Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
saturnfire16
Rose Garden

saturnfire16 has disabled reputation
Default Is anyone still doing HTCI?

I just moved and as I unpack I'm trying to implement HTCI ideas right off the bat. It's a little tough, because I can't change the house to fit my habits when I don't know what my habits in this house will be yet. But some habits will be the same anywhere.

Some things I've done:

I identified the sight zones in the kitchen and living room right away, so that as I unpacked and arranged furniture I could take that into account. I will do this as I work on the other rooms too.

I've been making a list of things I need, like more trashcans since I have more rooms now and more cleaning station supplies.

I'm prayer walking in the rooms before I unpack.

Is anyone else still using this book?

Wife to D
Mama to:
E 12/05
L 7/08
Z 12/10
A 6/14
and J in heaven 2/10

Torah Keeping, Unschooling Family

My blog on unschooling and family life: Peace On Dark Nights.
saturnfire16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saturnfire16 For This Useful Post:
Heather R (08-05-2014), Quiteria (08-08-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 10:51 PM   #2
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation
Default Re: Is anyone still doing HTCI?

I am - not so much in a formal way but in a look around and figure out how to fix the problems and be really practical way

We still need to get rid of the decluttered stuff It got super hot and we are kind of waiting out the summer - but we have it out in the garage and I hope to go through more things this month.

I need more hangars - and a better spot to put things I'm cleaning out from my closet until I figure out where they are going.

I will say I love love love the baskets I put on the stairs. They really are an amazing help!
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
saturnfire16 (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 01:04 AM   #3
BlissfullyEsther
Rose Trellis

BlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my, yes I am still doing HTCI. Slowly, but surely, it is helping me so very, very much. Hmm, this is a public forum but I might post before and after pics of my bedroom in a less public spot. It has been properly clean for months now, with no noticable effort from me. It's amazing! There are a few spots around the house I'm struggling with, but mostly the things I HTCI stay remarkably clean.

In the search for community which combines a love of our Creator with a love of raising children gently.

Echidna, 7.5yo: "Does icebergs (aspergers) mean lots of lego?"
BlissfullyEsther is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlissfullyEsther For This Useful Post:
saturnfire16 (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
saturnfire16
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove View Post

I will say I love love love the baskets I put on the stairs. They really are an amazing help!
Are the baskets on the stairs for throwing things in that need to go up?

I'm thinking about doing something like that in the kitchen. The kitchen counter became a catch-all for things in the old house, and I see it happening again already in this house. I'm not sure if I want a little basket on the counter or a small laundry basket size one somewhere near by.

---------- Post added at 08:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlissfullyEsther View Post
Oh my, yes I am still doing HTCI. Slowly, but surely, it is helping me so very, very much. Hmm, this is a public forum but I might post before and after pics of my bedroom in a less public spot. It has been properly clean for months now, with no noticable effort from me. It's amazing! There are a few spots around the house I'm struggling with, but mostly the things I HTCI stay remarkably clean.
I would love to see pictures. Things that I did in the other house stayed fairly clean too.

Wife to D
Mama to:
E 12/05
L 7/08
Z 12/10
A 6/14
and J in heaven 2/10

The Following User Says Thank You to saturnfire16 For This Useful Post:
BlissfullyEsther (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 11:16 AM   #5
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

I have some great before pictures, lol! I don't feel like I have any good afters to share yet. It would be good to have a new thread in a non-public thread to share our successes and pictures.

I did my yearly hose down of the garage a few weeks ago, and now I am in the middle of reorganizing my crawl space. I am thinking about how and where I store things differently after reading the HTCI book. It is going to be a slow process for me because other things come up in life, too. I read the book through quickly, but now I would like to go through it again more slowly, and implementing more of the ideas that pop into my head as I read.

I'll share one success I've had that was suggested in the book. I replaced my entry rug with a bigger rug, and far less dirt is getting tracked into the house. Most of it stays on the rug. It is amazing how something small can have such a big impact.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
BlissfullyEsther (08-05-2014), saturnfire16 (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #6
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

We're HTCIing our new house too and it's really helping. I have some additional things I'm going to do, like putting our extra dresser in the entryway for winter stuff.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2014, 01:51 PM   #7
Ramee151
Rose Blossom

Ramee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to behold

I'm sorta here. I have the book and find a change to make every so often. Its just not something I've had the time to devote to really DOING yet in a big way yet.
Ramee151 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ramee151 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2014, 03:01 PM   #8
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

gerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, someone needs to spill about what HTCI stands for so I can look it up. I'm not getting anything about cleaning houses - which I'm desperately in need of.

thanks.
gerberadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:25 PM   #9
RiverRock

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a link to the book and the author's webpage. In past threads, most people have been using her second version of the book, so that is probably th one you would want to read. http://www.mindystarnsclark.com/house.php
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (08-05-2014), BlissfullyEsther (08-05-2014), gerberadaisy (08-05-2014), Llee (08-06-2014), Ramee151 (08-06-2014), saturnfire16 (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 03:59 PM   #10
BlissfullyEsther
Rose Trellis

BlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond repute

The book was great but the main good thing about the book is available on her website (evidence record form in the above link). Honestly I got more out of the threads on here than the book. If you search HTCI you'll find a few threads which are miles long and jam-packed full of awesomeness!

In the search for community which combines a love of our Creator with a love of raising children gently.

Echidna, 7.5yo: "Does icebergs (aspergers) mean lots of lego?"
BlissfullyEsther is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissfullyEsther For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (08-05-2014), Llee (08-06-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 04:05 PM   #11
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

In another thread we had here about HTCI, I mentioned that I'd like to update my family room to make it work better for us, making the office space better, getting excess books off of the floor, etc., and I'm happy to report that we were able to declutter, get some new furniture that works better and re-arrange.
Quote:
Yes, I'm another who would be able to share before and after pics in less public spot. I'm so excited about it.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
BlissfullyEsther (08-05-2014), Llee (08-06-2014), RiverRock (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 05:38 PM   #12
RiverRock

Quote:
The book was great but the main good thing about the book is available on her website (evidence record form in the above link). Honestly I got more out of the threads on here than the book. If you search HTCI you'll find a few threads which are miles long and jam-packed full of awesomeness!
I agree, the past threads are "jam-packed full of awesomeness!"
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:53 PM   #13
marigold
Rose Trellis

marigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud of

Umm, I'm still working on the piles of things in my kitchen, I actually have some counter space that is now staying clean. It is definately still a work in progress though.
ds1 - June 2009
ds2 - April 2011
ds3 - October 2013
dd2 - November 2015
Image already added
marigold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:07 PM   #14
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

I am.

We moved too. I am paying attention to sight lines too. And am already de-cluttering. Moving ALL MY STUFF really helped me see that more must go.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #15
saturnfire16
Rose Garden

I got a ton out of the old threads too, long before I read the book. But having the book is allowing me to easily flip a the chapter I want when I'm going "Now, what were the solutions for this...."

But here's something I need ideas from you all on. What do you all do with drawing paper for the kids? I have piles of both new paper (printer, lined, card stock, construction paper) and scratch paper (old flyers, anything that's wrinkled or has a few marks but can still be used). Where/how do you store it so it's easy to access and easy for them to get into without spreading it everywhere?

Wife to D
Mama to:
E 12/05
L 7/08
Z 12/10
A 6/14
and J in heaven 2/10