Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Dessert *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 11-18-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
raining_kisses
Deactivated

..a little child, born yesterday, A thing on mother's milk and kisses fed... ~"Hymn to Mercury"

raining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond repute
Default fondant help

im not trying to cover the whole cake, just use it like playdoh to make little things to top my cake.

what tools do i NEED. recipes? marshmellow really the way to go? tips? THANKS!!
raining_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fondant help

Have you checked out AllRecipies?

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

As far as tools, you just need a rolling pin and cutters really.
Marshmallow fondant is fun and tasty. I like it to work with because if I mess up, I can just ball it up again and stick it in the microwave to get it soft again. Storebought fondant does not microwave well and will just get cracky.

a tip- if you are not covering the entire cake, make the MMF in a small batch recipe and tint the melted marshmallows. That is so much quicker and easier than trying to split up the large batch of white fondant and knead the colors in. Do you have a small batch recipe, of just one that uses the whole bag?

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
raining_kisses
Deactivated

..a little child, born yesterday, A thing on mother's milk and kisses fed... ~"Hymn to Mercury"

raining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond repute

i have no recipe.

lol, but i am going to check out lindas link. thanks linda!!

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

Quote:
if you are not covering the entire cake, make the MMF in a small batch recipe and tint the melted marshmallows. That is so much quicker and easier than trying to split up the large batch of white fondant and knead the colors in
i have no idea what this part really means. i hope it makes more sense as i actually get into it. thanks for the tips..
Old 11-18-2010, 09:09 PM   #5
Hermana Linda
Administrator

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

No problem. I know nothing about fondant but I do know that AllRecipes can be very helpful. I gave you a search so it's really lots of links. See if they have a tutorial. They have one for pie crusts which I did find helpful.

My pages:
Old 11-18-2010, 09:54 PM   #6
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by raining_kisses View Post
i have no recipe.

i have no idea what this part really means. i hope it makes more sense as i actually get into it. thanks for the tips..
Here is a recipe for a small batch

Marshmallow fondant
1 cup mini marshmallows, packed
1 tbsp water
1 1/2- 1 3/4 cup powdered sugar

Place in a microwave safe bowl and add the water. Put in the microwave for about 20 seconds, just long enough for them to puff up and get soft. Remove and stir with a shortening covered spoon until combined well. it should look soupy. If you are tinting, do it at this point. Then add the 1 1/2 c sugar and mix it in until it is no longer sticky. if you have a stand mixer with a dough hook, that works really well to knead it. If not, knead it with your hands on the counter until it is nice and smooth. (about 5 minutes)

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

Last edited by RealLifeMama; 11-18-2010 at 10:23 PM. Reason: typos
RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
Hermana Linda (11-18-2010)
Old 11-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #7
raining_kisses
Deactivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealLifeMama View Post
Here is a recipe for a small batch

Marshmallow fondant
1 cup mini marshmallows, packed
1 tbsp water
1 1/2- 1 3/4 cup powdered sugar

Place in a microwave safe bowl and add the water. Put in the microwave for about 20 seconds, just long enouch for them to puff up and get soft. Remove and stir with a shortening covered spoon until combined well. it should look soupy. If you are tinting, do it at this point. Then add the 1 1/2 c sugar and mix it in until it is no longer sticky. and mix in until it is no longer sticky. if you have a stand mixer with a dough hook, that works really well to knead it. If not, knead it with your hands on the counter until it is nice and smooth. (about 5 minutes)
you speak my language. short and simple. thanks. i am going to follow this. you are all so helpful. thank you ladies.

anyone curiose about my cake???
Old 11-18-2010, 10:25 PM   #8
Hermana Linda
Administrator

We can't wait to see the pics.

My pages:
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
raining_kisses (11-19-2010)
Old 11-18-2010, 10:47 PM   #9
backtobasicsmum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

backtobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond repute

I LOVE the directions from here:
http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

If you want a smaller batch, just halve it.

So, is this for ds's upcoming birthday??
J - 14 My sparkly girl
L - 11 My funny boy
O - 9 My snuggly boy
backtobasicsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:53 AM   #10
Iveyrock
Rose Garden

Iveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by raining_kisses View Post
you speak my language. short and simple. thanks. i am going to follow this. you are all so helpful. thank you ladies.

anyone curiose about my cake???
me! mememe!

To... living with, living with, living with - not dying from disease! - Rent

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."
— Terry Pratchett (Terry Pratchett's Men at Arms)
Iveyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iveyrock For This Useful Post:
raining_kisses (11-19-2010)
Old 11-19-2010, 03:51 PM   #11
raining_kisses
Deactivated

yes. its a gnome cake for ds's first birthday. woodland/gnome themed. im making fondont toadstools and possibly some other stuff. we will see how good we are tonight. we bought all the stuff to try it. im excited. thanks for all the tips!!

i will take pictures of matt and i's efforts.
The Following User Says Thank You to raining_kisses For This Useful Post:
Iveyrock (11-19-2010)
Old 11-19-2010, 07:42 PM   #12
raining_kisses
Deactivated

its mixing in the mixer right now with dh standing gaurd. we dont think we did it right but maybe here in a second some magic alchemy will happen and it will look like fondont.

ok now its done and.....Its Actually Fodont. super cool. dh is messing around with some cute little mushrooms now. and we couldnt get it red. its hot pink. how much dye do you have to put in for true red???

riskay but kinda funny
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raining_kisses For This Useful Post:
Iveyrock (11-20-2010), KarenBoo (11-20-2010)
Old 11-19-2010, 09:25 PM   #13
backtobasicsmum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

backtobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond repute

I think to get a true red, you'll probably need food gel, not liquid.

And I can totally see how mushrooms could look not so mushroom like veeeery easily. I'm pretty sure that has been done many times on Cakewrecks!

I'm so excited to see your work!
J - 14 My sparkly girl
L - 11 My funny boy
O - 9 My snuggly boy
backtobasicsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:34 PM   #14
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

parenting better than I garden

mamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond repute

ooh, putting the coloring in with the marshmallows is a GREAT idea

Says the woman who dyed her hands *purple* with dark green gel coloring. Go figure.
mamaKristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:03 PM   #15
raining_kisses
Deactivated

Default Re: fondant help*updated with pics*

ignore the white dots being so weird. we didnt save any fondont back. we dyed it all pink. the white dots are slices of marshmellow. i bought some better food coloring at hobby lobby. i looked on the box of the dye i bought and it says pink. so the more we added the hotter pink it became. we are going to try again.

btw, i cant take the credit for these. dh did them.