Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Breads / Muffins *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 11-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
thrillofhope
Deactivated

thrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anybody have a really great ww bread recipe?

I need a whole grain bread recipe that will work for sandwiches, too.
thrillofhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody have a really great ww bread recipe?

Do you have a mixer, like a Bosch?

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
thrillofhope (12-10-2013)
Old 12-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
thrillofhope
Deactivated

thrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. I have a breadmaker or two hands and a spoon.
thrillofhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:31 PM   #4
Ramee151
Rose Blossom

Ramee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to behold

This is my MIL's recipe. I've done it by hand, in a kitchen-aide stand mixer, and in a bread-machine. It can be a little finicky--typically cured by watching that its wet enough/not too wet when its kneading. Its written for making by hand. If you use a bread machine--just remember to do all wet first, all dry second, and a well in the dry for yeast (last).

Its the base for most everything for us: Pizza Dough, Calzone Shells, Cinnamon Rolls, Dinner Rolls. Its been baked into a regular loaf just fine a few times as well.

Whole Wheat Bread Dough

¼ cup sugar
1 ½ cups warm water
2 teaspoons yeast (I use HEAPING teaspoons, sometimes I just do 3 teaspoons)

1 cup oatmeal (quick oats ONLY)
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
2 ½ cups white flour
1 tsp salt
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil

Combine yeast, warm water, sugar in bowl to proof. In large mixing bowl combine dry ingredients. Make well in dry ingredients and add yeast mixture after proofed, add oil. Mix until well combined—will be very sticky. Turn out onto floured surface and knead (10+ minutes). Preheat oven to lowest temp setting, once reached, turn oven off, and crack door. Place kneaded dough into greased bowl, cover with damp towel, Place in pre-heated, partially cooled oven. Leave door cracked. Allow dough rise until doubled in size. Punch down, and allow to rise again. (I don’t do double rise when I use the bread machine).

For Pizza (dough allowed to rise 1x): grease (or flour, but I find just spraying the counter down with Pam is really easy) your work surface. Using rolling pin, roll dough into pizza shape. Its going to rise again as it is baking, so be sure to get it good and thin. Assemble your pizza. Cook your pizza fairly low so the dough has time to bake through without burning (or use a pizza stone--which helps the dough cook). Don't have a heat or a time as this is something we play with EVERY time we make pizza. Devour!

For Calzones (dough allowed to rise 2x): grab a hunk of dough, and pat it out into a thin-ish oval type shape. Add filling. Roll and pinch edges to form tight seal. Brush with olive oil or melted butter, sprinkle with garlic powder or italian seasoning (if you like--optional). We do lots of little ones, so we bake a sheet of 8-12 calzones at ~350 until they are golden brown ~15-30 minutes (I know wide range, but I don't have it down to a science yet).

For Cinnamon Rolls: These are great with "regular" flours, but AMAZING if you use WW Pastry Flour & White Pastry Flour for the cinnamon roll dough--they are just lighter & fluffier. During the kneading (bread machine), I sprinkle in a liberal amount of allspice and cinnamon to flavor the dough. If you do it early in kneading, it’ll spread more, if you do it later you’ll have more like ‘ribbons’ of the spices. I just do a couple shakes of the spice container.

After the dough goes through the full dough cycle (which includes 1 rise on my machine), I plop it on a greased counter (I just spray the counter down with cooking spray), and roll it with a greased rolling pin (spray grease in hand, rubbed on rolling pin). I've found doing grease rather than flour to avoid sticking problems helps keep it from absorbing too much flour and getting dry/tough. MIL uses flour and doesn't have a problem with this—so its really whichever is your preference.

Roll out the dough, I don’t have precise dimensions, the dough needs to stay pretty thick (1/2 to ¼ inch thick), if you get it too thin they will be tough. I use my hand to ‘massage’ about ¼ -1/3 stick of butter/margarine onto the top of the dough. Then, sprinkle a mixture of cinnamon and allspice over the butter. Take a small/medium ramekin/prep bowl, dump in brown sugar—probably a little more than ½ full. I pour enough vanilla flavoring (I use the real stuff we get from mexico—but imitation is just as good) into the ramekin to melt the brown sugar. You want it to be the consistency of paste (not syrup) so it won't leak ALL OVER when you are cutting and placing the rolls in the pan. Use knife/spoon/ladle/pastry brush to cover the whole top. Then, sprinkle dry brown sugar and some white sugar over top of the vanilla stuff for good measure.

Roll up (jelly roll style) tightly. Slice—I’ve found steak knives do the best and put into prepared pan. If time allows, give rolls a 2nd/3rd rise (if not, they will still be delish). I suggest lining the pan with parchment paper because it is a bear to clean up the caramel syrup that escapes while they bake. Bake at 350-ish for about 15-30 minutes(?? Again, not so sure here, I go check them when I smell them). I let them cool for a few minutes to let the syrup inside harden up (so it doesn’t gush all over every where when you try to serve). Serve warm. They also do great with a few seconds in the microwave if you have any stragglers that make it past the first serving.
Ramee151 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ramee151 For This Useful Post:
thrillofhope (01-02-2014)