Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #346
JenLovie
Deactivated

You win when you choose health. MWWR

JenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: kombucha 101 thread! *another new question #63 and 64*

Kombucha newby question: Is this a scoby?

And if it is, that means I'm ready for my 2nd ferment, right?
JenLovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #347
Hopetobe
Rose Garden

Hopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLovie View Post
Kombucha newby question: Is this a scoby?

And if it is, that means I'm ready for my 2nd ferment, right?
Yes, it looks like a SCOBY, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's ready for the second ferment. You have to taste it. How long since you put the sweet tea in with the old SCOBY... or wait are you asking because you are growing one from a store bought bottle?

Andrea INTP, DYT 4/1
Wife to B ~9yrs
Mom to
E 3yo & L 1yo
10/13/09
Hopetobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:47 AM   #348
JenLovie
Deactivated

JenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond repute

I grew from a store bought bottle.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #349
Hopetobe
Rose Garden

Hopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I grew from a store bought bottle.
Yay, glad it's working then! When I grew a SCOBY, I followed Food Renegade's directions, so I wasn't doing a full batch of Kombucha at the same time. I think it just used a cup or two of sweet tea, so when it was done, I just had the SCOBY and enough starter to make my first real batch. You can search online, but I think she recommended letting this mother get to at least a 1/4 of an inch thick before using it to make the first real batch, I can't remember. Anyway, if you are growing your first SCOBY and trying to brew a batch all at the same time, it might take a little longer. Either way, whether or not your kombucha is ready for the second fermentation is up to the taste and/or pH. I've never hears of it having anything to do with how thick the SCOBY is at that time.

When the k tea is ready for the 2nd ferment, you'll want to keep the SCOBY and some (at least a cup or two) of the kombucha from this 1st ferment for brewing more.

Andrea INTP, DYT 4/1
Wife to B ~9yrs
Mom to
E 3yo & L 1yo
10/13/09
Hopetobe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hopetobe For This Useful Post:
JenLovie (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #350
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopetobe View Post
Yes, it looks like a SCOBY, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's ready for the second ferment. You have to taste it. How long since you put the sweet tea in with the old SCOBY... or wait are you asking because you are growing one from a store bought bottle?
Yes, taste a bit. It should be tart but drinkable. I would wait for it to get a bit thicker and opaque before starting a new batch.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
JenLovie (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #351
blessedmamaofmany
Deactivated

I love my life.

blessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond repute

Whelp. I'm doing it!

My sweet tea is cooling, and my store bought kombucha is ready to go.

I'm following the FR instructions as well. I can't wait!
blessedmamaofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blessedmamaofmany For This Useful Post:
JenLovie (05-14-2012), shekinah (05-14-2012), Soliloquy (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #352
JenLovie
Deactivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmamaofmany View Post
Whelp. I'm doing it!

My sweet tea is cooling, and my store bought kombucha is ready to go.

I'm following the FR instructions as well. I can't wait!
I feel like I have a science experiment brewing on my counter...and I feel super crunchy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JenLovie For This Useful Post:
shekinah (05-14-2012), Soliloquy (05-15-2012), Stiina (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #353
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I feel like I have a science experiment brewing on my counter...and I feel super crunchy.
It totally fascinates me...

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cobluegirl For This Useful Post:
JenLovie (05-14-2012), Stiina (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #354
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

I remember reading somewhere "9 things I learned from a Hippy" and one of them was about being obsessed about food (check: now we are gluten-free and sugar-free and I overanalyze EVERYTHING I put into my body), and another one was "always has some sort of fermenting, weird science experiment in their kitchen"
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stiina For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (05-15-2012), Hopetobe (05-15-2012), JenLovie (05-15-2012), shekinah (05-14-2012), Soliloquy (05-15-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #355
JustMandy
Deactivated

Location: Among the tall straight pines of the coastal plain.
JustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm bored with KT. I'm not sure if it was really working for me. But I don't just want to trow my SCOBY out. It seems like a huge waste and I know myself....I'll want to do it again in 6 months.

Is there a way to save it and not make more KT?
JustMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #356
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMandy View Post
I'm bored with KT. I'm not sure if it was really working for me. But I don't just want to trow my SCOBY out. It seems like a huge waste and I know myself....I'll want to do it again in 6 months.

Is there a way to save it and not make more KT?
Yes, you can make a scoby hotel. There's lots of sites that explain it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
JustMandy (05-17-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #357
blessedmamaofmany
Deactivated

I love my life.

blessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond repute

I look at mine everyday.

And I make hubby look. He's very good at pretending he's interested.

I *think* we're in business here. It's been several days and already there's goodies in my tea. . I'll post a pic once it's bigger.
blessedmamaofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blessedmamaofmany For This Useful Post:
SweetCaroline (05-17-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #358
SweetCaroline
Rose Garden

a little Attachment Parenting will fix that

SweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

i grew a scoby from a bottle of kt from the hfs.

it took long because it was cold in my house..about 4 saturdays ..now its nice and thick.

i started my first gallon on sunday..at first the scoby sank, but now its at the top and fizzy

my dh:

me

so..question. why do some people have to throw out their first batch?
ISFP

Last edited by SweetCaroline; 05-17-2012 at 04:07 PM.
SweetCaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #359
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

i think just if it is to vinegary tasting from brewing so long

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
SweetCaroline (05-18-2012)
Old 05-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #360
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

so.... can you use a scoby from KT to make water kefir?
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote