Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:56 AM   #1
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default if you make kefir...

...what do you use to strain out your grains? I'm finding my kefir too thick for my mesh strainer, and I sort of have to smah it through, which thins it and defeats the purpose.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:44 PM   #2
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: if you make kefir...

Is this Milk Kefir?

If so, you want your colonies to grow thick and clump together and get big.

One thing I can recommend is to use more milk and check it in 12 hours or 24 hours - and see if that's the consistency you're going for.

I use a plastic strainer and drain what I can, then mix it around a little to get a little more out (Not pushing it, just moving it some) and leaving enough to start the next batch with the same culture.

Right now we have ours resting in the fridge, but during summer I can easily do about a gallon of milk in a week without trying hard.
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HadassahSukkot For This Useful Post:
HuggaBuggaMommy (01-15-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 03:49 PM   #3
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I used a colander with slats rather than holes. Eventually my grains got chunky enough that I could use one with with big holes even.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (01-15-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 04:11 PM   #4
sweetpeas
Rose Trellis

sweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute

For the last year or so I've had my kefir grains in a silicone tea infuser. It was awesome because no straining required, just move the infuser to a new jar of milk. But I didn't like that the grains didn't have room to grow, so I just recently switched them to a muslin bag. I just drop the bag into the jar and then when it's done, fish the bag out and drop it in a new jar of milk. Things have to be easy, or I get lazy and don't bother to keep up with them

Busy Homeschooling Mom to 3 Sweetpeas:
Lexie & Ashlyn 16 yr old twins
and
Lina, 9
Virtual Accountant and Bookkeeper in my "spare time"
sweetpeas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeas For This Useful Post:
daina (02-11-2017), HadassahSukkot (01-15-2017), HuggaBuggaMommy (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 11:18 AM   #5
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeas View Post
For the last year or so I've had my kefir grains in a silicone tea infuser. It was awesome because no straining required, just move the infuser to a new jar of milk. But I didn't like that the grains didn't have room to grow, so I just recently switched them to a muslin bag. I just drop the bag into the jar and then when it's done, fish the bag out and drop it in a new jar of milk. Things have to be easy, or I get lazy and don't bother to keep up with them
Okay, thank you. I was considering this (the bag idea) but wasn't sure if I could do that.

I'm still activating my grains, but boy, it's much more of a pain than the water kefir (which I love; the milk one is for dh and ds2).

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:53 PM   #6
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I used a slotted spoon or even clean fingers. Sometimes I would have to pour it slowly into another container in order to find them.

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

ETA handling your cultures is supposed to be very good for them (and you).
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 03:11 PM   #7
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if you can get milk sugar there at a HFS, but if you can, and you're looking for your grains to grow and get bigger, adding a tsp per jar that you're doing will help them multiply. I made mine really happy doing that a year or so ago and we ended up splitting and sharing our grains with family.
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:02 PM   #8
TheNaturalBetta
Seedling Rose

TheNaturalBetta will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeas View Post
Neat! I didn't know you could do this. I would have thought the grain needed to be loose in the milk to "touch" it all.

Also didn't realize the grains like to be touched.

Good info. I have heen making kefir for 5 years or more, always used a plastic strainer that fits on top of a Mason jar.

mama to Son-9 years, and Daughter-6 years, and baby Son
TheNaturalBetta is offline   Reply With Quote