Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Slow Cooker Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-16-2009, 07:08 AM   #1
tinyheaths

Default Yogurt making in the crockpot

I made my own yogurt in the crock-pot last night and it worked. It was sooo easy. I will not being buying yogurt for a long while. Here how I did it.

The recipe called for not ultra pasteurized milk but that was all I had so I used it.
1/2 cup dannon whole plain yogurt
8 cups whole milk

put milk in crock-pot on low 2 1/2 hours turn off crock-pot

take out 1-2 cups milk mix in bowl with yogurt pour back in crock-pot put on lid cover with big bath towel and go to bed.

Got up put it in a container and let it cool completly in fridge.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:24 AM   #2
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yogurt making in the crockpot

Ooo, I have to try this!

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:28 AM   #3
mama-hobbit
Deactivated

mama-hobbit has a reputation beyond reputemama-hobbit has a reputation beyond reputemama-hobbit has a reputation beyond reputemama-hobbit has a reputation beyond reputemama-hobbit has a reputation beyond reputemama-hobbit has a reputation beyond reputemama-hobbit has a reputation beyond reputemama-hobbit has a reputation beyond reputemama-hobbit has a reputation beyond reputemama-hobbit has a reputation beyond reputemama-hobbit has a reputation beyond repute

hmmm.... I may have to try this!
mama-hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:40 AM   #4
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

I know of other moms who had success with doing this in mason jars and a water bath in the crockpot. Then you put the crockpot on warm, and I think you just leave the lid off. I'll have to double-check. I was going to try that since most crockpots have lead in the lining. Its the same basic idea, though

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:27 AM   #5
CakeLady

That's really cool!
Old 01-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #6
luvinmykidz
Rose Garden

luvinmykidz is a glorious beacon of lightluvinmykidz is a glorious beacon of lightluvinmykidz is a glorious beacon of lightluvinmykidz is a glorious beacon of lightluvinmykidz is a glorious beacon of lightluvinmykidz is a glorious beacon of light

this recipe calls for yogurt in it....how do you make yogurt so you don't have to buy any yogurt to make it?

Mom to 3 very energetic and crazy children!
Richard (11)
Belle (8)
David (6)

Striving to be a more patient momma to children with emotion regulation problems...aka Bipolar disorder, ADHD, sensory integration dysfunction and ODD
luvinmykidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:03 AM   #7
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

You need a starter to make yogurt

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:06 AM   #8
Garland
Rose Trellis

Garland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting this. I'd like to try it soon!
Old 01-16-2009, 03:21 PM   #9
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkie
I know of other moms who had success with doing this in mason jars and a water bath in the crockpot. Then you put the crockpot on warm, and I think you just leave the lid off. I'll have to double-check. I was going to try that since most crockpots have lead in the lining. Its the same basic idea, though
Please let us know. I'd like to do it that way.

I have a newer crock pot that cooks really hot, even on low. I'm guessing I'd need to use the keep warm setting?

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:13 AM   #10
JessicaNichole
Rose Trellis

JessicaNichole is a name known to allJessicaNichole is a name known to allJessicaNichole is a name known to allJessicaNichole is a name known to allJessicaNichole is a name known to allJessicaNichole is a name known to allJessicaNichole is a name known to allJessicaNichole is a name known to all

hs anyone else tried this yet? has it worked? Im gonna try this soon.. my mom is going to try it this weekend i think. I will let you know how it works.
JessicaNichole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:21 AM   #11
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute

and Avery, with the Lord September 2010

In essentials, Unity
In non-essentials, Liberty
In all things, Charity

My Blogs: Living Healthy in the Modern World and Wordy Musings
Lady TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:59 PM   #12
milkmaidmama
Rose Blossom

milkmaidmama has a spectacular aura aboutmilkmaidmama has a spectacular aura aboutmilkmaidmama has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvinmykidz
this recipe calls for yogurt in it....how do you make yogurt so you don't have to buy any yogurt to make it?
Once you use plain yogurt once you can just keep reusing your own homemade yogurt as a starter or you can buy packets at whole food stores. It's just the initial bacteria (pro biotics) that then reproduce under the right conditions (heat and moisture).
Where I share little pieces of me and my journey: http://divandmama.blogspot.com/
milkmaidmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:28 PM   #13
MtnMama

i thought yogurt is finniky and you've got to be really careful to stay in the range of 90 to 120 degrees? If this crockpot thing works, I'm all on board!

For any dairy free people, you can use soymilk, too.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:46 PM   #14
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

parenting better than I garden

mamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond repute

I did this the other day, and it turned out great! Although, I used a different starter yogurt, can't get that type of Dannon here.

My kids are iffy about it - apparently, even with strawberries and honey, it wasn't sweet enough. :/ I'll try again tomorrow with more sweetener.
mamaKristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:48 PM   #15
celestial princess
Rose Garden

...sometimes I can't see it for the trees

celestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for posting this - it's going to save me so much time!!!! I make my own using a pot on the stove then cooling and pouring and wrapping a square container with a small rectangular heating pad ... this will be much easier!!!! :thankyou
celestial princess is offline   Reply With Quote