Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:30 AM   #1
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

An Enneagram 7 type 1/2 ENTP

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Good and The Beautiful vs My Father's World

These are the two curriculums I think I have myself narrowed down to for next year. I've never done either of them (we've always done Classical Conversation, but won't be near a campus next year, and I'd also just like to try something different).

TGATB is so new that it's hard to find many reviews or comparisons about it, and what I have found makes the two sound so similar that it's hard to know which to pick.

If you have any input about either of them, please chime in!

I will be homeschooling very advanced 1st, 3rd, and 5th graders next year, as well as a nonverbal 4th grader for whom I'm adapting whatever we do with the others.
Missing three I will meet in Heaven (Feb 2012), (Apr 2016) & (Jun 2020)

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde
MrsHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsHutch For This Useful Post:
sprout (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 11:31 AM   #2
sprout
Rose Garden

sprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Good and The Beautiful vs My Father's World

following. I have nothing of help to add. I have always like MFW though even though I have not had the opportunity to use it yet. I am quite interested in hearing what others think though.
sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sprout For This Useful Post:
MrsHutch (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 11:48 AM   #3
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

I have one of the science units from the good and the beautiful and I follow along on my father's world Facebook group ( I was really looking at them last year)

I think my father's world will be much closer ot what you have been doing with classical conversations. The good and the beautiful seems to have a different vibe about it.

And ya I know that isn't very helpful at all. I keep looking at them for wiggle worm because I don't think what I have been useing for early bird will be a good fit for her.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
MrsHutch (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 11:52 AM   #4
sprout
Rose Garden

sprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond repute

knitlove, could you please elaborate on the "vibe" statement?
sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:59 AM   #5
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprout View Post
knitlove, could you please elaborate on the "vibe" statement?
I will think about it and try latter.

The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
sprout (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #6
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

I've used both in limited ways.

I haven't used MFW in years, however we had a hard time getting through everything. Not sure if it is family culture or amount of work. Also, the science was kind of dry.

I feel like TGATB is more gentle. We are using just the history. My kids are 15 and 9. They find the history itself good. The audio stories are rather saccharine. However, the material covered is important.

I looked at TGATB reading list. It is nothing surprising, however it is much too conservative for my preferences. They leave off some important classics because of swearing or violence. Think The Hobbit/LOTR for older kids.

MFW does not shy away from the difficult stuff but it does push it toward later years. They believe in insulation until able to handle it. I much prefer their philosophy.

If you have more specific questions, I'm happy to try & answer them.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Tickle Momster For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (02-19-2018), MrsHutch (02-19-2018), sprout (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 02:36 PM   #7
knitlove
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tickle Momster View Post
I've used both in limited ways.

I haven't used MFW in years, however we had a hard time getting through everything. Not sure if it is family culture or amount of work. Also, the science was kind of dry.

I feel like TGATB is more gentle. We are using just the history. My kids are 15 and 9. They find the history itself good. The audio stories are rather saccharine. However, the material covered is important.
I think this is a better answer to what I was trying to say about vibe. The MFW people seem to always be talking about how to get it all done, or how it takes a long time, or would it be ok if I skipped this. TGATB seems much more gentle, it is also designed to feel calm. MFW's grid alone makes me feel a bit anxious.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
MrsHutch (02-19-2018), sprout (02-19-2018), squiddles (02-20-2018), The Tickle Momster (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 03:47 PM   #8
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Those are really helpful thoughts! Thank you!

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

I think I'm struggling because I feel really drawn to TGATB, but I REALLY like the idea of the Exploring Countries and Cultures year in MFW...

BUT, the Language Arts is separate, so what if I did the ECC from MFW, and the Language Arts and Handwriting from TGATB?

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrsHutch For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (02-19-2018), Quiteria (02-19-2018), squiddles (02-20-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 03:51 PM   #9
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

You could do that. Do you have a plan for science? ECC would be your history/social studies. It was ECC science that we couldn't get into.

The LA from TGATB will cover a lot of that over the years too. It covers Reading, writing, literature, spelling, grammar & punctuation, vocabulary, geography, and art.

Doing both might be a bit much.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Tickle Momster For This Useful Post:
MrsHutch (02-19-2018), sprout (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 04:07 PM   #10
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

Ehhhhh I don't have a plan for science... also good to know that they overlap a bit...

Old 02-19-2018, 11:40 PM   #11
StewardofLOs
Rose Trellis

"What if Your blessings come through raindrops? What if Your healing comes through tears?"

StewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant future

Don't know anything about the other curriculum, but we've been doing MFW pretty much from the beginning of our journey (so about 5 years)

We will be launching into ECC next year, and since they don't provide language arts (they make suggestions) we do HWT and AAR/AAS (DS has dyslexia). So I don't see why you couldn't use the other curriculum for that

I agree that their science leaves a lot to be desired. A friend of the family got the kids a subscription to a monthly STEAM box this past Christmas that's helping right now, but I'm not sure what we're going to do next year

The main thing that brings me back again and again to MFW is how they try to keep everything integrated. The history ties in to Bible and science and music.....we don't always have time for everything, but I like the options. Our curriculum topic/theme this past year (Adventures.....?) has us exploring the Bible by focusing on the names of Jesus, which I feel the kids have reacted well too. I'm excited to see what they do for ECC.

I've also heard great things about SOTW, which MFW incorporates starting with ECC, so I'm excited about that as well.

married 12 yrs to DH
ENFP, T1
currently battling hemeralopia-induced blindness and chronic pain for the 3rd time

mama to five:
10.5yo DS (my serious T4)
8yo DD (my sparkly T1)
3.5yo DD (my precious T2)
one I will hold in heaven

StewardofLOs is offline   Reply With Quote