PrincessAnika (05-15-2012), Tandem mama (05-17-2012), Teacher Mom (05-16-2012), TenderLovingWillow (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 03:21 AM   #4
Tasmanian Saint
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Go Team Lioness!

Tasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"if an authority asks politely it is the same thing as being told"
Then how does an authority say something when it *is* optional? Surely it happens sometimes...?
Myth Busting over at Dare to Disciple
"Believe in yourself. Trust your instincts. Unless your instincts are terrible." Vitruvius, The LEGO Movie.
Tasmanian Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tasmanian Saint For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (05-15-2012), BeckaBlue (05-15-2012), dulce de leche (05-15-2012), EnglishRose (05-18-2012), knitlove (05-18-2012), Lily (05-17-2012), magpiedpiper (05-15-2012), Petie (05-15-2012), PrincessAnika (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasmanian Saint View Post
Then how does an authority say something when it *is* optional? Surely it happens sometimes...?
I think that the mindset is that there is not an option when the authority speaks. Please or whatever is just being polite, but it does not mean that there is a choice in obeying.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
justbreathe (05-15-2012), Petie (05-15-2012), PrincessAnika (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
justbreathe
Deactivated

Grumpy kitten is watching you

justbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond repute

I have this same conversation all.the.time. :bangshead

DH will "ask" Monkey to do something, then get mad when she says no. You made it optional dude. what did you expect? It baffles him that the kids are more compliant with me than with him. But, it drives him absolutely crazy if I try to suggest a different way.

My mom has that same mindset as well. I think it has to do with the way that she was raised - children did not have the option of saying no, so the politeness was just a curtesy. She definitely has the mindset of "Do what I say, when I say it, without attitude or questioning, just because I said so" - (DH and I sometimes struggle with residuals of this from our childhoods as well )
justbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justbreathe For This Useful Post:
Niphredil (05-22-2012), Petie (05-15-2012), rjy9343 (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
J3K
Deactivated

Hi ! I'm Myrtle. I like to pretend I'm an R.O.U.S.

J3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond repute

I got a confused look from a gramma when I was babysitting. She said , "How did you get him to clean all his toys up?". I said "I told him to." She said she often told him to and he didn't. She said , "here watch this... *to the child* E , would you please put your shoes in your room ?". E gave the response he wanted. "no."
I said , "You asked. I tell. E , your Gramma meant to say 'put your shoes in your room now. Hop like a bunny if you want'.
And he did.
Leaving me thinking "of course" and leaving the gramma thinking I'm some magical soothsayer. She called me a "mini Mary Poppins".
J3K is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to J3K For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (05-16-2012), Auroras mom (05-16-2012), Damselfly (05-15-2012), EnglishRose (05-18-2012), Hermana Linda (05-15-2012), melliethepooh (05-15-2012), OrangeHope (05-21-2012), Petie (05-15-2012), PrincessAnika (05-15-2012), Rabbit (05-17-2012), RedPetals (05-18-2012), rjy9343 (05-15-2012), Tasmanian Saint (05-16-2012), TenderLovingWillow (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 07:59 AM   #8
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasmanian Saint View Post
My parents would have plainly said that it was optional or "only if you want to". They wouldn't have asked if it were a command, either, so there wasn't a chance for confusion.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThreeKids For This Useful Post:
Petie (05-15-2012), Tasmanian Saint (05-16-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 08:11 AM   #9
Bumblebee
Rose Bush

Bumblebee is a jewel in the roughBumblebee is a jewel in the roughBumblebee is a jewel in the roughBumblebee is a jewel in the rough

I don't think youre insane either....if it int optional you can't start with "will you..."
Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bumblebee For This Useful Post:
Petie (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #10
BeckaBlue
Rose Garden

AKA mama2madj

BeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond repute

It drives E batty that I ask and accept no, AND that I tell without asking
It just makes sense to me.
I HATE when my kids get defensive when I asked them and they do say no. I tell them "I asked you a question. No is acceptable. There is no need for the attitude." When I tell and they say no I say "I didn't ask you, I told you. Now do it."
K, 14 ENP
A, 11 INJ
N, 10 EFJ
J, 5.5 ETJ
El 10/11
D 1/13

"Against the grain should be a way of life. What's worth the prize is always worth the fight" - Nickelback
BeckaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BeckaBlue For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (05-16-2012), MomtoJGJ (05-16-2012), Petie (05-15-2012), Rabbit (05-17-2012), rjy9343 (05-15-2012), Tasmanian Saint (05-16-2012), TenderLovingWillow (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 08:17 AM   #11
hey mommy
Rose Garden

I am so hopelessly in love..

hey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond repute

I often have to tell them the difference between asking & telling. If you want it done in a timely manner, tell them. If you don't care when it gets done, ask them.

Then when I give the child a request, I have to remind the other adult that I asked them, did not tell them, and they don't have to jump up and do it right that second.

Janice (ISFP), single-mommy to Cias(11) Samuel( 4) and 2 babies in heaven

Scully: You know, there is life on this planet.
Mulder: I've seen the life on this planet, Scully, that's why I'm looking elsewhere.

A

Check out my NEW facebook page.
I am now a Plexus Ambassador.
hey mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hey mommy For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (05-16-2012), Petie (05-15-2012), rjy9343 (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #12
magpiedpiper
Rose Bush

magpiedpiper is a glorious beacon of lightmagpiedpiper is a glorious beacon of lightmagpiedpiper is a glorious beacon of lightmagpiedpiper is a glorious beacon of lightmagpiedpiper is a glorious beacon of lightmagpiedpiper is a glorious beacon of light

This is a great thread for me to read. Thank you all! I grew up with the same type of "requests" as your mom gave, OP, that eventually turned to threats.
I am fairly certain that I always talk like this as a result. "please do this, please do that" and assumed that because I said it in a certain tone or whatever that it was still a command, just a "polite" one.
dulce de leche (05-15-2012), LikeQuietDreams (05-15-2012), Petie (05-15-2012), rjy9343 (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #13
LikeQuietDreams
Rose Trellis

fka Sweetbelly :)

LikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond repute

I'm having a light bulb moment. I don't ask with please and thank you, but I do end my command with "okay?"

"DS, go put your shoes away, okay?"

Then I get frustrated when he tells me, "no," thinking that he is not complying. But now I'm realizing that he is telling me, "No, that is not okay with me."

Wifey to my always thinking, sarcastic, librarian, INFJ hubby. (10/2007) "So, I've been thinking..."
Loving mama to my energetic, compassionate, and BIG feelings having ds "I" (01/2009) "You're going to be okay, little plant."
and my easy-going though slightly demanding, tough bulldozer, ds "H". (09/2011) "Hey! Hey! HEEEY!"

I'm blogging!
LikeQuietDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LikeQuietDreams For This Useful Post:
Petie (05-15-2012), TenderLovingWillow (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #14
JoEllen
Banned

"When life gives you lemons, cut them in half and squirt life in the eye!" - Unknown

JoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond repute

Rest assured, you are perfectly sane. It took me forever to learn the difference between requesting and requiring. Saying "please" and "thank you" is just demonstrating politeness while giving an order.
JoEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoEllen For This Useful Post:
Petie (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #15
WildFlower
Banned

WildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3K View Post
I got a confused look from a gramma when I was babysitting. She said , "How did you get him to clean all his toys up?". I said "I told him to." She said she often told him to and he didn't. She said , "here watch this... *to the child* E , would you please put your shoes in your room ?". E gave the response he wanted. "no."
I said , "You asked. I tell. E , your Gramma meant to say 'put your shoes in your room now. Hop like a bunny if you want'.
And he did.
Leaving me thinking "of course" and leaving the gramma thinking I'm some magical soothsayer. She called me a "mini Mary Poppins".

This !

My mom said to my nephew, "why don't you put your car on the counter so we can set the table"
Nephew "no thank you".
Grandma
His mom "E when Grandma says that she really means, "Put your car on the counter"
Nephew "OH! OK." then he does it.

I think adults need to be more clear in their language. You can be polite and say please and still use a command without making it sound optional.
WildFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WildFlower For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (05-16-2012), Petie (05-15-2012), rjy9343 (05-15-2012)