Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:27 AM   #1
KarenBoo
Rose Garden

KarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help me pick out a kitchen sink!

Hey y'all!

So we are getting a new kitchen sink. It will be an undermount stainless sink. I want one large sink instead of having a divider in the middle. So all of that is done.

What I need opinions on is the inside edge of the sink. They have 2 choices now. First is the regular kind that you would expect to see in any sink. The corners are very round and the bottom of the sink isn't really flat. The advantage to this sink is that it's easy to wash because of the fat round corners. The disadvantage is that dishes don't easily sit flat in the bottom.

The second type of sink has fairly good crisp corners, with very minimal rounding. So the disadvantage to that is that you would really have to get in those corners to clean the sink. But, the dishes in the sink would sit flatter, if not perfectly flat.

Also, if design matters, my kitchen is very "middle of the road." It's not "modern." It is getting updated a bit. (new appliances, new sink, faucet, and countertops. Cabinets and floors stay the same.) So I don't know if the sharper-cornered sink would look too modern in such a "regular" kitchen?

I'd love thoughts and opinions! Thanks very much!

crunchy, homeschooling, and focused on healing with diet, homeopathy, and QRI cold laser reflex integration
KarenBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:55 AM   #2
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help me pick out a kitchen sink!

I am not sure about th square corners because have only had rounded ones before but would not have one that is flush with countertops.That is what we have now and water goes everywhere and rips onto floor in front of sink

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
GlacierLily (01-16-2017), KarenBoo (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 11:30 AM   #3
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Exciting!
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:13 PM   #4
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Do you have a dishwasher? As in, are dishes actually left sitting in the sink much?

I never really have dishes in the sink -- they go directly in the dishwasher, so the ability for dishes to sit flat at the bottom wouldn't be an asset. I think I'd with a more rounded bottom.

In fact, this question made me think about my own sink because i never really paid attention to this feature. We have a flat bottom and gunk totally does accummulate around the edges. It's not that big of a deal but I do have to push stuff from the corners with my hand in order to get it to go down the drain well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
KarenBoo (01-16-2017), Soliloquy (01-16-2017), twoplustwo (01-17-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 12:55 PM   #5
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
In fact, this question made me think about my own sink because i never really paid attention to this feature. We have a flat bottom and gunk totally does accummulate around the edges. It's not that big of a deal but I do have to push stuff from the corners with my hand in order to get it to go down the drain well.
I've been curious about this and couldn't put my finger on why the stuff in my sink seems to go down so much easier than my mother's. That's exactly it. I would much prefer my rounded sink than hers even though hers is bigger with flat bottom. I find the the stuff that doesn't go down towards the drain so gross.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (01-16-2017), KarenBoo (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 01:59 PM   #6
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

My SIL was just complaining about her flat bottomed sinks that were hard to fully drain. They were recommended by an interior designer but not very practical. I recently replaced my kitchen sinks and I made the mistake of going with the ones provided for free by the counter company. Within a week I had a dent because the metal gauge isn't very high. Within a month I lost a piece of one of the sink stoppers and I can't find a replacement at a hardware store because the type of drain isn't a standard style (I will need to make a trip to the counter shop to see if they provide extras). My vote is for rounded edges or at least a bottom that is angled to drain.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
GlacierLily (01-16-2017), KarenBoo (01-16-2017), Soliloquy (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 02:21 PM   #7
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

MaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond repute

I've had sinks like both you described. I prefer the more squared one. Was really convenient. The one we used had a raised edge too, really helped me reduced splashing in the counter (I'm messy). Didn't have any draining issue, had a slight bit of angling towards the drain.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
MaySunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaySunflowers For This Useful Post:
KarenBoo (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 06:09 PM   #8
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

As much as I need/love square corners and hate rounded edges, I'd probably go with the sink that's easier to clean. And my kitchen will be modern when it's done.

I cannot wait to get rid of my sink and get one large sink that's an undermount! I hate divided sinks and I hate top-mount sinks. Enjoy!
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
KarenBoo (01-16-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 02:45 AM   #9
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

I so desperately want an undermount sink too!

Our kitchen is old and will likely never see a full modern kitchen remodel. Some day we do want to replace the counter tops tho. Is granite or another stone the only option for having an undermount sink or can you do so with lesser priced countertop materials?
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
KarenBoo (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 08:04 AM   #10
KarenBoo
Rose Garden

KarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Our kitchen is old and will likely never see a full modern kitchen remodel. Some day we do want to replace the counter tops tho. Is granite or another stone the only option for having an undermount sink or can you do so with lesser priced countertop materials?
You do need some form of solid surface to do an undermount sink.

---------- Post added at 10:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 AM ----------

Quote:
Do you have a dishwasher? As in, are dishes actually left sitting in the sink much?

I never really have dishes in the sink -- they go directly in the dishwasher, so the ability for dishes to sit flat at the bottom wouldn't be an asset. I think I'd with a more rounded bottom.

I do have a dishwasher, but we tend to pile dishes in the sink all day and then run the dishwasher every night. Part of that has to do with the different food allergies, and who can touch what. So a parent will load the dishwasher.

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

Thanks so much ladies! I went with the rounded corner design.

When I was reading customer reviews on Amazon, another question came up for me. We ordered a 10" deep sink, and someone asked if that will hurt your back to wash dishes in that sink! Such a good question!

I guess we'll find out the answer! Most of our dishes, even our pots and pans, go into the dishwasher. So we don't hand-scrub many dishes, thankfully!

crunchy, homeschooling, and focused on healing with diet, homeopathy, and QRI cold laser reflex integration
KarenBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:31 AM   #11
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

I have one with a lip and always liked the look of the flush (and we are going to get a new sink sometime in the next 1- 5 years;ideally 1 year, but you know. . . life) but the splashing thing makes sense. Though I dont usually fill up my sink all the way with water.

As far as the rounded, that's what we have and I would not get the flat with square corners. Like a pp mentioned we tend not to pile dishes in the sink so it's not really a problem. Plus the quick rinsing, quick draining is crucial for me. As far as the modern thing. I don't know. I think you could pull it off. Disclaimer: we tend to replace things in bits and pieces so are often going towards a look rather than 1 big kitchen remodel. So maybe you dont want my advice. Like right now we are changing the color of everything. But the stove and sink are not on board with the new look yet.

I also don't have a divider (but our previous home did) and prefer without - so Im on board with you on that.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
KarenBoo (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 01:10 PM   #12
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Corian or other manufactured solid surfaces are an option. We're probably going to get a Corian counter, or one of their competitors. I don't want the maintenance of granite. I love marble but you can't get acid on it. Quartz is gorgeous, imo, but I think I'd be just as happy with Corian. I want an all white kitchen.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (01-17-2017), KarenBoo (01-17-2017), knitlove (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 06:35 PM   #13
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Corian or other manufactured solid surfaces are an option. We're probably going to get a Corian counter, or one of their competitors. I don't want the maintenance of granite. I love marble but you can't get acid on it. Quartz is gorgeous, imo, but I think I'd be just as happy with Corian. I want an all white kitchen.
I have granite and I do zero to maintain it, just wipe it down. It's still shiny like the day it was installed.

I love the look of quartz! Soapstone and slate are nice, too, but are probably outrageously expensive. I probably should just get a soapstone griddle and be done with my obsession.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:04 AM   #14
2sunshines

Has anyone ever done any of these higher end countertops and installed it themselves? Or do you mostly have to go through a contractor and/or be uber talented in remodeling to do it yourself with that size of stone?
Old 01-18-2017, 07:29 AM   #15
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

From watching my mom's counters be in stalled it is not something I would want to tackle on my own. They are huge and heavy and aquward. If the stone gets broken during institution you want it to be someone else's issue to fix and not yours.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (01-18-2017), KarenBoo (01-19-2017), Soliloquy (01-18-2017)