Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Breads / Muffins *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 11-19-2015, 11:21 AM   #1
Laurlor
Rose Trellis

Laurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond repute
Default HEALTHY Muffin Recipes

Does anyone have and tried and tested healthy breakfast muffin recipes? DD is unhappy with our breakfast choices so I'm trying to get creative. Thanks!
DD1 (24), married to my dearly loved son-in-law
DD2 (22)
DS (19)
Laurlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:27 AM   #2
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation
Default Re: HEALTHY Muffin Recipes

Not a recipe, but I add ground flaxseed and ground chia seeds to pretty much every baked good, so that increases the health value.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Laurlor (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 11:33 AM   #3
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

What is healthy to you? Would you include oil? Refined sugar as long as it's a muffin and not a cupcake? Non-refined sweeteners in any amount (honey, maple syrup)? White flour? Flour of any kind? So many people here define "healthy" so differently so I want to see where we are starting from.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
bananacake (02-08-2016), ECingMama (02-08-2016), houseforjoy (11-20-2015), knitlove (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 11:41 AM   #4
Laurlor
Rose Trellis

Laurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond repute

Great question. I don't have a hard and fast answer to that. I just want it to have more good than harm, KWIM? So some sugar is fine, just not tons. Oil is fine, but preferably a healthy oil like coconut oil. White flour is fine, but I might prefer a mix of white with some wheat. Adding in healthy fruits, seeds, etc. is great. DD keeps begging me to buy muffins at the store, but they all seem to be high in sugar with little nutritional value. Just wanted to do something homemade that would offer better nutritional value. I'm pretty open to anything that offers mostly good nutritional value.
DD2 (22)
DS (19)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laurlor For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (11-19-2015), Quiteria (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 11:53 AM   #5
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

Here's my go to banana bread and muffin recipe.

I use completely whole wheat flour instead of the all purpose. I only use 1/2 cup sugar. And I add in flax seed and chia. So fairly healthy. And my kids love banana bread and muffins.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/banana_bread/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Laurlor (11-19-2015), Quiteria (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 12:07 PM   #6
Laurlor
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
Here's my go to banana bread and muffin recipe.

I use completely whole wheat flour instead of the all purpose. I only use 1/2 cup sugar. And I add in flax seed and chia. So fairly healthy. And my kids love banana bread and muffins.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/banana_bread/
Do you do both flax and chia together? Any estimate on how much you add?

Thank you!!
DD2 (22)
DS (19)
Old 11-19-2015, 12:26 PM   #7
2sunshines

There truly is no method to my madness.

I buy the chia and flax as seeds, and then grind them up (separately) small portions at a time, to use when I feel like it. Sometimes I put both in, sometimes I just put one or the other.

For one batch of muffins, I probably add about a tablespoon total. I'd probably start with just one or the other. And maybe even start with a lesser amount and see if anyone notices. Mine never have. And I have a few pretty picky ones... BUT I've been cooking this way for a long time so I'm not sure if they have anything else to compare it too, lol
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Laurlor (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 12:31 PM   #8
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

My favorite is Lindsay Nixon's Pineapple Sunshine Muffins, but I can't find the recipe online. They are from the Happy Herbivore Abroad cookbook, which your library might have.

I also love, from the Tightwad Gazette, Amy Dacyczyn's make-your-own-muffin recipe. It says the amounts of grain or flour, liquid, etc, and you can make up what you want.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2015, 12:42 PM   #9
greengirl19
Rose Trellis

For G

greengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond repute

I've made these several different ways for different food restrictions and they're always a winner! http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/20...free-nut-free/

Mom to G since 8/10/09 my crazy 10 yo
Z since 9/10/13 my wild thing 6 yo
Surprise! N born 2/8/16 terrific 4 yo

*my help comes from the Lord above*
greengirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greengirl19 For This Useful Post:
Laurlor (11-19-2015), november (02-09-2016)
Old 11-19-2015, 01:06 PM   #10
Vicki_T
Rose Garden

Vicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond repute

It depends what you mean by 'healthy' - my recipe has oil and white flour (I've not tried replacing it with whole meal but maybe that would work), but no added sugar, only fruit.

1-2 very ripe, mashed bananas
2 medium eggs
125ml vegetable oil
250ml milk
200g self-raising flour
100g oats
100g ground almonds
100g dried, fresh or frozen fruit (with sugar to taste if needed)
Vicki_T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vicki_T For This Useful Post:
Laurlor (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 02:01 PM   #11
Laurlor
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
My favorite is Lindsay Nixon's Pineapple Sunshine Muffins, but I can't find the recipe online. They are from the Happy Herbivore Abroad cookbook, which your library might have.
I think I found a close adaptation! They look good!

http://annarborvegankitchen.com/2013...shine-muffins/
DD2 (22)
DS (19)
Old 11-19-2015, 02:16 PM   #12
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

My go to recipe is from the Le Leche League cookbook. My kids love them. I can post the recipe later this evening.
Laurlor (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 03:04 PM   #13
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

My definition is similar...must have some redeeming quality like fruit or veggies or protein or whole grains, not just a solid lump of white flour and sugar...but some sugar or white flour is okay.

Muffins are one of the few things my kids will eat without complaints, so definitely looking for recipes.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
Laurlor (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 04:00 PM   #14
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Basic Whole Wheat Muffins

Ingredients:

1 c. whole wheat flour
½ c. wheat germ
½ c. ground flax seed
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp cloves
1/3 c. honey or brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 c. milk with a tsp. of lemon juice OR plain yogurt OR buttermilk
3 Tbsp oil or melted butter
Chocolate chips

Directions:

1. Mix dry ingredients in bowl. Make a well in center.

2. Add honey, egg, milk, and oil to the well.

3. Stir until moistened.

4. Fold in chocolate chips.

5. Fill greased muffin cups ½ full. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.

NOTES: Sometimes I bump up the sugar/honey to 1/2 cup instead of 1/3. If I use brown sugar instead of honey, I add it with the dry ingredients. You can use any oil. I've used olive, coconut, and safflower. I also like to use butter. I can't tell the difference in the outcome. If I use yogurt, I usually do half yogurt and half milk or water so it's not so thick. I've also made this with rice milk back when my oldest was dairy free. You can use 2 cups of flour (white or wheat) if you don't have wheat germ or flax seed. I use white whole wheat as opposed to red whole wheat.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:12 PM   #15
Bea423
Deactivated

Bea423 will become famous soon enoughBea423 will become famous soon enough

These muffins (and literally ALL of her baked goods... The sugar cookies are amazing. Nobody knew they had honey AND were whole wheat!) Are a favorite. Her baked goods are light and fluffy and all whole foods. I've been on a long journey looking for good fully whole wheat baking, it's much better years later as I've learned tricks, but it hasn't always been yummy! My husband said "hey you made regular (white flour) muffins this time" (a rare treat). I wanted to high five myself. Now I pretty much just use her recipes

http://www.myhumblekitchen.com/2014/...-chip-muffins/
Bea423 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bea423 For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (02-08-2016), esperanza (02-08-2016), Laurlor (02-11-2016), Quiteria (02-11-2016)