Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] > Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* A public forum.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:28 AM   #1
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Location: High above a great and beautiful canyon in a Golden State city...
Firebird Rising has disabled reputation
Default Vegan Iron Chef Challenge #1 QUINOA

Uncommonly healthy little grain -

Quinoa - Wiki definition
QUINOA can be subbed for a variety of starches, rice, couscous and other pastas, bulgur, TVP and tofu and many other things. It easily takes on flavors.

Do some googling, some cookbook searching and have fun with QUINOA! Try to make it vegan or with a limited amount of dairy/egg (in other words, "cheesy quinoa enchilada with extra cheese and eggs" is not quite what I'm looking for )

Challenge #2 clue
My description contains equal amounts of two primary colors
My harvesters are well supported during the months of October and November
As a baby, I travel so much that my brothers and sisters are feet apart while we grow

For more information on this challenge, visit this link: GCM Veggie Iron Chef challenge

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks - Gandalf

Last edited by Firebird Rising; 09-14-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Firebird Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Default Re: Vegetarian/Vegan Iron Chef GCM style - #1 QUINOA

<disclaimer>My sole purpose in cooking is to make it easy for myself. This means I don't measure very well. I cook to taste. Someday when I am writing a cookbook, I'll have to get over this. But if it's a recipe I've thought up, be prepared to play with amounts since I won't have hard and fast measurements. That said....>

All pictures are clickable thumbnails

Curry Quinoa Salad

• little bit of olive oil
  • One 16 lb extra firm water packed tofu, drained, patted dry and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
  • two handfuls of raisins or "craisins"
  • four cups COOKED quinoa
  • 1/3 bag of that prewashed baby spinach
  • two handfuls of almond slivers
  • curry powder
  • Bragg's liquid aminos OR soy sauce
  • garlic granules or powder
  • 1/3 cup vegannaise

Pour a swig of olive oil into a frying pan. Heat up the pan on medium and swirl oil around, then flip pan upside down over sink and let the oil empty out. You just wanna small bit to keep tofu from sticking. Throw the tofu cubes in and add a few shakes of curry powder (I keep this in a bottle with a shaker lid). Add a few shakes of garlic powder. You can't really overdo it with either ingredient because they will just enhance the quinoa flavor if nothing else. It should look a bit like this:

Squirt some braggs or soy sauce in the pan so you can mix it up and get the tofu coated with the flavors. Again, you can't really overdo it because the flavors will become much diluted when you've added the other ingredients.

Allow the tofu to fry, mixing it with a wooden spoon, until you just start to see the tofu toasting a bit. The tofu should be a dull yellow from the curry seasoning. After the tofu is showing signs of being fried, turn it off.

Grab your almonds and throw them in a small frying pan turned on med-high. You're going to toast them. Let them sit there a minute, then pick up the pan and swirl them or mix them around with a spoon or other apparatus. Let them sit a bit more and repeat. DO NOT STOP WATCHING THEM. I have burned many a nut while attempting to toast it. < I just read that again and it came out a bit different sounding than I meant, but it made me laugh so I'm leaving it. This is a very serious recipe and it needs some humor>

throw the toasted almonds into a glass bowl as soon as they show signs of being toasted (when they're brown in spots). DO NOT leave them in the pan as they'll keep cooking.

Chop the spinach into strips (like the lettuce at Taco Bell, only you don't have to be quite so anal-retentive about the width).

Do the hokey pokey.

Dump it all in a mixing bowl and stir. Oh yeah, throw in the raisins too. Add a bit more curry powder, well, you can add a lot, if you like curry. A bit more means a shake or two.

Eat it either lukewarm or chilled. The kids and I just eat it out of the mixing bowl with a spoon, usually. Then we don't tell my parents and put it in a tupperware for them to finish

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks - Gandalf

Last edited by Firebird Rising; 09-13-2010 at 02:24 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Firebird Rising For This Useful Post:
Aisling (09-14-2010), momyshaver (09-14-2010), Punkie (09-14-2010), Quiteria (09-14-2010)
Old 09-14-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

Spinach with Chickpeas and Quinoa

Total time = 20 minutes; Serves 4

1 c quinoa, dry
1/2 c pine nuts
3 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (15.5oz) can chickpeas, rinsed
1/2 c raisins (dark or golden)
3 handfuls spinach or swiss chard, chopped
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Bring 1 cup water to a boil. Stir in quinoa and cook, covered, on med-low for 10 minutes, or until water cooks out.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, over low heat, toast the pine nuts, shaking the pan frequently, until golden, 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a plate. (Or stick 'em in the toaster oven like I do. Just a notch over the med setting will toast them nicely without burning.)

Return the skillet to medium heat. Add oil and heat for 1 minute. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the chickpeas, raisins, spinach, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chard/spinach is tender. Remove from heat. Stir in quinoa & pine nuts.

I give this recipe 4 stars. It's very light, so it makes for a nice lunch or side dish for dinner. The original recipe calls for couscous, which I prefer, so I dropped a star when subbing quinoa.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mommylove For This Useful Post:
Aisling (09-14-2010), Punkie (09-14-2010)
Old 09-14-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
Serafine
Deactivated

Serafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond repute

Black Bean Quinoa Salad
Time: No idea, I made it up on the fly as I went

1 cup dry quinoa (red or regular)
2 cups water or broth (for cooking the Quinoa)
1 avocado, chunked
1 medium tomato, chunked
1/2 medium onion, chunked (or 1 bunch green onions, sliced)
handful of cilantro leaves
1 can (or 2 cups home=cooked) black beans, rinsed/drained
toasted or crispy nuts (optional, it was good without it -I prefer cashews, but almonds were good too) - handful or 2.

dressing:
olive oil
cilantro
lime juice
salt/pepper

Cook Quinoa however you like (we have enjoyed using our rice cooker)
Combine rest of ingredients (we sprinkle the nuts on each individual serving)
mix dressing together
toss salad with dressing
salt/pepper to taste.

Last edited by Serafine; 09-14-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Serafine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Serafine For This Useful Post:
Aisling (09-14-2010), momyshaver (09-14-2010), Quiteria (09-14-2010)
Old 09-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
Aisling
Deactivated

Even artichokes have hearts!

Aisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vegan Iron Chef Challenge #1 QUINOA

I'll be a showoff and submit my own recipe...I made this one up. Totally proud of myself; it rocks.

Ashley's Fantastic Black Bean & Quinoa Soup

1.5 lbs canned or soaked & cooked black beans
1 TB powdered roasted chipotle pepper (or to taste)
2/3 cup quinoa, uncooked
1/2 tsp cumin
1tsp onion powder (you could use 1/3 cup diced onion, I just have a picky eater )
1-2 large cloves of crushed garlic
1 finely diced red bell pepper
3 TB blackstrap molasses (you could sub honey or maple syrup, I just like the iron content of the molasses)
1tsp cinnamon
salt to taste

suggested garnishes and sides:
sour cream (vegan or regular)
diced fresh tomatoes
chives or thinly sliced green onions
sliced avocadoes (2-3 usually work for our family of 5...yes, the baby EATS)
Blue cornbread, toasted pita or tortilla chips

Put everything but cinnamon in pot, cover until water is 2" or so above the beans. Simmer with lid on at med-high, stirring occasionally and checking for water. Add cinnamon last (it gets bitter if you cook it for too long), then garnish bowls with sour cream, avocados and tomatoes.

Mmmmmm! Everyone in the family loves it, and it packs a mongo-load of protein and iron, and it's great for the immune system, too. I've had guests rave over it, so it's a good "company" veg/vegan meal.
Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aisling For This Useful Post:
Firebird Rising (09-14-2010), Quiteria (09-14-2010), Serafine (09-14-2010)
Old 09-14-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Ashley, I love the comment about the avocados. It's hard to get by with two avocados in this house. Ben will eat about a whole one himself..

Should I be able to find the powdered chipotle at a regular store? I didn't realize you could buy them like that.

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------

It's awesome how well beans go with quinoa. Super huge dose of protein.

I can't wait to try these recipes

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

Old 09-14-2010, 03:25 PM   #7
Aisling
Deactivated

Even artichokes have hearts!

Aisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond repute

I buy it in bulk at a local international store. I should stick some in a swap!

You can get the canned chipotle peppers in the grocery, and just use a tablespoon or two of the sauce. It keeps in a ziplock in the fridge forever, so one can might last you two or three pots of soup.
Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aisling For This Useful Post:
Firebird Rising (09-14-2010)
Old 09-14-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
Serafine
Deactivated

Serafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireshifter View Post

Should I be able to find the powdered chipotle at a regular store? I didn't realize you could buy them like that.
http://www.frontiercoop.com/isearch.....x=0&gobtn.y=0
Serafine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Serafine For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #9
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute

Those recipes look yummy! I will try some of them.
Did you know that you can sprout quinoa?
And, you can buy sprouted quinoa.
I found that out last week and actually got some sprouted quinoa for free from the nice employee at whole foods.
I have used it up now - and I am going to try sprouting it myself.

I made Quinoa With Almonds and Currants
(recipe from the book "Clean Food" - with my adaptations added in)
1 1/2 c. quinoa (I used my sprouted quinoa)
2 1/4 c. water (I used homemade vegetable stock)
1/4 c. currants (they are like little raisins - you could sub raisins if you want)
1 T extra virgin olive oil
1 red onion - diced (I used about 1/3 of a yellow onion)
1/4t ground cinnamon
1/4t ground ginger
1/4 t ground corriander
1/8 t ground tumeric
3/4 t ground cumin
(I did not really measure the spices - I just shook them in)
3 T toasted sliced almonds (I had raw almonds and I chopped them up with a slap chopper type thing and pan toasted them - I did not measure them either)
1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley (I did not have parsley but i had fresh dill so I chopped some of that and used it instead)
salt and pepper

Rinse quinoa and place in large pot or rice cooker with water, currants and salt. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer 15 min. or until all water is absorbed. (I added the currants at the end so it would be less sweet)

In a large skillet over medium heat, saute onion and spices in oil until soft. Fold into cooked quinoa along with almonds and parsley (or other fresh herb). Season to taste with salt and pepper.

---------- Post added at 12:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 AM ----------

I also made - from the same cookbook - a variation of their
Quinoa Pilaf with Toasted Nuts and Seeds

1 c. quinoa
1 1/2 c. water or veggie stock
1/4 c. currants
1/2 c. marinated or roasted cipollini onions, quartered (I did not have those so I just left it out)
1/4 c. diced fennel (I did not have that and used dill again)
1/4 c. toasted pumpkin seeds
1/4 c. toasted sunflower seeds
1/4 c. toasted sliced (or chopped) almonds
(I had all of them raw and toasted them in a dry pan)
1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro or flat parsley (I did not have that - just the dill)
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
2 t. ume plum vinegar

Rinse and drain quinoa and place in pot with water or stock (I used stock). Boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until all water is absorbed (about 15 min). Remove from heat and set aside to cool, fluff with spoon. Gently fold in currants, onions, fennel, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, almonds and cilantro or parsley (or dill or whatever you have - I bet fresh basil would be good too).
Drizzle with olive oil and vinegar and stir to combine.
Serve warm or room temp (or cold).

---------- Post added at 12:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

How to sprout quinoa (I have not tried this yet - I just bought the already sprouted kind - got it as a free sample actually.) I think the sprouted quinoa has a milder, sweeter flavor and I really like it. I hope it is as good when I sprout it myself.

Rinse quinoa thoroughly and place in bowl with enough water to cover. Allow quinoa to absorb water - about 4 hours. Place quinoa in fine-mesh strainer, rinse and place the strainer on plate on counter. Rinse two times druing the day. Quinoa will sprout within 24 hours.
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to believer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2010, 08:32 AM   #10
Zipporah
Deactivated

Formerly NightingaleQueenofCrocs

Zipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud of

I just made Cherry, Almond and Quinoa muffins

Mix together in a large bowl:
1 cup of milk (I used almond)
1 tbsp ground flax
1/4 oil
1/4 cup sweetner (agave, honey, maple syrup, light molasses/golden syrup)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 almond essence
pinch salt

In another bowl sift together:
1 cup flour (I used atta)
1/2 cup of ground almonds
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon

Stir into the liquid ingredients until just mixed
Then add:
1 1/4 cup cooked quinoa
3/4 cup of chopped dried cherries
And stir until just combined-some small lumps are fine.

Spoon into 12 muffin cases. Bake at 350 F/180 C for around 20 mins.
Zipporah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zipporah For This Useful Post:
Aisling (09-24-2010), Firebird Rising (09-19-2010)
Old 09-19-2010, 08:40 AM   #11
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Thanks Kate. That sounds so good. I'm going to try all of these next week

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

Old 09-19-2010, 08:45 AM   #12
Zipporah
Deactivated

Formerly NightingaleQueenofCrocs

Zipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud of

Dude-that's a lot of quinoa
Zipporah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:48 AM   #13
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightingaleQueenofCrocs View Post
Dude-that's a lot of quinoa
I need to get it used up. It's getting a bit dated.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

Old 09-24-2010, 10:27 AM   #14
Zoesmama

I love to make quinoa with kidney beans(its gotta be mine and dd's favorite) and lots of curry powder. YUMMY! I caramelize onions throw in some garlic and carrots I like to use the peeler and peel it off in thin strips. It works well for chicken as well if you have family that still eats meat. I know my brother seemed to eat it when I made it with chicken.

I will have to try some of these too.