Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:28 AM   #1
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bible versions?

I have the NIV Life Application Bible and like it. I want to buy a bible for my oldest two. Looking at the Life App. NLT bible.

What version do you have or like?
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:05 AM   #2
FlyingBlueKiwi
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

FlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bible versions?

Be aware that not all versions that call themselves translations are translations. For example, the NLT is a loose paraphrase. Many women here, including me, would argue that their translation of the Proverbs "rod verses" for example, are a very bad translation.

Go Team Lioness!!!
FlyingBlueKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:41 AM   #3
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up with the NIV so I like it because it is familiar to me. I also have an NLT and I like it and that is what my kids use.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #4
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

I like the Amplified version. Other than that, the King James (rejecting the heretical doctrine that it is inspired.)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (11-07-2017), MariJo7 (11-15-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 09:34 AM   #5
light of mine
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Baby smooches

light of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond repute

The ESV is my favorite version. I think it is solid and the language is easily understandable.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:25 AM   #6
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

I find charts like this helpful when I am looking for new transitions.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
FlyingBlueKiwi (11-07-2017), Hermana Linda (11-07-2017), kiloyd (11-07-2017), Reva (11-08-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 12:33 PM   #7
Lena O.
Rosebud

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a shadow." - Helen Keller

Lena O. is just really niceLena O. is just really niceLena O. is just really niceLena O. is just really niceLena O. is just really nice

NKJV and NLT
kiloyd (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 01:59 PM   #8
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

CEB is my favorite, hands down.

I like the newest version of the amplified Bible for extra context.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Hermana Linda (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 02:07 PM   #9
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

Our church recommends NRSV. It can be hard to find in study bible format.

I like NIV and the Message for personal reading.

A bible school friend recommended NASB to me years ago. I like it too.

Honestly, I have not found significant differences in the passages overall meaning. I have found the flow to be an issue for some. For example, I do not like the NIrV. And the graphic above explains why. It's written at a 3rd grade level. Super short sentences and very basic language.

For your children, if you can find the translation you like in an Inductive Study Bible from Kay Arthur, the study helps and extra room per page are really great!

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Tickle Momster For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 08:26 PM   #10
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingBlueKiwi View Post
Be aware that not all versions that call themselves translations are translations. For example, the NLT is a loose paraphrase. Many women here, including me, would argue that their translation of the Proverbs "rod verses" for example, are a very bad translation.
Good to know!

---------- Post added at 03:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by light of mine View Post
The ESV is my favorite version. I think it is solid and the language is easily understandable.
Will look at that one. My daughter is 13 and want this to be her possible forever Bible. Son too. None of that fluffy "teen bible" or "girl bible", etc.

---------- Post added at 03:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
CEB is my favorite, hands down.

I like the newest version of the amplified Bible for extra context.
What is the CE? ETA: found it in the chart!

Our church just got the CSB, which apparently was HCSB. I don't care for it.

---------- Post added at 03:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 AM ----------

My head is swimming! So many versions!
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:31 PM   #11
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have access to a christian bookstore? I wonder if you could go in and look through the different translations looking at some of your favorite passages to get a feel for what might be best. Or actually I guess you could read parallel versions on Bible Gateway or blueletterbible.org to get a feel for what you think your kids might like.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (11-08-2017), The Tickle Momster (11-07-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 08:47 AM   #12
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

For a young person, I would buy NLT. It is actually a translation, not a paraphrase, from what I understand. CEB, Message, Living Bible would all be considered paraphrases.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 09:48 AM   #13
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Here is one review of the CEB with pros and cons.

http://www.authenticlight.org/2010/0...bible.html?m=1
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (11-08-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 08:47 PM   #14
Jeanette598
Rose Trellis

Jeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to behold

Yes, NLT is a translation, although much more toward the "thought for thought" side than the more literal "word for word" translations like NASB and others. NLT was put together by a big team of scholars and essentially replaced The Living Bible, which was a one-person paraphrase. It tries to retain some of the freshness of The Living Bible but more accurately reflect the original languages. (I used to work for the publisher. )

Personally, I like NLT for devotional reading and ESV for Bible study. But both of my kids have NIV, which I think is a good middle ground if you're only going to use one version.

If you go to Biblegateway.com, you can look up a passage in multiple versions. I'd suggest looking up something familiar, like Psalm 23. That will give you a good feel for readability, differences in wording, etc.
M, our much-loved dd #1, born 8/03 (C-section)
B, our long-awaited dd #2, born 11/28/08 (natural VBAC)
Jeanette598 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeanette598 For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (11-13-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 09:35 PM   #15
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

There is a really nice chart that I can't find. A friend posted it on FB last year. I am trying to find it. Sigh.

I have memorized so many verses from the NIV that the others don't sound right to me.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (11-13-2017)