Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Breads / Muffins *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 08-12-2015, 05:04 AM   #1
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Zucchini bread

Anyone have a good recipe that doesn't use tons of sugar? Some is fine, but so many recipes are basically zucchini cake.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:24 AM   #2
schmamy
Rose Garden

schmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Zucchini bread

I've got a couple. Will come back later to post.
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9
schmamy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to schmamy For This Useful Post:
esperanza (08-12-2015)
Old 08-12-2015, 06:13 AM   #3
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

I reduce the sugar and increase the amount of zucchini in mine, but its still a lot of sugar, so looking forward to the replies.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:48 AM   #4
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

I have an overabundance of zucchini from my garden.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:40 AM   #5
schmamy
Rose Garden

schmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post

I have an overabundance of zucchini from my garden.
I can help you out with that, but bread would not be at the top of the list. More like, zucchini lasagna and sausage stuffed zucchini boats and zucchini saute and breaded baked zucchini rounds and...

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

Sorry, y'all, I used to have a recipe for zucchini muffins that was pretty low in sugar--to the point that people who are used to traditional baked goods and eat a lot of sugar probably wouldn't really enjoy them--but I can't find it. I'll post a couple of others in a minute, but first let me highly recommend these:

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2012/...read-pancakes/

They are really low in sugar, and instead of topping them with straight syrup, I like to make a "breakfast frosting" of cream cheese + maple syrup + cinnamon. You can use more, but you get some fat/protein and less straight sugar.

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

This is my basic go-to zucchini bread. I reduced the sugar, so it's not over the top but still sweet and tastes like people expect for traditional zucchini bread. You could use as much as 2.5-3 c zucchini but might need to add a little extra flour and/or bake longer.

This one is also pretty good for something different. Haven't made it in forever but apparently it was good enough to save in my binder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to schmamy For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (08-12-2015), esperanza (08-12-2015), Virginia (08-12-2015)
Old 08-12-2015, 09:07 AM   #6
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

i have one that uses honey instead i can try and find that one.

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
esperanza (08-12-2015)
Old 08-12-2015, 11:45 AM   #7
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that would be great! And other zucc recipes are welcome too!
Old 08-12-2015, 12:00 PM   #8
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

I use this one, but reduce the sugar. The chocolate chips make it quite sweet, so we never miss it. I also sub another oil for shortening.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chocola...ad/?mxt=t06dda

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Punkie For This Useful Post:
esperanza (08-12-2015)
Old 08-12-2015, 01:06 PM   #9
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

http://dontwastethecrumbs.com/2014/0...s-and-carrots/

is pretty close to the one i use. i use all honey tho --we live close to a bee farm and get get a gallon of honey for $30 so honey is my sweetner of choice i won't tell you how many gallons we go thru a year tho at least it is still under 1 gallon a person

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
esperanza (08-12-2015)
Old 08-12-2015, 02:49 PM   #10
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie View Post
I use this one, but reduce the sugar. The chocolate chips make it quite sweet, so we never miss it. I also sub another oil for shortening.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chocola...ad/?mxt=t06dda
That marbling looks super cool. I make chocolate zucchini bread regularly but love the idea of mixing the two to make it extra interesting!

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseforjoy View Post
http://dontwastethecrumbs.com/2014/0...s-and-carrots/

is pretty close to the one i use. i use all honey tho --we live close to a bee farm and get get a gallon of honey for $30 so honey is my sweetner of choice i won't tell you how many gallons we go thru a year tho at least it is still under 1 gallon a person
We buy our honey locally and use it as a main sweetener too. Definitely trying this recipe too.

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmamy View Post
I can help you out with that, but bread would not be at the top of the list. More like, zucchini lasagna and sausage stuffed zucchini boats and zucchini saute and breaded baked zucchini rounds and...
Yea, we literally eat zucchini at every meal in some shape or form.

What's your recipe for breaded baked zucchini rounds? Sounds like something my kids would like.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:29 PM   #11
schmamy
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
Yea, we literally eat zucchini at every meal in some shape or form.

What's your recipe for breaded baked zucchini rounds? Sounds like something my kids would like.
Slice the zucchini into rounds (or sticks). Dip in beaten egg and then in a mixture of breadcrumbs, parmesan, garlic powder + Italian seasoning. I use my PC mister to spray a cookie sheet with olive oil and then lightly spray the breaded zucchini with olive oil. Bake them at 375 for about 20 minutes, then broil for a couple of minutes to brown them on top. Serve with marinara sauce. Kind of a pain, but everyone here loves them.
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

The Following User Says Thank You to schmamy For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (08-12-2015)
Old 08-12-2015, 10:27 PM   #12
MaybeGracie
Moderator in A Twinkle in Our Eyes, Cradled in Our Wombs, Gentle Discipline, Nurturing Our Children, and Let's Talk

MaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond repute

This is the recipe I use (it's delicious ) but I see it includes 2 cups of sugar, which is somehow more than I remembered it including.

1˝ cups all-purpose flour
1˝ cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
3 tsp ground cinnamon
3 eggs
˝ cup vegetable oil
˝ cup applesauce
1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
3 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups grated zucchini
1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)

Grease and flour loaf pans or muffin tins (or use parchment paper/muffin cups).

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Sift flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon together in a medium sized bowl.

Beat eggs, oil, applesauce, vanilla, and sugars together in a large bowl.

Add dry ingredients to the mixture and beat well.

Stir in zucchini and chocolate chips (if using) until well combined.

Pour batter into prepared bans.

Bake for 50 to 60 minutes for loaf or about 22 minutes for muffins, until tester inserted into the center comes out clean.

Remove bread/muffins from the pan and completely cool.

Ezer Kenegdo to Isaac since 2007
Raising Jacob (16), Luke (14), Lily (11), Elizabeth (9), Clara (6), and Emily (3) in the knowledge and love of God

Blogging at The Hippie Housewife about attachment parenting, natural living, life as a Jesus-follower, and more, all tied together through our journey towards a more intentional life.
MaybeGracie is offline   Reply With Quote