Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public* > Technical Corner (Electronics, Computers, Websites (like Facebook), Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Old 04-26-2016, 09:13 AM   #1
backtobasicsmum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

backtobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question kids and learning to mod (particularly MineCraft )

My oldest has expressed interest in learning more computer skills, particularly doing mods for MineCraft. We are a *very* low tech, low screen family (for example he's allowed 20 minutes a week playing MineCraft ), but I do think computer skills are valuable.
He's found several books on the topic. One recommends a website mod.learntomod.com. Does anyone have any experience with that or have another suggestion?
J - 14 My sparkly girl
L - 11 My funny boy
O - 9 My snuggly boy
backtobasicsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:53 AM   #2
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: kids and learning to mod (particularly MineCraft )

We have been down this road this year, my nearly 10 year old was intensely interested in this. My husband is a software engineer and he knew that Minecraft Mods are written in JavaScript. But he said he would have no idea how to teach a kid JavaScript.i looked around a ton in the more urban areas near us for a class on Minecraft modding or even just JavaScript for kids. There was nothing. We tried watching tutorials on YouTube but they were way over her head (and frankly mine too). The farthest she got with it was finding code from Minecraft Planet and Minecraft forums what she could copy and paste into command blocks on Minecraft to sort of add code to the game.

As far as programming though, in my search for modding classes I did find a class for Scratch Coding for kids that she is just finishing up with. It is very fun and also the program is free with lots of online or downloadable content so you can share the games you create, view others and there are tutorials on YouTube to walk you through learning it and developing the games. Here is the main web site
https://scratch.mit.edu

Anyway for now she's pretty happy and satisfied with scratch but I know she hasn't forgotten about Minecraft so if you find anything let us know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AngelaVA For This Useful Post:
backtobasicsmum (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 10:47 AM   #3
backtobasicsmum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

backtobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond repute

Our public library system offers free online Gale Courses and Java is offered. Maybe your library offers something similar? I haven't checked yet to see if it would be age appropriate for kids to take.
J - 14 My sparkly girl
L - 11 My funny boy
O - 9 My snuggly boy
backtobasicsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:09 PM   #4
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

I have been told that Java and JavaScript are entirely different. I would check into that before enrolling in a Java class.

The learn to mod site looks good. The Blockly looks really similar to how scratch works. We may look at that next.

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

The Following User Says Thank You to AngelaVA For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2016, 01:22 PM   #5
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaVA View Post
Here is the main web site
https://scratch.mit.edu
Both of my kids use this site & like it. My 10 year old more so than my 8 year old. Though my 8 year old is more into building stuff on Minecraft - not writing, just playing/building with it. Especially in the winter. Right now they almost live outside and haven't been on a screen in a week or so.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2016, 01:53 PM   #6
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Minecraft is Java, not JavaScript.

My kids do some modding. They've gotten Java books from the library and they took one online course from Youth Digital.

They also play around with other languages like Python, Ruby, and Jason.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaVA View Post
Anyway for now she's pretty happy and satisfied with scratch but I know she hasn't forgotten about Minecraft so if you find anything let us know

One book we got from the library is "Adventures in Minecraft." It uses Python, iirc.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ie=UTF8&btkr=1
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 01:54 PM   #7
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

Interesting...I wonder why the learn to mod site is teaching JavaScript then?

https://www.learntomod.com/features/

(See where they talk about graduating from Blockly to JavaScript in learning to mod?)

Maybe you can do either idk. I can't do coding at all I've just been trying to research it for my kid.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:55 PM   #8
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Minecraft is written in Java but you can write mods in other languages but I don't think you'll be able to take it as far.
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 07:37 PM   #9
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

I talked to my dh (programmer) and kids and you can use Jason to program command blocks.