Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:28 PM   #16
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FlyLady chat thread!

I made detailed cleaning lists that were later helpful when my kids got older and could take over bathroom cleaning. I think the lists would be helpful with delegating a variety of chores. All the more reason to update my lists.

One thing that never worked for me was sweeping the middles. I'm curious if anyone else couldn't get over that. If anything, I just kick bits to the edges until I have time to vacuum or sweep.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 03:05 PM   #17
Taedareth
Rose Garden

The Doctor: If there's one thing I can't stand it's an unpunctual alien attack!

Taedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond repute

Along those lines, I like to remind myself that something is better than nothing. So if I don't have time to thoroughly clean the bathroom, then my inclination is to do nothing until I can do it completely. But some cleaning is an improvement over no cleaning, so now I give myself permission to do a quick job on the worst bits - what FlyLady calls the middles. It helps keep the place more enjoyable to live in without stressing me out unduly

Soapmaker. Sourdough baker. Seed sower. Duck grower. Hungarian speaker. Torah seeker.

Keep within me / a stillness / deeper and sweeter / than a forest's / in mid of winter. ~Hebridean Altars
Taedareth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taedareth For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (01-07-2017), RiverRock (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 09:57 PM   #18
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth View Post
Along those lines, I like to remind myself that something is better than nothing. So if I don't have time to thoroughly clean the bathroom, then my inclination is to do nothing until I can do it completely. But some cleaning is an improvement over no cleaning, so now I give myself permission to do a quick job on the worst bits - what FlyLady calls the middles. It helps keep the place more enjoyable to live in without stressing me out unduly
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:07 AM   #19
RiverRock

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

Flylady and cleaning schedules have been on my mind a lot. I am reminded of my biggest issue with her method...the first step is to declutter. I am not good at decluttering.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
gerberadaisy (01-08-2017), kiloyd (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 12:05 PM   #20
Taedareth
Rose Garden

Taedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you could just start with critical areas (kitchen, bathroom). Use your lists to keep them sanitized daily/weekly. If there's any clutter in those spots, just stick it all in a box to deal with later

Decluttering is hard, but it was such an aha moment when I read that clutter cannot be organized. No wonder it feels so impossible to get this place organized! I like the litmus test of asking myself whether an item is currently blessing my home. If not, I don't feel too guilty about releasing it to bless someone else's home. Also, looking at a big room full of clutter is overwhelming, but setting a timer for 15 minutes is heartening It's going to take me a long time to fully de-clutter, but with my kitchen, bathroom, and entryway clean, I'm already feeling a lot better. I guess the livingroom is next...I need a shovel....

Soapmaker. Sourdough baker. Seed sower. Duck grower. Hungarian speaker. Torah seeker.

Keep within me / a stillness / deeper and sweeter / than a forest's / in mid of winter. ~Hebridean Altars
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Taedareth For This Useful Post:
gr8tful1 (01-08-2017), kiloyd (01-08-2017), RiverRock (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 12:12 PM   #21
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

gerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRock View Post
Flylady and cleaning schedules have been on my mind a lot. I am reminded of my biggest issue with her method...the first step is to declutter. I am not good at decluttering.
I'm right there with you.
gerberadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gerberadaisy For This Useful Post:
gr8tful1 (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 12:39 PM   #22
gr8tful1
Rosebud

gr8tful1 will become famous soon enough

I started her a few years ago, then dropped out. I got too overwhelmed by the emails and simply never gave it a chance. Just started again, and it feels great. I do what i can and remind myself that she says so often to start where you are and not beat yourself up. It is helpful to know there is a plan and a time limit also. I get overwhelmed when i start cleaning because one dirty thing leads me to another...so i never want to start. Knowing that everything will be taken care of in time is a relief. Gives me permission to stop cleaning once i get going so i don't get burned out. I also like how she calls it Home Blessing. I thought of that this morning when i was washing sheets and cleaning walls. It really does bless a home. My biggest struggle is that DH is close to being a hoarder. He does not part with anything. i want to secretly get rid of things, but i don't think that would be right. And without fail, he asks for that thing i got rid of (that hasn't seen the light of day in YEARS) within a month of disappearing.

Last edited by gr8tful1; 01-08-2017 at 12:42 PM.
gr8tful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gr8tful1 For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (01-08-2017), Taedareth (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 01:44 PM   #23
Taedareth
Rose Garden

Yikes, that's hard How can he even find things that haven't seen the light of day in years? I have no idea where to start looking for those kinds of things

Do you like getting the emails now? I haven't tried signing up for the email list

The Following User Says Thank You to Taedareth For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 05:55 PM   #24
RiverRock

Quote:
Maybe you could just start with critical areas (kitchen, bathroom). Use your lists to keep them sanitized daily/weekly. If there's any clutter in those spots, just stick it all in a box to deal with later

Decluttering is hard, but it was such an aha moment when I read that clutter cannot be organized. No wonder it feels so impossible to get this place organized! ...It's going to take me a long time to fully de-clutter, but with my kitchen, bathroom, and entryway clean, I'm already feeling a lot better. I guess the livingroom is next...I need a shovel....
My kitchen, bathrooms, living room, and entryways are manageable. The other rooms have accumulated boxes of clutter. I really need to just get rid of stuff in the EASIEST way possible instead of having plans to sell, organize or keep for future art projects. The teacher in me tries to be too resourceful, but I think it's time to just get rid of things so I can have more space. I'm sure there will be the occasional regret...but the freedom from so much junk will probably be worth it!
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
The Following User Says Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
VaticanCameos (01-13-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 08:15 PM   #25
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRock View Post
I really need to just get rid of stuff in the EASIEST way possible instead of having plans to sell, organize or keep for future art projects. The teacher in me tries to be too resourceful, but I think it's time to just get rid of things so I can have more space. I'm sure there will be the occasional regret...but the freedom from so much junk will probably be worth it!
Me too! I often talk myself out of selling things. I'll sell something if I can sell it for $10 or more. Otherwise I donate.

---------- Post added at 03:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 AM ----------

I need to do more decluttering! I have an on going donation box in the corner of my pantry. Right now have 2 bags in the van to go donate.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
RiverRock (01-08-2017), Taedareth (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 04:15 PM   #26
RiverRock

Is anyone else following Flylady's zones? This week is the kitchen. I am thinking about making my detailed lists as the zones come. It seems like a good way to spread out the work and pace myself. I happened to clean out the fridge this morning before even going to her website to see what zone she is in. This past weekend I wiped down the cabinets and appliances. That's probably all the housecleaning I did this past weekend, so the timing of the kitchen zone in good for me.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:28 PM   #27
Taedareth
Rose Garden

I'm doing zones (But I dread cleaning out my fridge )

The Following User Says Thank You to Taedareth For This Useful Post:
RiverRock (01-10-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 08:21 PM   #28
kiloyd
Rose Garden

Quote:
I'm doing zones (But I dread cleaning out my fridge )
Just do one shelf at a time.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
The Following User Says Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
Taedareth (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 09:17 PM   #29
Taedareth
Rose Garden

That is an excellent idea. I would never have thought of it. Why do I overwhelm myself with huge projects??

Old 01-12-2017, 02:06 PM   #30
kiloyd
Rose Garden

Quote:
That is an excellent idea. I would never have thought of it. Why do I overwhelm myself with huge projects??

FlyLady taught me baby steps.

I wipe out the front of my 'fridge and sometimes empty spots (when there are some), after I wash dishes sometimes. For example, yesterday I actually took out the milk jug and wiped the shelf. Took 10 seconds!
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
The Following User Says Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
rdsmommy (01-12-2017)