Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 03-13-2016, 05:24 PM   #496
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation
Default Re: Decluttering thread!

I always throw all donations in the back of dh vehicle. I know me enough to know that i will procrastinate the drop off..l thinking i should just go through the items one more time... dh will not do that.... which is to the benefit of my simplification process, so i openly recognize my weakness and make adjustments in its favour. ❤

Last edited by 2sunshines; 03-13-2016 at 05:26 PM.
2sunshines is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
backtobasicsmum (03-13-2016), rjy9343 (03-13-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 09:47 AM   #497
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute

Started a box of unused toys. My goal is to fill the box. There's quite a bit of room though.

I bought small baskets to collect each person's paper junk that comes home. Now that is collected and contained, it seems easier to go through it and get rid of stuff.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Sister to BlessedBlue forever

Co-Founder and Lead Writer at Food Allergies On Ice

Blue-EyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue-EyedLady For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (03-15-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 10:45 AM   #498
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

I put all the papers Ivy brings home from school or church on the counter and throw them out at the end of the week after she goes to bed. Then I take out the trash before she gets up so if/when she checks it, there is no evidence. Same thing with broken toys.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:35 PM   #499
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute

I'm trying to teach them how to manage the paper stream for themselves. DH is completely lacking in that skill, and I'm determined that my boys will learn it.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:44 AM   #500
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

Right now every paper is special and very important. If she knew I was tossing it as soon as I can, she would have a fit. My husband is only slightly better. He will toss junk mail, but he keeps all other papers until something major happens and I am angry enough to make a big deal out of it.
I have been busy all week and have gotten very little done, but hope to do it all Saturday.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:50 AM   #501
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Having a bord that my children can keep all the special things helped us. If she can get it on the bord she is free it keep it. If stuff starts falling off I help her go through it and get it under control. ( actually I think the first couple of times I seritipisly removed things that were so covered they can't be seen). The process normally involves tears. But it has hugly helped up.

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 AM ----------

Hers the pictures.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
Michele123 (03-18-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 07:12 AM   #502
rjy9343
Rose Garden

We have one of those. It doesn't work very well because she insists on keeping what won't fit so she can change out paper later. It spills off of her shelf. I think it's just part of being on the spectrum. If I am careful, I can thin the herd without her knowing and keep it manageable. One day she will decide it's worth getting rid of on her own or she will find a better way to organize it so I don't do it for her.

The Following User Says Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
knitlove (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 07:37 AM   #503
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Definitely could be a spectrum thing. It's taken a couple years, but my spectrum kiddo is the best at throwing thing a away now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blue-EyedLady For This Useful Post:
bananacake (03-17-2016), rjy9343 (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 08:21 AM   #504
rjy9343
Rose Garden

She used to have an easier time of letting go of things, but ever since we left Germany, she can't do it. I am hoping that as she sees us getting rid of our own clutter, she will feel better about doing it herself. She knows what everyone has and where it is, so I think that as she sees me toss something without replacing it, she will come around in a few months.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
Blue-EyedLady (03-17-2016), knitlove (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 08:37 AM   #505
Trixie
Rose Blossom

Trixie has a spectacular aura aboutTrixie has a spectacular aura aboutTrixie has a spectacular aura about

I'm pretty good at keeping on top of my kids paper clutter from school. The paper they make at home is a different story. Sometimes I feel like a bad example because my room got to be such a huge mess. I finished my bachelor degree last August, and my room is a catch all for everything; so I literally had piles of paper and junk all over every surface and even the floor. I just recently got serious about decluttering the room. Last weekend I finally got EVERYTHING off the floors and was able to sweep for the first time in the three years since we moved into this house. Kind of embarrassing but I decided to take care of my own mess and setting a good example for my kids before deep cleaning the baby's room and other areas.
Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trixie For This Useful Post:
Blue-EyedLady (03-17-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 09:21 PM   #506
Michele123
Rose Trellis

Michele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm on a decluttering and purging kick. I've decided to try the Konmari method but without talking to my stuff. Lol. I've gotten rid of tons just in clothing and books. Now I'm on to paper clutter. However, the book stresses that you just do your own stuff and let that inspire your family members. No one else has been inspired yet... Still, I like having a map to follow. I'm hoping to finish before the baby comes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ENFJ, please excuse my stream of consciousness posts.

Battled infertility for 3 1/2 years before DD (PCOS)
TTC #2 for 6 months (3 ovulations)

Married to DH since Aug 2004
DD born Feb 2012
DS born May 2014
#3 due Aug 2016
Michele123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michele123 For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (03-19-2016), bananacake (03-19-2016), SalH (03-19-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 05:54 PM   #507
ShepherdsWife
Rose Bouquet

Full-time Mom to DS 8/13/12, Wife to the Sheep Man, and Rancher to 8000 momma sheep(ewes) :)

ShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant future

What do you think about cloth diapers? We have two kiddos. I used cloth almost exclusively with DS and then when DD came I was so busy between DS and the ranch that I started using disposables as well. Gradually I came to almost only do disposables. I can hardly keep up with laundry as it is. We haven't decided if we will ever have a #3 or not and if so it will be a couple years so.....I was thinking of selling my cloth diapers. I love using them but I can't see being less busy with 3 kids than I am already. They were such a huge investment though. Hmmmm, any thoughts. I guess I could just pack them in storage until we decide about a #3 and see where I am. I just am sick of looking in my towel closet and seeing diapers everywhere!:
DD December 2014
ShepherdsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:00 PM   #508
rjy9343
Rose Garden

I'd box up the diapers and decide when you have a third baby. Who knows what life will look like then?

Old 03-19-2016, 08:17 PM   #509
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Does it count as decluttering if you don't actually throw anything away? I organized the living room and the boy's room this week. It was a major ordeal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:20 PM   #510
rjy9343
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake View Post
Does it count as decluttering if you don't actually throw anything away? I organized the living room and the boy's room this week. It was a major ordeal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it does. You threw out all kinds of dust, dirt, filth and if you live in the southeast, pollen. I vacuumed up so much of it today.

The Following User Says Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
bananacake (03-20-2016)