Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:30 PM   #31
zak
Administrator

Friend of the Fellowship

zak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When kids are VERY messy. . . constant reminders abt pick up??

I am related to people ("the cousins") who are doing hard labor-y chores from like age 4. I am hyper sensitive and worried I am messing my kids up because they are pigs. Like seriously, their 4-5 year olds could clean a bathroom (CLEAN it), load/empty the dish washer, put their laundry away, vacuum/mop. And a ton of other things too. I feel like I am doing something wrong and/or raising lazy boys. (Yes, my oldest is 8).

Dedicated GCMer since 2003

Administrator and Moderating Cradled, Babes, Breastfeeding, Beautiful Mothers and Circumcision
zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:48 PM   #32
Teacher Mom
Rose Garden

Teacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond repute

just seeing this post, but this has been me lately

My kids are 14 and 12. I feeeeeeeel like I am going insane beating my head against a brick wall!!!!!!!

I repeat myself CONSTANTLY!!!!

and my son is entering puberty....oh Lord have mercy......he's smart mouthed, forgetful, funny, and angry all rolled in one.

I keep trying (repeat trying) to remind myself that this too shall pass and they will be gone before I blink.

Teacher Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teacher Mom For This Useful Post:
momyshaver (06-02-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 04:23 PM   #33
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak View Post
I am related to people ("the cousins") who are doing hard labor-y chores from like age 4. I am hyper sensitive and worried I am messing my kids up because they are pigs. Like seriously, their 4-5 year olds could clean a bathroom (CLEAN it), load/empty the dish washer, put their laundry away, vacuum/mop. And a ton of other things too. I feel like I am doing something wrong and/or raising lazy boys. (Yes, my oldest is 8).
WHOA! Well, I am SO not into hard labor for children and you are NOT raising lazy boys My goal is not to work my kids to death but make them capable of cleaning so that they have life skills and keep myself from being totally miserable.

I personally feel I start my kids young but here is a little perspective on what is meant by that. My 7 year old has just learned to load the dishwasher - she's been emptying with my help since 18 months (she likes the silverware but doesn't ever empty dishes cuz they get broken - we use almost no plastic). Putting away laundry w/help starts at 5 (7 year old is doing without help now but only since she turned 7). Mop/vacuum is for fun only until about 11 and even then I chip in. Bathroom cleaning. Okay, my son has been CLEAN CLEANING the bathroom since age 3 but that was montessori based therapy due to steroid rage and not something I did with any other kids. My oldest (just turned 13) just learned to clean the bathroom - ds likes to do it so much that even I rarely clean the bathroom

My goal is by 14 that they can clean the whole house although my son is already capable of cleaning the whole house but he's not only tidy but likes cleaning. The girls? Not so much - not their bent and I require it of them for life skills.

I really like Jane Nelson's chore guide in Positive Discipline A-Z. She lists chores that are developmentally appropriate

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Mom View Post
just seeing this post, but this has been me lately

My kids are 14 and 12. I feeeeeeeel like I am going insane beating my head against a brick wall!!!!!!!

I repeat myself CONSTANTLY!!!!

and my son is entering puberty....oh Lord have mercy......he's smart mouthed, forgetful, funny, and angry all rolled in one.

I keep trying (repeat trying) to remind myself that this too shall pass and they will be gone before I blink.
This will pass

My son has been entering puberty for a while now UGH. . . the hormones are horrid. He finds cleaning to be therapeutic but as I said above, he LIKES it

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
momyshaver (06-02-2013), Teacher Mom (06-01-2013)
Old 06-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #34
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

We just did a whole family, whole house clean-up because our landlord was coming over. The house wasn't trashed but every room had some "stuff" lying around that I wanted put away and I wanted to sweep or run the vacuum in every room. It went SO QUICKLY because I had dh helping me. He kept the kids on task while I followed with the broom and vacuum. Normally, my 3 and 4 year-olds get side-tracked and start playing, getting as many things out as they put away. My older two just move really s l o w l y at picking up because they don't like it and frankly don't care if their stuff is everywhere.

I was naturally tidy as a child. None of my kids seem to have the tidy gene. They do like scrubbing and dusting in short bursts.

It is very helpful to know that, as they get older, they will be able to see the big picture and understand that if we ALL work together we can be done in no time.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (06-02-2013)
Old 06-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #35
Teacher Mom
Rose Garden

Teacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond repute

even your t4 Grace doesn't have the tidy gene???? when I was in school, I couldn't study if my room was a mess. I need things to be put away!!!!

Teacher Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #36
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Mom View Post
even your t4 Grace doesn't have the tidy gene???? when I was in school, I couldn't study if my room was a mess. I need things to be put away!!!!
No, my dh is an untidy T4 and that's what she got. My dh needs intellectual tidiness but can focus really well in a messy room. I can't even sleep in a messy bed or cook unless all the dishes are done.

Sent from my Droid Razr via Tapatalk 2 via Swype
Old 06-02-2013, 06:17 AM   #37
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaM View Post

It is very helpful to know that, as they get older, they will be able to see the big picture and understand that if we ALL work together we can be done in no time.
I don't know if they see the big picture TBH BUT they do see that I am not going to back off and they just do it

How I motivate them is that I don't allow any "fun" until the work is done (no screens, no outside time, no board games, etc). It's been that way for several years so I don't think they even considered arguing

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (06-02-2013)
Old 06-02-2013, 06:18 AM   #38
zak
Administrator

Friend of the Fellowship

zak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond repute

We did a whole family clean up yesterday (DH even did the dishes.... by hand! ). It was great.

Dedicated GCMer since 2003

Administrator and Moderating Cradled, Babes, Breastfeeding, Beautiful Mothers and Circumcision
zak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zak For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (06-02-2013), tempus vernum (06-02-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #39
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

Yesterday my mom came over to drop dd1 off and she asked "Is your house really clean?" and I said "hmm. . . I don't think so" and then I realized IT IS! It's SO tidy since we started this and I'm already used to it

plus, with not having to pick up after my kids, I am finding the energy to CLEAN CLEAN again We did a fast house blessing today and dh and I had the whole house dusted, vacuumed, swept, and bathrooms done in 15 minutes

We also got a new bedroom set and our office got rearranged so we have a more "compartmentalized house" (i.e. no desk in living room or bedroom)

Now, if I can get rid of the rest of my clutter, I'd be REALLY happy BUT I'm slowly having the energy to declutter and clean again so I have hope that will happen soon.

I'm almost giddy with joy that we've made it this far

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Llee (06-13-2013), Soliloquy (06-12-2013), Teacher Mom (06-12-2013), teamommy (06-11-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #40
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

That's really exciting!! Now I just need to hang in there until mine are older. The older two need, me to stay on top of them, still. The younger two help willingly.

Sent from my Droid Razr via Tapatalk 2 via Swype
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (06-13-2013)
Old 07-13-2015, 08:51 PM   #41
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I found this thread because I was trying to get motivation to keep decluttering and searching for what worked for me in the past. With my oldest two gone and my youngest in camp, I had big plans for the week.

What is amazing? We still use this system successfully We've added things (lawn care, gardening, plant work, laundry help, and helping with the "cleaning" part).

BUT with the exception of piles of clutter, our house ends up tidy once or twice a day

It's now fairly common for all of my dc to participate in "cleaning" not just tidying. In a pinch, it's still my ds who steps up and cleans the bathrooms

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Blue-EyedLady (07-18-2015), Soliloquy (07-14-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 12:20 PM   #42
Hopetobe
Rose Garden

Hopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond repute

to read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrea INTP, DYT 4/1
Wife to B ~9yrs
Mom to
E 3yo & L 1yo
10/13/09
Hopetobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:19 PM   #43
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

This was a good read,I neeed new ideas. My system is pretty straight forward. Sometime in the late afternoon,I turn off the tv,turn on music and instruct my kids to clean up the living room and dining room. If they trashed their bedrooms that day,those get done too. It's EXHAUSTING. I stand over my four year old half the time because he gets distracted in no time. My eight year old picks up a corner and then stands around hoping she's done until I give her another corner or category. Twenty minutes later,everything is fairly neat. Ugh. My two year old happily helps for a little while which is fine.
My mantra is "If it doesn't fit in the vacuum,pick it up." And also, "Finish the task."
When we're all done,I give specific praise and do my best to say yes to whatever they want to do next. And I comment "Now,we have a nice clean floor to enjoy as a family." Sometimes we play charades.
But the actual making them clean up is awful and tiring I don't feel gentle and kind,I feel unyielding and tougher than I want to be.
But I refuse to let them grow up the way I did. Mom did EVERYTHING and it was terrible for us.
I don't know how to have a less stressful clean up time. I can try the chip system.
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:09 PM   #44
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

We've been using the "Flip a Coin" app that Crystal suggested and having the kids each do a room rather than work on it together. Oh my goodness! So much better!

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (07-19-2015)