Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 04-29-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
DavidKelleyMay18
Rose Trellis

DavidKelleyMay18 is a glorious beacon of lightDavidKelleyMay18 is a glorious beacon of lightDavidKelleyMay18 is a glorious beacon of lightDavidKelleyMay18 is a glorious beacon of lightDavidKelleyMay18 is a glorious beacon of lightDavidKelleyMay18 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Being Paid for Chores....

I know I've seen a thread on semi of this before. I have a really hard time with this. There are some things I don't pay for like making beds, cleaning your room, or playroom. Vacuuming, counters, dishwasher, folding laundry etc.. is paid. They used to be able to earn going somewhere with mom/dad, playing a game, maybe a treat etc.. With my 5 yr. and 7 yr. old they only fold, and make beds so they get paid for both. I've been thinking of having them take care of the dishwasher too. My now 13 yr. old is not happy about this as it will take away from his $$. On one hand I want them to have responsibility with $$ and not depend on getting paid, but on the other do they get paid, or should some things get paid and not others. I know everyone has their way on doing things, but these days I'm feeling stronger and stronger on getting paid with chores. I also want them to be able to feel good about having $$ to buy presents for birthdays and Christmas.

Any thoughts please!!
Kelley
DavidKelleyMay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
newday
Deactivated

newday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Being Paid for Chores....

Using the dishes as an example: .25 cents when I assign the task
.50 cents if they notice and do the dishes without me asking (they take the initiative)
they owe me .25 cents if I have to remind them to do their task repeatedly.

Usually both girls do two loads of laundry (folding and putting away) and two loads (or more) of dishes (usually just drying and putting away, but sometimes washing - washing is one task, drying is a separate task) per day. They rarely take the initiative, but I can see a time coming where money will matter a lot more, and I expect they will look for ways to earn more.

If they tidy/clean the bathroom or entry way, that counts as a task. If they need motivation for their bedroom I usually help them clean it or give them a treat or pay them.
Their daily routines are not paid - making their beds, personal hygiene, washing their own dishes from a meal, getting dressed. But, if they were struggling with doing them I would definitely work out some kind of reward for the work until they were internally motivated (which I realize may never happen ) I think that with the regular routines the key has been that we very rarely deviate, even from the youngest age. Sometimes we have to modify the routine -- for example if we are at the in-laws they don't wash their own dishes, but the basics stay the same. The good part of that is that my little boys are copying their sisters because it is just "normal"

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

I realize it isn't what you were asking, but if the jobs are really big, sometimes we break them up with 10 min of hard work, 5 min of reading/play time. Or a couple of choco. chips every five minutes
Most of their tasks can be completed in 15 min or less. For younger children I would think that the tasks should take less time or it would be overwhelming.
newday is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to newday For This Useful Post:
DavidKelleyMay18 (05-01-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
DavidKelleyMay18
Rose Trellis

DavidKelleyMay18 is a glorious beacon of lightDavidKelleyMay18 is a glorious beacon of lightDavidKelleyMay18 is a glorious beacon of lightDavidKelleyMay18 is a glorious beacon of lightDavidKelleyMay18 is a glorious beacon of lightDavidKelleyMay18 is a glorious beacon of light

It did help some. Maybe for no complaints etc.. they will get $$. I'm just soo torn. Anyone else have any advice!!!
Old 04-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

peopel choose to do thisng in many diffrent ways and I dont think one is necessary better of worse as long as there is fair consistancy.. We have personally done it a few diffrent ways but this is what works best for us..

Cecilia get an allowance of $9 per month or $4.50 per our pay (she gets paid every 2 weeks like we do) she gets this jsut for being out kid and can choose to spend it how she likes and its not 100% tied to chores.. Her only obgliation is $.25 of it will go each week to put into the church collection and its her responsibilty to make sure she sets aside that to do so..

We do not tie chores to an allowance however we also don't require a whole bunch of consistant chores from her her only consistant daily jobs are
1) making her bed and making sure her stuff is cleared from the floor (room is tidy)
2) making sure the bathroom is generally tidy no clothes or towels on the floor new ones hung if needed sink generally uncluttered and wiped down

Thats is it she does do plenty of other things as I need the help but those are the only thigs I expect daily..She does tend to soemtimes give us attitude on this and frankly one are she will reconsider if its worth battling us is with the allowance so she does get fined 10cents a day per chore for not completing her basic chores... S basically she doesn't have to earn the $9 a month but she can risk loosing up to $6 of her $9 for pre tween attitutde issues...

Every so often we might have a bigger than ussual job to do where we might offer her say .25-40 cents to help but they don't happen often..

Deanna
Old 04-29-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
JellyBean
Rose Garden

JellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond repute

Right now my kids only have certain chores that are paid chores. My 7 year old's actual chores are cleaning bathrooms, putting away laundry, feeding the dog and hamster, personal hygiene, table chores, evening pickup, and room. It sounds like a lot but honestly if he's quick about it he can do the bulk of them in less than 10 mins and the rest (table chores, evening pickup) we do as a family so its no big deal. Paid chores are things that don't really have to be done but he can for extra money. Scrubbing floors and baseboards, pledging all the wood, cleaning mirrors, etc. So if noone choses to do them and they go undone its really not the end of the world.

As for managing money. I don't plan on tying that to chores completely. Obviously they can make money from chores but I plan on doing like Deanna does and give him an allowance just for being our kid. He really hasn't asked for one yet so I'm waiting until he shows he's ready for one. Once he starts getting an allowance we'll go into money management more.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #6
hey mommy
Rose Garden

I am so hopelessly in love..

hey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond repute

I have no problem paying my son to wash windows, clean the ceiling fans, and clean the front bathroom. He makes money, and it gets done. It's a win-win.

Soon I'll start paying him to wash baseboards and do the things I don't want to. We have to have the house empty and show-room ready at the end of June, so I'm willing to pay him to do it.

Janice (ISFP), single-mommy to Cias(11) Samuel( 4) and 2 babies in heaven

Scully: You know, there is life on this planet.
Mulder: I've seen the life on this planet, Scully, that's why I'm looking elsewhere.

A

Check out my NEW facebook page.
I am now a Plexus Ambassador.
hey mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #7
Marsha
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Marsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond repute

Lord have mercy, I only have two children and that would drive me nuts keeping track of . I give money just because they are my daughters and they do chores just because that's what we do as a family. Occasionally, I give bonuses for a special favor. The 9 yr old gets $5/week and 6 yr old gets $2.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:34 AM   #8
jandjmommy
Rose Bouquet

jandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the reminder--we need to get back on track with allowance since the kids are saving for summer vacation souvenirs!
When we do allowance it's just given -- 10 quarters each that are divided between giving (1 quarter=10%), permanent savings (5 quarters) and spending/saving money (4 quarters) they can do what they want with. This is just to teach money skills and is not tied to work or attitude.
We do skills training instead of chores; the kids (5 & 8) don't get paid for those. Each kid has a list of about 6 skills we're working on with levels and a detailed list for each level. We call them Jedi Skills and they level up: Youngling/Padawan/Jedi Knight/Jedi Master. At Youngling I work with them and they advance in the skill through Jedi Master, which level they achieve when they can complete the skill solo and thoroughly when they see it needs doing (i.e. without being asked).
But chores outside the current training list are definitely open for pay! I don't require that items on their skills list be done before the pay chores; that doesn't always fit with our schedule.
Paid chores include washing the car, cleaning, organizing, etc. DD5 doesn't really care about money yet, but DS8 will often tell me he needs 5 more dollars to be able to buy a Lego set or whatever, and ask what he can do to earn it. We work together and negotiate a set of chores that will equal $5 and he works through the list.
I give credit as well: I gave the kids each a $5 budget for the book fair. The book DS wanted cost $8 and he asked if he could work for the extra $3. Of course! I let him read it on the way home from school so I could think of something he could do when we got home. When we got home I told him what I had thought of, he accepted, and asked me to hold the book until he was done!
Example of paid chore: [For the $3 he wanted (above)] He has one of those toy shelving units with lots of bins. I asked him to dump each one out, dust the inside and outside of the bins, sort them to make sure all of the toys were in the right spot, and I gave him a trash bag "just in case there's anything broken or that you don't want anymore." He came back 45 minutes later with 2 FULL trash bags of unwanted toys! He did a beautiful job and thanks to his decluttering ended up with 2 empty bins! That was worth every penny of $3 to me, and he was proud of himself for working hard.
jandjmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jandjmommy For This Useful Post:
newday (05-01-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #9
newday
Deactivated

newday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsha View Post
Lord have mercy, I only have two children and that would drive me nuts keeping track of . I give money just because they are my daughters and they do chores just because that's what we do as a family. Occasionally, I give bonuses for a special favor. The 9 yr old gets $5/week and 6 yr old gets $2.
ITU marsha

we homeschool, so it works out pretty naturally here, it doesn't seem too fussy for me. But I can see how it would be for a different family
newday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:29 AM   #10
DavidKelleyMay18
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by newday View Post
Using the dishes as an example: .25 cents when I assign the task
.50 cents if they notice and do the dishes without me asking (they take the initiative)
they owe me .25 cents if I have to remind them to do their task repeatedly.
I think this is more my sort of thing rather than the kids just thinking they get allowance. Seems more of you give allowance, so maybe I'm wrong in my feeling on what to do. On one hand I feel wrong in giving $$ for emptying dishwasher..etc but on the other hand allowance $$ I don't want them thinking that you just get this $$. I am not judging anyone at all. This is just my thought. Maybe I should try the above, and see where I feel in the future and what I feel about it.

Thank-you, Kelley
Old 05-01-2012, 08:19 AM   #11
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't want them thinking that you just get this $$.
Actually this thinking was WHY I started an allowance... It helped stop the constant can I have game..

I basically started a base allowance for my DD because I got tired of the constant begging and you never get me gunk.. Even her constantly offering to work for a fee was just grating on my nerve.. DH and I decided that we'd provide her with a small amount of a base allowance and that in return she'd be responsible for her own "extra" spending..

1) her responsibility to put aside and bring the church money her ONE requirement

2) her responsibility to eaither save or spend the remaining

3) her responsibility to bring her money along if she thinks she might find something (no paying back mama latter)

Deanna
JellyBean (05-01-2012), Marsha (05-01-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #12
Marsha
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Marsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond repute

Same here, Deanna.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #13
SubarbanHippie

This is what I have found works for us. Everyone's mileage will vary. My son gets a dollar for every year he is old per week. That means he gets $9/week. He can get it in whatever form he chooses. Some weeks he asks for the money is WiiWare points to buy games online. Those weeks it comes out of my checking account and he never receives actual money. Other weeks he gets it in cash and is free to spend it at Target on Friday night. The only requirement is that he gives $1 at church on Sunday and puts $1 into his savings account, which leaves him with $7.

I will only advance him up to $5, which he has to pay me back out of the next allowance, without fail. He gets money deducted for not doing chores, but earns extra money for big helps, like helping me spread mulch in the garden or helping Grandpa with a project. Sometimes he will willingly do the extra chores to make up for money deducted by not doing a chore.

What I don't do is add or deduct money based on his behavior. I want him to know hard work is rewarded (as it is in the workforce), but I don't want him to ever allow money to motivate the actual heart of his behavior, if that makes sense. In other words, it's important to be kind and respectful, because it is what makes life best for everyone, including one's self, not because you're getting paid to act that way.

ETA: I know it seems like a lot of money per week for allowance to many people; however, the trade-off is DH and I pay for necessities like his homeschooling materials, food, clothing, shoes, hygiene items, etc. and he has to pay for anything extra (save for special times like birthdays or Christmas, of course). He used to always ask us to buy him things at the store, so we had a budget per week of what we'd spend on little doo-dads for DS. Now he is empowered and motivated by being able to buy those things for himself. It was much easier than trying to keep up with how much we'd spent on his extras every week.

Last edited by SubarbanHippie; 05-05-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:41 AM   #14
DavidKelleyMay18
Rose Trellis

Thanks!! I've been basically only taking $$ away for chores not done when I keep having to remind them. I'm having a hard time staying consistent on this as I forget who or who did or didn't do this or that.

Kelley
Old 05-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #15
JellyBean
Rose Garden

JellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKelleyMay18 View Post
I don't want them thinking that you just get this $$.
But the thing is when you are part of a family you kinda do "just get money" for being part of the family sometimes. I know I get some of hubby's salary that he works for and I'm definitely not docked if I don't do my chores. It just is and I don't necessarily think its wrong for them to see that you dont' have to work for every penny you get.
The Following User Says Thank You to JellyBean For This Useful Post:
Marsha (05-06-2012)