Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public* > Technical Corner (Electronics, Computers, Websites (like Facebook), Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Old 02-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
Laurlor
Rose Trellis

Laurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Instagram ?

DD13 does Instagram. I'm not thrilled about it, but it was something between her and DH. Anyway, I've been monitoring it and there are a couple of people that she's following that have posts that I think are inappropriate for her age. (i.e. one where it places a monitary value on things like "Have you ever had s-x, $10, Have you given someone a bl-w job, $5, etc. ). Is there a way to hide their posts without unfollowing them? I do this on FB and was just wondering if there was a similar thing on Instagram. I don't want to cause any more teen girl drama than I have to by having her actually stop following them....we did that once and it was a disaster. Thanks for any help!
Laurlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
Psyche
Rose Garden

Srsly?

Psyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Instagram ?

She can un follow those people but there is no way to block certain types of posts.

working full time, wife to Jason since '02, mom to C 12 years old, J 9 years old , and T 6 years old , mouse catching, Izzy, and rabbit chasing, Ellie.
Psyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
LovinBeingMommy
Rose Garden

The many faces of Monkey

LovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Instagram doesn't work like Facebook. Following doesn't mean you are being followed by the person. Unfollowing is essentially the same as taking them out of your feed on Facebook. You don't see their posts anymore, but they are still able to follow you. It's like Twitter--I don't have to follow you for you to follow me.

If it's between her and your DH, I would talk to DH about it and let him be the one to have her unfollow users that are inappropriate for her. FWIW, Instagram has always made me a little uncomfortable because it's public, too. I don't really even use it, even though the filters are fun. I use the filters and save to my phone instead of posting.

Most definitely INFJ

Be my friend?!
(Just let me know you're a GCM )
LovinBeingMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
J3K
Deactivated

Hi ! I'm Myrtle. I like to pretend I'm an R.O.U.S.

J3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond repute

I'd let dh talk to her about it.

I'd also offer a bit of grace. Sometimes people I trust post things I don't like on my dd's fb page. They aren't bad people , I know them in real life, they just said something rude/crude/inappropriate. It's not worth unfriending/following them.
J3K is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J3K For This Useful Post:
Rabbit (02-03-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
Laurlor
Rose Trellis

Laurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3K View Post
I'd let dh talk to her about it.

I'd also offer a bit of grace. Sometimes people I trust post things I don't like on my dd's fb page. They aren't bad people , I know them in real life, they just said something rude/crude/inappropriate. It's not worth unfriending/following them.
I agree 100% with the advice...thank you. I had called DH this morning when I found the posts (he has the kids camping this weekend....yippee!) and talked to him about it. He said he totally agreed with me and was thinking about how to handle it. I just thought it would be easiest handled to hide the posts from these two girls if possible without actually unfollowing them....I didn't want them to notice DD had unfollowed them and cause drama. DD unfollowed somebody once and much drama ensued.

The two girls in question were in question long before these posts. The posts only confirm what I already know about them. One of the girls (13!!) posted all these screen shots of asking SIRI questions....like "Where can I find a prostitute?" and "I'm drunk. What should I do?" She's a girl from our charter school that has caused lots of drama this year. I was actually notified of the posts by a fellow mom, because her DD texted the girl and told her she should be careful what she posts because it puts her in a bad light. Many nasty texts were the result, and my DD was named in one of them basically as the "good" girls who need to lay off of her. That's another story....I've advised DD already not to correct her. The other girl is in DD's youth group at church and has also been causing a lot of trouble with the youth leaders.

But I'll definitely be letting DH handle this...it doesn't go over well coming from me these days.

Thanks for the advice and help!

Last edited by Laurlor; 02-03-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Laurlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
LovinBeingMommy
Rose Garden

The many faces of Monkey

LovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Instagram sends unfollow notifications, so they'd have to have a short list of followers and pay attention to notice... I know for people with hundreds of followers, it's easy to slip through the cracks.

If the girls are already an issue, though, you can likely expect drama of some sort, whether she unfollows them or not.

Most definitely INFJ

Be my friend?!
(Just let me know you're a GCM )
LovinBeingMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LovinBeingMommy For This Useful Post:
Laurlor (02-03-2013)